Getting to Know You Guys: What % of Your Cellar is Bdx and

OrlandoRobert

Getting to Know You Guys: What % of Your Cellar is Bdx and

Post by OrlandoRobert »

RobertGoulet told me you guys were a bunch of hedonistic, hard-partying, world-traveling, bunch of . . . . 8-)

So besides that:

What percentage of your collection is Bordeaux?

And what else makes your knees wobble (wine, of course).

I'm roughly 1/3 Bordeaux, 1/3 Rhone (North and South), the rest an even split of Chinon (mostly Joguet and Baudry), Zin (Ridge makes me ga-ga) and Bojo.

I have a smattering bit of other things, but nothing of note. In fact, I only have about 6 Cali Cabs in my collection. No Italian.

My knees wobble over Pomerol, which I can no longer afford, and old-school French syrah, like Clape, which I can barely afford these days.

That's me.
DavidG

Re: Getting to Know You Guys: What % of Your Cellar is Bdx and

Post by DavidG »

My faves are Bordeaux, Rhone, Champagne, California and Germany, in that order. My largest holdings are in Bdx (43%). After that the %s in the cellar don't line up with my faves, but they're reasonably close.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I should do a counting pretty soon, but my largest holdings are Bdx (over 50%, I think) and Burgundy. However, my two largest holdings by producer are St. Innocent and Ridge.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I would say I'm about 85% Bordeaux, 12% Burgundy, 3% Other.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Hard to say exactly, but I'd say I'm 75% Bdx (almost all of it from the left side), 10% Burgundy, 12% Piedmont, and 3% odds and sods.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

There was a time when I was about 75% Bdx, and then Florida allowed importation of private wine sales. Before that, finding a decent Northern Rhone or Chinon in Florida was like finding someone that spoke English (ok, I kid, and I'm Spanish, too - but I just cannot speak the language). Since then I've been balancing out my modest collection. Bordeaux is my go-to purchase but there is something about gamey, old world syrah - bloody, sweaty saddle leather, iron and rust - that rocks my soxs.

My favorite wines ever, though, were 1989 Petrus (twice) and '82 Mouton (twice). These incredible wines were shared with one other person - my buddy that Goulet now has a Man Crush on - over the course of long evenings with other incredible wines in their own right, but in this company, were like red-headed step-children (no offense to red heads, BTW). An '89 Haut Brion is a close second.

I'm a walking talking PC person tonight!
JonB

Post by JonB »

At 1,602 bottles of red Bordeaux, that's 42% of my cellar, followed by Burgundy 15%, and then Washington State, Rhone, Italy, Germany, Champagne, Bordeaux stickies. The single largest wine is 2003 Pontet Canet (53); largest producer holding Cayuse (Washington State).
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

About 25% Bordeaux.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The single largest wine is 2003 Pontet Canet (53)...."

Well done, JonB. Very well done indeed.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

My cellar:
Red Bordeaux: 44.5%
German whites: 15.3%
Italian reds: 12.7%
Southern Rhone: 8.4%
Sauternes & Dessert: 7.8%
USA: 5.8%
Spain: 3.5%
Port: 1.7%
Champagne: 0.3%

My largest single wine holdings:
Tour St. Bonnet 2005 28
Sociando Mallet 2003 24
Muga Reserva 2004 23
Carbonnieux rouge 2005 22
Grand Puy Lacoste 2005 18

The greatest number of bottles from any wine maker (across all vintages):
Ridge 62
Sociando Mallet 60
JJ Prüm 39
Lagrange 35
Selbach-Oster 35
Tour St. Bonnet 32
Grand Puy Lacoste 30
Last edited by Blanquito on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Geez, Tom. Only 25% Bordeaux? That's an outrage!

Chasse :o
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

60% is bordeaux....the rest is a mix...but, the burgundy devil is starting to make the... 'please allow me to introduce myself!'
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

A couple years since my last serious inventory, but I'd guess 50% bordeaux (including sauternes and barsac, all 01s), 35% California and 15% Southern Rhone. Producers most represented: Ridge (largest holding, mostly Monte Bello), Angelus, Pontet Canet, Tertre Roteboeuf, Canon La Gaffeliere, Pavie/Pavie Decesse, Grand Puy Lacoste, Malescot, Leoville Poyferre, Rieussec, Suduiraut, Climens, Saxum, Sine Qua Non, Marcassin, Radio Coteau, Rhys, Carlisle, Aubert, Vieux Telegraph, Clos St Jean and Janasse. Excluding sauternes/barsac, 98% rouge.
Last edited by pomilion on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi,
My cellar is about 65% Bordeaux.
This is followed by Burgundy, Rhône, Champagne and then the number of bottles per category drops dramatically.

