Phelan Segur 2009

Bacchus

Phelan Segur 2009

Post by Bacchus »

It was bothering me that so many wine critics were comparing the 09 vintage to Napa. I used to drink a lot of CA cabs at one time (still drink some), and so far the 09s didn't really remind me of them, although the vintage is clearly a ripe one. This evening that changed. I have to say that the 09 Phelan Segur is the first 09 I've tried that I don't really care for. It's a big wine with lots of tannin. It's also quite sweet. It's really like concentrated black cherry jam in a glucose syrup with a bit of menthol mixed in. You'd be forgiven if Robitussin came to mind. Then again, maybe Napa isn't the right analogy -- Barossa! I'm being unfair, I know, but this just isn't my cup of tea. Bit hot on the back end too. Bottle says 14% alc. Bet it's more. Makes me feel dirty! Gotta open an 04 or 02 now. :-)
Claret

Re: Phelan Segur 2009

Post by Claret »

Bases on my recent but albeit small encounter with 09's this vintage did not remind me of Napa Cab. However I do see a comparison with overripe California Zinfandel. A bunch of Zin grapes can be quite an anomaly. Within the same bunch there can be small green peas, nicely ripened grapes and raisins. All in one bunch.

This vintage has shown signs of raisins and prunes. It is a very ripe vintage and less than a classic vintage for my expectations. The best wines with good structure and controlled ripeness may age well for the mid term but the raisiny examples will not make old bones.
Glenn
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

When I saw Phelan Segur, I could not help it, and want to jump in. Even the previous vintages of the chateau are the same. Fruit forward, jammy and a bit sweet, to be consumed early on. When asked about it at the last UGC, they replied it's their style!!!
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I liked the 06. A second bottle was more evolved than expected but Warehouse has crappy storage. No old bones but no big bucks, either. I wonder about St. Estephe in hot vintages, or is it that they are going commercial.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

And it's kinda spendy relative to most other CBs from St. Estephe, Marbuzet (one of them anyway) being an exeption. Never had it, might try it sometime.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

The back-end heat kinda reminds me of some Zins I've had. I too was wondering about St. Estephe, Chasse. Being the most northerly commune, I thought it might be affected less by the heat than the more southerly appellations, and therefore thought they might be producing a wine with a crisper palate. What a surprise the PS turned out to be. It was the first time I ever tried PS. If that's their house style, I can't see buying their wines again.
Outlier

Post by Outlier »

I fell in love with the '05 Phelan Segur, as it was so decadent and expressive. I'm sure I've drank a half a dozen bottles or more already. Yet now, on mature reflection, I do find it to be a bit overdone and obvious. I was lucky enough to attend the SF UGC tasting, and tried the '10 there, and found it to be very attractive, robust and alluring. Perhaps the lovely, attractive French lady showing the wine had something to do with it..? ;-) Still, just to mention, right alongside was the '10 Lafon Rochet which was utterly lovely; classy and classic, refined and polished. St. Estephe is drawing my interest ever more..