1999 faustino gran reserva

robertgoulet

1999 faustino gran reserva

Post by robertgoulet »

I tasted the '64 this year and found it charming, open and more youthful than its label suggested, really enjoyable.

The '99 is nice follow up. Wow, you can hold your nose well outside the rim of glass and still enjoy the wonderful pungent aroma's, plenty of leather, bike tire, egg yolk, roasted root beer and fig notes. Just enjoying these interesting scents.

The palate is open with earthy cherry, dates, tabacco, hazelnut and sweet spices through the front half and then laser blasts of acidity the latter. The acidity clearly builds here over time shielding some of the palate flavor. A nice lingering aftertaste leaving you craving more.

At $33 bucks this is rocking my face off.

I doubt this has the superior longevity of the '64 I would drink these now, it's plenty ready.
Last edited by robertgoulet on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
robertgoulet

Re: 1999 faustino gran reserva

Post by robertgoulet »

Orlandorobert was really impressed by the frosted glass bottle, very sexy...lol

Actually he said, " this is the ugliest bottle he's ever seen!"
Claret

Post by Claret »

I used to sell Faustino and earned an all expenses paid reward trip to Spain in 2000.

At the Bodega we toured and tasted the 1964, 1970 and 1982 Grand Reserva’s direct from the library. All were excellent but that 64 was the clear standout. In the same league with 1970 Vega Sicilia.

Of course when I was working with Faustino samples in the trade I always made sure to leave at least a little bit of the Reserva or Gran Reserva to polish of with dinner. I have not tasted Faustino lately and have seen the 98 GR on the shelf at Total Wine. IIRC 98 was an off vintage in Rioja. Enjoyed a 95 a year ago. The 99 sounds interesting.
Glenn
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

I tasted the unico '70, 2 years back.... For me the faustino' 64 is the better wine.... Unico marred by disjointed acidity, but tasted quite youthful.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Yea, but the "bike tire" note revved me up! You are such a temptress! What's next, sweaty saddle leather?

I'm all over this shiz.

Popped a 2010 Clape Vin De Amis tonight to pair with some grilled pork loin marinated in mojito and sour oranges. Netherworldly. Clape is a dream.

My inner debate: Major federal court hearing tomorrow morning versus 1/3 remaining bottle of Clape staring at me with beady little eye. My eyes, my eyes!!!
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

so far this is my woty in it's short span...this wine is frigin ridiculously good,