I admire those of you who keep exact statistics, presumably on Cellartracker.
Patrick, I applaud your choices. They show you like quality, value-for-money, and are not a label drinker.

All the best,
Alex R.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

That's funny - On a Bordeaux BB, this thread alone, 3 of us have Ridge as our largest holding.

Speaks volumes about that winery, stylistically. If you all have not tried it yet, the 2009 Ridge Estate Cab is fantastic, and at $40, a by the case purchase, especially at 1/4 the price of the Monte Bello.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

most bottles of La Lagune then Donjon then Sociando Mallet then I'm totally schizoid and all over the world. Orlando, what I will now reveal is that collectively, we possess the finest collection of Boones Farm in the world. We don't list this in our wine portfolios as this is a hidden asset. That said, at our annual conventions we have had, in scope, breathtaking tastings of this jewel. Something to keep in mind as you participate with us.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

AlexR wrote:I admire those of you who keep exact statistics, presumably on Cellartracker.
Patrick, I applaud your choices. They show you like quality, value-for-money, and are not a label drinker.
Cheers, Alex. I definitely get excited about value plays. Also, I just love Sociando when it is on its game: the 82, 90, 95, 00, 01 and 03 are all (or will be) classic claret that shine in strong vintages, and as all BWEers know, provide world-class value. Some find them a bit rustic or green, but neither of these traits both me; rather, I recoil from excessive extraction, flabby-sweet wines with too much oak and no character, which S-M never does. I do prefer it in vintages with good depth of fruit, eschewing overly austere years.

And Ridge, what is left to be said? While its wines rarely reach the truly highest stratosphere (I've never had a really mature Monte Bello, so that may still come), they maintain an amazingly consistency, truly never making something that isn't at least good.
Last edited by Blanquito on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

As of a year ago, when last updated on cellar tracker:

82.2% France, of which 66.5% Bordeaux, 6.7% burgundy and 6.8% rhone (north and south)
12.4% Italy, of which 7.5% Piedmont

The rest is Australia, California, Portugal and Germany

Unlike Patrick I am a dedicated label drinker, though in my defense most of my collection was acquired well over a decade ago, and just buy tactically these days.

Biggest regret? No buying more burgundy.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Just a guess, 92% Bdx, 4% Burg, 3% assorted Italian and 1% "other." Might be a little low on the Bdx figure. I think I win the prize for the most devoted BWE. I haven't got a fav and probably have at most two cases of any label across all vintages. My knees don't wobble but my mouth waters occasionally.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

56% and climbing.

I've always preferred cabernet based wines but now my percentage of California cabs has fallen over the last couple of years. As I'm consuming them they're being backfilled by Bordeaux.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Haven't done an inventory lately so this is just a guess but roughly accurate.

Red Bordeaux: 38%
German Riesling: 30%
Port, Madeira and other Fortified: 7%
Rhone Reds: 6%
Red Burgundy: 5%
Sauternes: 5%
Champagne: 2%
California: 2%
Italian Reds: 1%
Alsatian Whites 1%
Loire Whites: 1%
Eastern USA: 1%
All Other: 1%

Chris Bublitz
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

'please allow me to introduce myself!' Beware RobertGoulet, that way lies the Devil!
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

On the fly adjustment: Add one percent German, subtract one percent Bdx. Plus, I count Sauternes/Barsac in the Bordeaux column. Probably that is not correct geographically and certainly the wines are different but ...
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

I'm dancin with the devil Bach, but it's not going to pry me from bordeaux
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

robertgoulet wrote:I'm dancin with the devil Bach, but it's not going to pry me from bordeaux
BobbyGoulet did show up once with some weak Burg effort that had the color of a Rose and tried to convince me it was the path to salvation . . . .

