Duhart-Milon 2009

Bacchus

Duhart-Milon 2009

Post by Bacchus »

Holy cow, this stuff is drop dead gorgeous. Like so many of these 09s, it's got a really deep black-red colour in the glass. You can smell the graphite on the nose, along with licorice, bramble, vanilla, a little hazel nut. It is a beautiful viscous mouth feel, as silky as a set of fine sheets. Rich yet vibrant: cedar, pencil lead, red and black fruit, truffle -- damn, so many flavours I can't find them all. There's a strong tannic backbone right up the middle, so it should go for years; yet the tannins are soft, supple, ripe, sweet, very polished indeed. There's enough acidity to water the mouth and keep the wine lively from beginning to end. That said, there's nothing over the top here. It is Pauillac, not Pomerol! This stuff is fantastic. If you can only afford one 09 Pauillac, make it Duhart. And damn if it isn't affordable!!! (well, relative to so many other Pauillacs). 13.5% alcohol; pretty good for this vintage. Score: somewhere north of 95! I've only got a half case. I've got to correct that oversight!
JimHow

Re: Duhart-Milon 2009

Post by JimHow »

Wow! Very nicely done indeed!
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I'm afraid on absolute terms Duhart has not been affordable for me since about 2005 or whenever (as alleged) the Chinese started buying this due to the Lafite connection. But it sounds good. The 2000 is excellent and the 2002 is also very well done - both complex wines as you describe, but not in the style of 09 I'm sure.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

D-M was quite affordable ($60) at the beginning of the '09 futures campaign, but it was gone almost instantly at its opening price. I managed to get perhaps the last 6 bottles in the country at that price -- wish I'd gotten more... It appears to now be going for $125+ in the States. Looking forward to trying it someday.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 2009 sounds terrific, but...

2005 Duhart as futures from PJ's = $42 (I confess to selling a bunch of these in 2010)
2009 Duhart current best US price per WineSearcherPro= $120

That's more than I paid for First Growths from the 2002 vintage! NOT a chateau I follow anymore...

That said, it's a real shame as this was becoming my favorite "value" Bordeaux, supplanting Sociando. The 1996 (bought a few for $18 in 2003 from PC), 2000 ($24 as futures in 2002), 2001 (mid-$20's on release), 2002 (mid-$20's on release), and the wonderful 2003 ($28 as futures) are all excellent and classic. I've never tried any of my 2005 Duharts, but the press is very high on them.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Whomever paid $60, lucky dogs!

This is now out of my league.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

I guess I'm lucky in that I paid original futures price; I had no idea what they're going for now. So I am led to qualify my earlier statement and recommend DM to whomever can afford it. And if Duhart can't be your representative from Pauillac, well I'm not sure where to go. Perhaps d'Armailhac? Anyone try it yet? Clerc Milon perhaps?
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

Blame the Chinese and Parker for D-M: the Anti-Wine Consumer Advocate strikes again! I wonder if Parker appreciates the irony of his note on the wine (along with giving it 97 points): "Consumers looking to maximize value should be checking out Duhart Milon, as this may be the single smartest purchase in this great and historic vintage!"
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

pomilion wrote:Blame the Chinese and Parker for D-M: the Anti-Wine Consumer Advocate strikes again! I wonder if Parker appreciates the irony of his note on the wine (along with giving it 97 points): "Consumers looking to maximize value should be checking out Duhart Milon, as this may be the single smartest purchase in this great and historic vintage!"
I couldn't agree more with this... by the way, the cheapest 2010 Duhart Milon futures price in the US... $113!!!
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Duhart may be well worth the freight. It's quite good. The 2000 is really at a level with the best wines I've had. So if I was down with paying $100+ for a wine, I'd be snapping this up. Or if I wanted something for a special occasion - though I have a few of those already. Not sour grapes, just the general lamenting of some prices.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

With futures pricing like that Blanquito, I'm glad I got the 09s. They may be my last DMs. (have a case of 06s and a half of 03s in the cool room)