TNs: two white Burgs, a Tuscan and a South African.

JonoB

TNs: two white Burgs, a Tuscan and a South African.

Post by JonoB »

2010 Bourgogne Blanc; Domaine Hudelot-Baillet
lots of buttery fruit, good depth and rounded perfume. Good zip and poise, with hints of clay and quite a plump figure. Plenty of citrus, grapefruit and lime fruit and nice length. Lots of clay and earthy notes; a hint of wax... Lovely round length. Orange zest... A touch yeasty on the finish... Sappy and lovely. 62+/100

2007 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chenevottes"; Domaine Marc Morey & Fils
very crisp, lean and poised with a classic lack of fruit, undercurrents of butter and herbs, lots of minerals and salt water covered rocks. Some wet animal fur... Lots of poise, depth and mineral water type qualities. It's like a spring stream in an alpine meadow, heather, herbs and grass. An intriguing note that reminds one of a cement mixer spinning around near your nose... Lots of backbone and bite, with a lot of marble like textures. Lots of minerals and buttered lemons on the finish and lots of freshness and length. 72-76+/100

1997 Sammarco, Castello dei Rampolla, IGT Toscan
earth, smoke, dark plum and a rounded texture, silky and rusty, good freshness and poise, with a soft texture, cherry and graphite with pencil lead and tobacco. Still very youthful but rounded and poised with a good amount of depth. It isn't the most deep and exciting wine but there is a je ne sais quoi and intrigue about this. It's endearing and charming... Some herbs and earthy notes. Good length. 68+/100

2008 Syrah; Mullineux Family Wines, Swartland, RSA
lots of sweet plum, and spicy black currants, some earth and pepper but it has a lot of phenolic sweetness, good length and a slight meaty character. Balancing acidity: the nose promises a lot... Band aid and TCP. Having tasted it on release it had a lot of puppy fat, then a year later it showed more restraint. Now it seems to be showing the sweetness again. Some herby notes, with liquorice. Lots of herbs and menthol with more air. Braised meat, it shows good depth and complexity and has nice soft structure. The more I drink it, the more it grows on me. I'd love to see where this goes because it hints at promise but that this point in time it just has too much sweetness and sap. There is a spicy pepper note with more air and more dark depth... I really want to see where this goes. 62-66+/100
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
jmccready

Re: TNs: two white Burgs, a Tuscan and a South African.

Post by jmccready »

Thanks for the notes on the white burgs. They are the whites that I drink the most of, far and away. The domaines may
not always be familiar ( to me ) but that is what's great about these classics. Their small hand-crafted nature, that is.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

You're a brave BWE, jmccready, to still drink mostly white burgs in the face of the premature-oxidation plague.

Unless all of your white burgs predate the pox.... In which case, when can we stop by to pull a few corks? :-)
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

That's the problem nowadays.

Mature white burgs can be absolutely magical, but when spending that much money, is one willing to take the risk?
I tend to be drinking my white burgs younger and younger (and often at the lower end for earlier drinking) nowadays. Right now, I really should try some 05s and 06s, possibly even older, but I'm terrified that it will all go in the sink...

What's more, I'm loving the youthful exhuberance and just about ready to go nature of 07/08.

J
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
jmccready

Post by jmccready »

I don't have a cellar anymore of older white burgundies, so I too have been drinking younger vintages, say from 07 on.
The youthful nature as JonoB says is just as appealing to me as some of the older ones-zesty and racy with still the great
adjectives given in your notes. From Pouilly Fuisse through Chass and Puligny village, 1er cru, with a nice dose of Chablis-both
negociant and small domaines(when I can find the little guys, and down here that not very often.) Anyone having
any pox problems with recent vintages please let us know, and when I'm in DC we will just have to settle for a more
youthful Corton Charlemagne.