Cheap bastard . . . Oh, sorry, that's what his ____ calls him! 8-)
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

.BobbyGoulet did show up once with some weak Burg effort that had the color of a Rose and tried to convince me it was the path to salvation . . . .
Lmao, it was great stuff, didn't show well that night...and yes I am a cheap bastard, but not cheap enough of a host to offer my guests cheez-it crackers with fine wine...!! And for that my friend I am forever beholden :lol:
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

You guys should have seen Robert the other night trying to convince my wife to let me go to Dallas...honestly, I'm not sure we would ever be invited back, but it would be a hell of alot of fun..lol
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

robertgoulet wrote:You guys should have seen Robert the other night trying to convince my wife to let me go to Dallas...honestly, I'm not sure we would ever be invited back, but it would be a hell of alot of fun..lol

After she found out our Vegas business trips coinciding were no coinky-dink, she will never look at me the same way again. I am like dirt to her. Hot dirt, but dirt nonetheless.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Vegas...Rollan de by 2003 and foie gras sushi, killer night
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Interesting transition in my cellar in the past 5 years. As I have backed off Bordeaux purchases out of concern for how long they take (historically) to evolve, the numbers surprised me. Whereas several years ago I was probably close to 40% Bordeaux, my cellar is now only about 20% Bordeaux; and that is primarily from purchases versus drinking. It looks something like this (by volume, not value):

Bordeaux - 20%
Burgundy - 23%
Rhone - 10%
Tuscany - 9%
California - 9%
Piedmont - 8%
Alsace - 4%
Oregon - 3%
Champagne - 3%
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

My cellar:
50% Bordeaux
50% Burgundy
-Chasse
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

.My favorite wines ever, though, were 1989 Petrus (twice) and '82 Mouton (twice). These incredible wines were shared with one other person - my buddy that Goulet now has a Man Crush on
Man crushes are real
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

We may need a new thread for Favorite Wine Ever...
So hard to pick
1959 Lafite
1929 Bouchard Pommard Rugiens
1989 Haut Brion
1970 Petrus
1989 Petrus
1990 Margaux
1982 Lafite
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

My off the top of my head ten greatest wines ever:

#10. 1995 d'Yquem (the flavors literally shocked me as I led a tasting at Napa '02)
#9. 1986 Pichon Lalande (this wine had me singing Barry White one night)
#8. 1982 Gruaud Larose (this and 1990 Margaux among the most complex and layered wines ever)
#7. 1986 Mouton (Mr. Vino's bottle at Sonoma '06 had a finish that lasted for about 5 minutes)
#6. 1959 Lafite (unique, expressive of the vintage)
#5. 1996 DRC Grands Echezeaux (a bottle brought by Jackdaw to a NYC '03 Thursday dinner, matched with tuna, sublime)
#4. 1990 Margaux (the ultimate combination of elegance and complexity)
#3. 1986 Lamarque (my epiphany wine)
#2 1988 Dal Forno Romano Amarone (the only wine that has ever brought tears to my eyes)
#1 1989 Lynch Bages (the greatest wine ever produced)
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Lynch Bages '86, '89 and '90 are all spectacular. These are wines I wish, double wish, I would have spring deeply for when I was a tadpole. Now it's out of my reach for the most part - I can pick up one or two here and there, but not in bulk. Such a great, steady estate.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Here is my cellar info...

82% Bordeaux (includes reds, whites and sauternes)
5% Bourgogne
3% Piemont
3% US
2% Rhone
1% Toscana

Rest Others...
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Chasse, 25% is indeed down quite a bit from a couple of years ago when we realized that we just didn't have that many times left that we would drink $$$$ bottles of wine. I'm much more likely these days to buy a couple of cases of Bolgheri cabernet rather than two bottles of 2nd Growth Bordeaux for the same coin.

Of course, 25% Bordeaux is likely still more than we'll get to in this lifetime so I refuse to be ashamed!
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Of course, Tom I was only teasing but what comprises the other 75%? Inquiring minds want to know...
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Of course, C-S - one of these days we'll both figure out we're twin sons from a different mother.

Overall, we're looking at 42% French, 42% Italian, 9% USA. ...

The other (non-Bordeaux) 17% from France is a bit more Rhone than Burg, but that balance is tipping in the Burg direction as time goes by.

The Italian wines are mostly Barolo and Barbaresco (like Bordeaux, 25% of the total cellar), and plenty of Brunello, but they come from all over the country .
stefan

Post by stefan »

You Burgundy lovers who are not drinking Oregon PNs are missing out. Last night I taught until 7 PM and had not selected the dinner wine since I did not know what Lucie would prepare. She emailed me that she had found some good Sockeye and so we would eat grilled salmon. I had stood up a bunch of St Innocent PN in the wine room because I hadn't figured out where to store them and told Lucie to pick one that she would like to have. She selected the '04 SI 7 Springs Special Selection, which was a present from stefanJr and the only bottle we had (sob). I reported on this wine in the Xmas thread--stefanJr had brought one to Berkeley--and the bottle last night was every bit as good; maybe even better. Definitely high Grand Cru Burgundy quality; expensive, but a fraction of the price of a comparable Burgundy.
Last edited by stefan on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.