TNs: naturalness-- Frizzante Rosso & Orange!

JonoB

TNs: naturalness-- Frizzante Rosso & Orange!

Post by JonoB »

2010 Trebbiolo Frizzante; Bonarda, Barbera: La Stoppa
funk, earth and chocolate, very fresh and with plenty of scorched earth and a hint of fizz. Bacon fat and blood. Some grip and structure... Beautiful with the Nduja, this is an umami filled combination! Pepper, spice and chili oil. It is mainly chocolate, and very silky with food and more air. Lots of zip, simple and loveable. It really has a je ne sais quoi (or should I say that Italian "I am Italian, and I will NOT keep calm") feel to it. Plum, wild berries and some freshly cured leather. Plenty of blood, fat, chocolate, braised meat and dark plum/ blue berry on the finish. Some herby bitter notes pop out in this occasionally. It is never going to wow anyone, but it really has a character and whilst it isn't mainstream is loveable enough for those who could get put off to really enjoy its warm, rustic charm!! 64-66+/100

2011 SP68 Bianco, IGT Sicilia; Ariana Occhipinti
honey and marmalade, grass and herbs, lifted, perfumed and fresh, lots of zip but with depth and earthy richness. Round yet fresh, with a bold endearing quality. Very long showing minerals, rocks, rich cooked lemons, lemon curd and lime zest, lots of freshness and elegance. It's almost as if Arianna has said, I have some grapes, there fermented, here you go! Like it or lump it, but it is quite crisp and tasty and whilst it feels like the touch was deft, the touch was there and it makes the wine quite intriguing, appealing and leaves you wanting some more of that honeyed aroma, and zippy palate. If it wasn't natural, I'd say age it because there is a lot of length and depth to this, but the nose shows richness and I wander how long it will last, but really... Who cares! It's a f***ing gorgeous white wine that if nothing else is putting an enormous cheesy grin on my face!! 69-71/100 this is never serious but there is so much going on! Really really fun! It's like the small girl that just wants to play and play and play and you always wander why they don't study, they have the brains, but for some reason, you sort of know that they are super intelligent and there is a very valid (in a conspiracy theorist adult way) reason that they don't!
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)