TN: 2010 JL Chave "Mon Coeur" CdR

Chasse-Spleen

TN: 2010 JL Chave "Mon Coeur" CdR

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

2010 JL Chave "Mon Coeur" CdR

Not having tasted this cuvee in awhile, I wasn't sure what to expect. Past examples were a bit stern, suggesting that they needed time to come around. The 2010 vintage is a beauty, and the wines seem to drink well right now. This wine was no exception. Opaque dark purple with dark fruit and a whiff of earthy minerals on the nose. Sweet tannins. Full bodied but with a medium bodied personality, ie no heaviness or massive alcohol. Great depth and delicious flavors of currants and cassis. Good structure and balance. It is hard to call this exactly a Cotes du Rhone. It doesn't taste like anything from the Southern Rhone. It is extremely smooth and elegant with no kirsh flavors or spicy, funky elements, not that I don't love that jazz. I'm having trouble finding the blend but there must be a high percentage of Syrah. The grenache does not come across or dominate. It reminds me of the Clape CdR or Vin des Amis. Slightly better than Des Amis, not quite as complex as Clape CdR, but right up there. Perfectly delicous stuff. I kept wondering, if I bought another bottle, would it be as good as this the second time around? It would be a beautiful life with Mon Coeur as the house red.

Chasse
OrlandoRobert

Re: TN: 2010 JL Chave "Mon Coeur" CdR

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Wow, need to grab some of this given your comparison to the Clape VDA, which I think is fantastic in 2010. Have not had the Mon Coeur in quite a few years.
Chasse-Spleen

Re: TN: 2010 JL Chave "Mon Coeur" CdR

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I had the Clape VDA 2009, which I thought was great. It was closed at first but opened up to show good fruit, body and potential over the course of a very nice lunch. The 2010 Mon Coeur was ready to go and brighter, rounder and more complex. Let me know what you think when you try Mon Coeur 2010.