TN 2007 Produttori del Barbaresco

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TN 2007 Produttori del Barbaresco

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Was browsing the local wine store (Tamura's) for a Chianti to have with pizza yesterday only to have my brain fail me on the vintage reps from 07 onward. Looking past these then I was surprised to see a fair selection of Barolo/Barbaresco/Nebbiolo and decided to give this one a try. Off the top of my head I seemed to recall 07 being killa in the region (as it turns out I was recalling 04, when I stocked a number of Baroli). I was hoping it was also the vintage of declassified riservas/single vintage bottlings of this producer but I see now this is not so. In any event I can understand why this producer is so well-liked here and elsewhere. This was a very nice bottle that is drinking very well. A mixed bouquet of strawberries and rose petals, a very generous and ripe palate, yet pleasingly light mouthfeel. There was a very interesting and somewhat incongrous (to the mind - it was delicious to the taste) juxtaposition of a sort of burgundian strawberry flavor, complete with some citrusy/cranberry acidity, with a pruney/raisiny/tobacco-ey aspect. I can't quite imagine what keeping this for another 10 years would do for it because it definitely seemed so open and user friendly at this point, but who knows. I did not get a sense of great structure - but this could be due as much to the quality of the fruit, as is said of 09 Bordeaux - but maybe this would last on the acidity if the tannin really isn't up to it. While I haven't got the storage for it I won't hesitate to try another at $34, but before that I'm going to try some of the Langhe Nebbiolos they have in the ~$20 area.
robertgoulet

Re: TN 2007 Produttori del Barbaresco

Post by robertgoulet »

Saw one local for $25 will grab one
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Glad to hear the normale shows well in 07. The 05 and 06 normale are amazing for the price, but they will show better with some more age. I had a Produttori 07 Ovello Riserva in August, and I was duly impressed and it did indeed seem like a vintage that shows well young. 2007, I believe, was quite ripe and flashy in northern Italy, and some producers were OTT as a result... but it appears that ripeness suits Produttori's style well (like say Sociando Mallet in vintages like 1990, 2003). I dunno if they still make them like they used to, but the 1970 Rabaja I had on my 40th was really something special.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

The non single vineyard vintage is 06 which is quite brooding and backward. 05 Riservas are starting to sing now.

07 was a warm/ripe vintage and general feeling is that unlike typical vintages like 04, 05, 06, 08, these wines won't shut down but simply develop over the next 10-20 years.

Produttori makes great value wine, and I'm glad I've got plenty of the 06 and a mixed case of 07 barbaresco and riservas.
The 08s are going to be shipped soon. I tasted some barrel samples, and they are more classic but are generally disjointed (all the components are there) they just need time to pull themselves together.

J
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)