TN: La Fleur de Jaugue 2009

Chasse-Spleen

TN: La Fleur de Jaugue 2009

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

La Fleur de Jaugue 2009 St. Emilion Grand Cru

This is a wine that I used to love, and hopefully will love again. I usually don't write many notes about wines that disappointed me, but I was very disappointed by this one. I loved the 2001, drank a case of the dry, earthy beauty. The 2005 was a bigger, fiercer version of that, a little too bitter for me but true to the style. The 2006 was on point, lighter, dry and enjoyable but nowhere near as memorable as the '01. I had great expectations for the '09 but it seems that maybe they scared themselves with the '05. I passed on a case at that point, just too bitter and tannic. Maybe they decided to change tack because the '09 seems to have had all the character ironed out of it. It was soft, easy to drink, with just a hint of the earthy, liquorice flavors that the terroir seems to have in spades. No grip whatsoever. My friend brought a 2007 Chianti Classico to the dinner which I can't recall the name, but it was highly traditional and easily outdistanced the St. Emilion on style, flavor, authenticity and plain old character.

-Chasse
AlexR

Re: TN: La Fleur de Jaugue 2009

Post by AlexR »

Of course, one is tempted to ask: if you held a "rematch" in 5 years, would the results be similar?

Just asking....

Alex R.