TN: 1989 Beaucastel - Hommage a Jacques Perrin - WOOOOOOW

HarryKaris

TN: 1989 Beaucastel - Hommage a Jacques Perrin - WOOOOOOW

Post by HarryKaris »

To be honest it was not my intension opening this one and only 1989 HaJP bottle left tonight. I just wanted to drink a regular 1989 Beaucastel but forgot there was one bottle of the HaJP among the other 1989's. Just checked the vintage and NOT the label. Long story short it took me a while to come over the shock when I find out it was a HaJP.......but comfort myself by saying "okay, it is open anyway.... lets enjoy and forget"........

This is an amazing wine - very vital and vibrant looking. Strong gamey nose in the beginning and faded gradually by time. Superb concentration and plenty of cassis, tobacco, leather,truffle, spices with slightly smoky accents. Oh so dynamic and intense.
The structure and balance won my utmost respect. The racy and overpowering never ending finish is so impressive.....a monumental wine
I am convinced that this wine easily will survive at least 2 more decades.

CdP-Harry
stefan

Re: TN: 1989 Beaucastel - Hommage a Jacques Perrin - WOOOOOOW

Post by stefan »

Great "mistake", Harry! The '89 Jacques Perrin is a legend.

stefan
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

So it sounds like 1989 Beaucastel is the 1989 Lynch Bages of the southern Rhone: The greatest wine in the region in the past fifty years.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Jim,
1989 Lynch Bages is good, but is it the greatest wine in the region in the last 50 years? It surely still is one of the best mature super wines of the region as far as P/Q ratio is concerned.

Harry,
How does the 1989 HaJP compare to the regular bottling of the 1989 Beaucastel? To my great disappointment I must admit that I've never tasted the 1989 or 1990 HaJP. They are at the very top end of my "wish-list". I consumed a bottle of the regular bottling of the 1989 several weeks ago and this was one of the best showings yet of this wine. Simply brilliant and a great example of the ageing capabilities of CdP.

ChrisW
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Chris: I assure you that 1989 Lynch Bages is the greatest wine produced in the region of Bordeaux since 1961, and we intend to prove it later this week at a blind tasting in Washington, D.C. You will have to join us sometime at one of our conventions, I would love to analyze a glass of that classic, legendary Pauillac with you, perhaps even with a tasty Maine whoopie pie treat. Jim
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Jim,
I'm sorry to miss the upcoming convention. It would have been great to taste the 1989 LBages. I've tasted it only ones (probably because you've bought/consumed all other bottles that were made).

1989 is a great Bordeaux vintage. Last night we consumed the 1989 Grand Mayne. Could have been a bit more expressive in the nose (and would have probably been if we had opened it earlier) but such a perfect and balanced aftertaste. Still very much alive and will stay strong for at least a decade to come. We almost opened a second bottle as the first one disappeared so quickly.

ChrisW
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We are planning a heist of the Francois Adouze Cellar, Chris, as rumors have it that he is hoarding the entire collection of '89 Lynch that exists on the continent of Europe.
HarryKaris

Post by HarryKaris »

Jim, you will love this 1989 HaJP even more than the regular Beaucastel - so profound and complex - a more than interesting mingle-mangle of northern-southern Rhône and Bordeaux characteristics.............

Chris, I can only confirm Jim's opinion regarding the 1989 LB. Last time was with the CdP-winemakers in my cellar...that bottle was so stunning....CdP-winemakers were perplex by its class and quality and outclassed a 1982 Figeac, 1996 Mouton and 1998 l'Evangile by far.

I am drinking the 'regular' 1989 Beaucastel about every 2 months - I have plenty and think they drink very well now. BUT compared with the HaJP a assure you that this wine is from another planet.......even better than the 1990 and 1998 Henri Bonneau I had recently.

CdP-Harry
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Harry,
did you get your DC hotel sorted out? Let me know if I can help.

Jay
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Drinking the 89 HaJP is on my list of 50 things I want to do before I die because the regular Beau 89 is my favourite C9DP

Quite a bold/controversial/provocative(?) statement by Monsieur How re the Lynch 89. Maybe we should schedule an 89 Bordeaux horizontal (with the B'castel as a ringer (in a claret bottle) with money resting on the outcome?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Comte, that was actually done at Chicago '01, with the following line up:

First Place: 1989 Lynch Bages, the finest wine of Bordeaux since '61
Second place: 1990 Lagrange
Third Place: 1989 Pichon "The Purple Baron" Baron
Fourth Place: 1989 Beaucastel
Fifth Place: 1982 Grand Puy Lacoste
Sixth Place: 1973 Petrus
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Interesting...

A year or two back a bunch of us did a tasting where the main event was a Lynch-Bages 1989 vs Lafite 1989 and opinions were fairly evenly divided round the table. The Lynch showed very well in an exuberant, even flashy style, while the Lafite was more brooding. A good analogy might be a boat race where the Lynch comes roaring out of the blocks but the Lafite reels it in and eventually overhauls it. The Lynch provides the most gratification now but the Lafite will probably turn out to be the greater wine.

But on the back of the 1986 tasting we should perhaps do a 1989 tasting, aged 20. Sometime later this year in the City but not too close to other scheduled events - maybe late September?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sounds like a plan. Boy, I remember the days back when I used to be able to drink Lafite. I too recall Lafite '89 as closed and brooding, but that was probably because I drank it too young.
HarryKaris

Post by HarryKaris »

Jay Winton wrote:Harry,
did you get your DC hotel sorted out? Let me know if I can help.

Jay
Thanks for remembering me Jay. Because I couldn't finalize things yet I didn't contact you......I'll send you e PM as I decided today regarding my schedule...

Harry