TNR- 2009 Ch Lillian Ladouys?

Gerry M.

TNR- 2009 Ch Lillian Ladouys?

Post by Gerry M. »

I was checking out the remaining 09" Bordeaux inventory in NH and was comparing to Cellartracker notes. I noticed that this is quite a popular QPR bottle amongst the members with over 4K bottles.

Does anyone have any experiance with this? The net pricing on the sale wlll be just north of $20/btl so I'm intrigued to see if a case would be worth it.
Winesense

Re: TNR- 2009 Ch Lillian Ladouys?

Post by Winesense »

Hi,

The Chateau is under new capable ownership. The 2009 should be very good from the tasting notes I am reading. WSNBN gives 90 points and so do the TN on cellartracker. Guess you can't go wrong for that price.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I thought a Tesseron owned this. Not Alfred but a brother or cousin. Or am I thinking of Lafon Rochet?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I bought 2 cases of the 2003 after trying a bottle early on and then seeing it being reduced to $22 a bottle on clear out sale. This has continued to improve and we are slowly drinking our way through the small stash loving it more and more with each successive bottle. Because of the 2003 I bought a case of the 2009 futures thinking it must be a no brainer with higher ratings than the 03. Unfortunately I have not popped a bottle yet to give feed back. I'd be happy to try one but I've entered a post New Years wine fast to dry out a little for the next few weeks until we head down to Florida to hit some good stuff with friends. On our return I promise ITNOS I'll pop and pour a bottle and report back. Trying to show some discipline to give the liver and belly a break.
Danny
Winesense

Post by Winesense »

Lafon Rochet is owne by a Tesseron. Lilian Ladouys belongs to Vincent Mulliez.
PaulF

Post by PaulF »

Gerry,

Empire Wine has the 2010 Lilian Landoys for $21.99. I order from them quite frequently without any problems.

Paul
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lilian Ladouys is not rated by He Who Shall Remain Nameless, it can't be very good, no?
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

PaulF wrote:Gerry,

Empire Wine has the 2010 Lilian Landoys for $21.99. I order from them quite frequently without any problems.

Paul
Geez, I was just in Albany yesterday on business, I was meaning to stop by but time didn't allow it.

I think I'll pick up a bottle and test drive this week.
Winesense

Post by Winesense »

2009 Lilian Ladouys
Lilian Ladouys visit the producer
A Bordeaux Blend Dry Red Table wine from
St Estephe, Bordeaux, France
Source Reviewer Rating Maturity Current (Release) Cost
Wine Advocate #199
Feb 2012 Robert Parker 90 Drink: 2012 - 2027 $20-$31 (32)
Elegant, with loads of black currant fruit, cherries and dusty, loamy soil notes as well as hints of tobacco leaf, spice box and cedar, it is a medium to full-bodied, nicely textured, fleshy wine that should drink nicely for 10-15+ years.

This is the best wine I have ever tasted from this property, which has gone through many changes and frequent listless, uninspiring performances. The change to a better class of St.-Estephe was started by the late Vincent Mulliez, who passed away tragically last year, but who got things started by reducing yields, cleaning up the place, eliminating the TCA that had tainted so many wines in the past, and going with a blend of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Merlot. The result is the best wine they have ever made, or at least the finest I have ever tasted from them.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the post winesense. I'm looking forward to your report Gerry, I may have to try one.
chris kissack

Post by chris kissack »

Haven't tasted the 2009, but the 2010 is certainly a much better wine than those vintages I have previously tasted.

The renaissance is down to new owner Jacky Lorenzetti, who bought the place in 2008, before then also buying Pédesclaux in Pauillac the following year. Vincent Mulliez no doubt brought a lot of skill to the table, but he was manager/winemaker not proprietor. He died a premature death, from a heart attack, in 2010.

I would look for better things from Lilian-Ladouys and Pédesclaux in the future. To some extent (certainly with Lilian-Ladouys - my experience of older Pédesclaux is more limited) the wines couldn't get much worse anyway.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I'm a fan of the 2000 and the 2003. They are quite different wines though.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I broke my wine fast early. OK so I'm weak but the first wine pulled out as promised was the 2009 Lilian Ladouys. I don't usually pop these this young but right out of the bottle the nose was surprisingly open with dark brambly fruit,menthol and toasty oak. Some slightly off putting rubber/tar notes. Lots of dark fruit up front,heat showing from the 14% alc ,ripe tannins but charred oak to me is disjointed and dominating. This will be a good wine down the road but at this time its why I like my Bordeaux a little/a lot older to let everything knit together. The heat and oak make the wine awkward but I'm sure this will come together. Certainly a more modern style Bordeaux(Parkerized if you may) but like the 2003 this will certainly provide enjoyment in the intermediate term. For those that don't mind chewing a little you may enjoy this a little more than I did.
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

Pray tell, Danny, what is a "wine fast"?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I wine fast in conjunction with dieting. If I didn't have some sort of discipline with my love of food and wine I wouldn't be able fit through a door. Once my fat pants start feeling snug I know it's time and that happened in October. Was doing great shedding 16lbs and then Christmas struck....so felt the guilt and tried to start back New Years Day. Florida this week coming then skiing two weeks later and I figured who am I trying to kid. I'll see what happens in March and tread water until then.
Danny
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

FYI, I did try a bottle of this and for A QPR it's very good value. By day two this had settled down very well. I'm not qualified to evaluate how this will benefit from aging but within the next 3-5 years this should prove to be very enjoyable.

Also, I just got an e-mail from Garagiste with an offer for $19.98/btl. At that price I think I'll have to bite.