TN's Ch Poujeaux 2008

mike reff

TN's Ch Poujeaux 2008

Post by mike reff »

I saw this at a wine shop along the Hudson decided to pick one up so that I might be able to add to my son's wine stash since 2008 was his birth year.

Decent fruit on the nose and the finish is short to moderate. Some tannins on the palate, lets see what happens over some time.
Nicklasss

Re: TN's Ch Poujeaux 2008

Post by Nicklasss »

Hi Mike.

So how it turned out?

This is what I wrote about the 2008 Poujeaux, few months ago: So I opened a 2008, that have a nice medium red color, with a nice nose of dark red berries, vanilla, sweet blackcurrants, a bit of milk chocolate, a light touch of jalapeno pepper when swirling. In mouth, medium power, good dark berries attack, oak, minerals, ripe currants, with light tobacco. Grainy, good tannic presence, long oaky milky flashy finish. Minerals at the very end. Complex, no dead moment, maybe missing a bit more biting fruit, but very good anyhow. I guess it will be better in 5-7 years, but I don't think this has the concentration to go for 25 -years. TN : 89-90.

Nic
Claret

Post by Claret »

Poujeaux is very sentimental to me. The 82 was my Bordeaux epiphany. So many great vintage in the 80's. I have not had any vintages post 1990 though.

What year did the Theil's sell the operation?
Glenn
Claret

Post by Claret »

I just looked at the Poujeaux website. The deal went thru in 2/2008. The new owner is Philippe Cuvelier who also bought Clos Fourtet and is very proud and wants to make better wine. He appears to have gone in another direction from the old traditional style. The consulting oenologist is now Stéphane Derenoncourt.

I'll bet that tannin backbone that supported decades of cellaring has been softened.
Glenn
mike reff

Post by mike reff »

it turned out to be quite a surprise. Considering that I had over the course of three days.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

I don't see a huge change in style.
The consultantancy have come along, but having spoken to members of the team, nothing has changed in how things are done.
I think Derononcourt coming to give advice may lead to more consistency, but I've always liked the wines.

I tasted the 2008 when I tasted the 2010 and just felt that it was a softer and less structured example of 2010, and the wines generally all showed a consistent flavour profile and that includes tasting through 97, 99, 01, 03, 04, 07, 08, 09, 10.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)