2009 Cantemerle

Bacchus

2009 Cantemerle

Post by Bacchus »

Just opened this. Now this is different again from either the Gloria, the Giscours, or the Haut Bergey. It's medium bodied, thus lighter than the other 09s I've tried. Brighter and with more of an edge, i.e., not as round as so many other 09s. Ripe fruit, but more red than black: red currents, raspberries, maybe a bit of blueberry too. Something floral -- violets or rose petals. It's nice to detect a bit of cedar, some pencil shavings, and a bit of minerality too. Lots of tannins in this one, and some fresh acidity, leading to a slightly austere finish. Still, if you're looking for a break from the blockbusters, this may be your ticket. Wish I had 05s to compare. I'm going to cork this for awhile, see how things shape up in a couple of hours, and again tomorrow.
DavidG

Re: 2009 Cantemerle

Post by DavidG »

So reports of all Bordeaux becoming the same may be premature after all...

Thanks for the data point.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

The man almost always points out that C'merle is a lighter/more classical/nearly Burgundian style of claret. Seems he always says so of this and the one Pessac property Carbonnieux.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hey there is a reason why we picked Cantemerle as a wine of the year.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Day 2 and I'm not sure how much I care for this. Seems tarter and more austere today. I recall liking the 06 better, although it's probably been more than a year since I've had a bottle.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Try mixing it with some of the Phelan Segur. That should roll a strike right down the middle.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

And what shall we call it, Cante Segur, or Phelanmerle?
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Day 3 and things are looking up. Drinking it with pasta and red sauce this evening. It's still a bright wine, but not as tart or austere as it seemed last evening. It still has its red fruit profile (raspberries, cranberries, currents), the cedar and mineral, but it also has an improved back-end grip over yesterday which lends it a better sense of balance. A little more anise in there today too. Still, it is medium bodied. Nothing thick, gooey, or viscous on this wine.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Just saw it locally tonight for $40. Sounds like at that price, it may be a pass. Picked up the 2009 Ch. Faizeau for $19.99 to give it a whirl. I liked the '05 and the price is the same. Will be popping in 30 minutes.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Bacchus
have drank the 05 Cantermerle a yr ago and it was tannic and closed down offering little nose or fruit.
Improved with air but never tried such a tannic Cantermerle.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Be interested to hear of the 09 Faizeau. The 05 Faizeau gets two thumbs up from me.

I bought a few of the '10 Cantemerle. I've never tried Cantemerle though I have a magnum of the 01 and an odd bottle of another year I think sleeping in CO.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

After day 4 this continues to improve. Specifically, the brightness that I found too sharp upon opening continues to tone down resulting in what is for me a wine with a better balance between the tannins and the acid. I hope someone else will try it; perhaps giving it a long decant first. It remains medium weight, which I think is a nice change in the context of the vintage.