Help/advice on buying some 2001 Germans

Post by Blanquito »

2001 Christoffel Erben, JJ Urziger Wurzgarten Auslese
2001 Christoffel Erben, JJ Urziger Wurzgarten Auslese *
2001 Donnhoff Norheimer Delchen Kabinett
2001 Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuher Spatlese *
and this 2004:
2004 JJ Christoffel Erben Urziger Wurzgarten Auslese ***

Got an off-line offer to buy up some 2001 Germans at good prices. Any input on these wines is much appreciated.

Patrick
DavidG

Re: Help/advice on buying some 2001 Germans

Post by DavidG »

I've had both of the Christoffels, and both are excellent. The "regular" is already drinking well and should last another decade or more, the 1-star is still young. Can't comment on the others, but '01 was a killer year so the odds are good that the others will be very nice as well. If David B sees this, I'm sure he'll have even more specific advice.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

The 2001s are no brainers. Christoffel did well. But I might pass the 2004-Christoffel had a rough patch around then. But anything above Kabinett level are still closed, IMO. So hold them a few years longer.
Last edited by Harry C. on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I have had all the 2001s you list (except the Delchen Kabinett) and they are all good. Hard to go wrong with 2001 German wines "at good prices". I have not had the 2004 JJ Christoffel Erben Urziger Wurzgarten Auslese ***

Chris Bublitz
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Just the enablement I was looking for (except for the use of "good" rather than "great" as the common descriptor). I've had some wonderful 2001 Germans, but nothing from Christoffel or Kerpen.

The prices are $20-$25 per bottle, by the by.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

"By the by?" At those prices, I would say "Buy, Buy, Buy!"
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Sorry about the imprecise language - all the 2001 JJ Christoffel that I have tried (several others in addition to the ones you listed) have been outstanding (they hit a lot of home runs in 2001). The Kerpen WS Spatlese * (also known as the bird label) is very good (I bought it) just not as good as the Christoffel.

Chris Bublitz
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Patrick all are excellent. As for Christoffel Three Star Auslese

"Wine Advocate # 163
Feb 2006 David Schildknecht 96 Drink: 2006 - 2046 $53 (53)
The “three star” 2004 Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Auslese*** comes largely from beneath the Urzig sundial near the water’s edge. A gauze-like overlay of fermentative aromas clears to reveal scents of strawberry jam, green tea, and candied lemon. In the mouth this exhibits a clarity and lift close to that of the “one star”, but allied to yet more richness, an ennobled botrytis dimension of fruit, and an invigorating saltiness that supplies a lovely and striking counterpoint to the wine’s honeyed sweetness. There is plenty of fresh fruit juiciness as well as stony depth amid such far-gone richness, and the finish reaches out with salt-encrusted tentacles of citrus even as it drips honey. Christoffel and I both suspect that this already amazing wine will gain in clarity and poise with a few years in bottle, and it certainly could be successfully cellared for three or four decades.

Importer: Terry Theise Estate Selections, imported by Michael Skurnik Wines, Inc., Syosset, NY; tel. (516) 677-9300
Does not seem that Christoffel "slipped" in 2004, this wine seems like he stole home. I've had a couple of cases of his 04s and still have a case of the 04 Urziger Wurz Spat thats damn good too. Paid $19.99 per btl
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

I made a "strong buy" recommendation elsewhere.