1 meal, 7 wines, 5 regions

AlexR

1 meal, 7 wines, 5 regions

Post by AlexR »

Aperitif:

2004 Riesling Grand Cru "Mambourg" from Kuehn Schiele: Looking its age and then some. Came in an unusual ribbed bottle. Vaguely honeyed with OK fruit, but not a great deal of personality. I know Bordeaux's classification system (particularly in St. Emilion) is not a model of clarity, but WHY do I find so many Alsace grands crus so ho-hum (i.e. not better than grower wines without the classification). Is it just me?

2009 Oberhaüser Brücke (Nahe) Riesling Spätlese from Dönnhoff: Same grape, but not a great deal in common with the previous. Attractive understated nose with smoky/gunflint characteristics. A balance on the palate such as I have not encountered before. The wine starts out round, very sweet (much sweeter than I expected from a spätlese) and almost a little flabby and then segues into sharp, fresh acidity with some grapefruit and lychee overtones. Is wine meant to age? A pleasure, but you'd have to have this before a meal. How could you match it with food? Makes me wonder how sweet the Auslese and on up must be. Very interesting experience. German wines are like hen's teeth here.

Scallop and lamb’s lettuce salad:

2003 Ch. Couhins-Lurton: These guys are classified only for their white wine. This bottle was ultra traditional with lemon and lanolin aromas and considerably more body and length than run of the mill Bordeaux whites. Not topheavy despite the vintage. Fine, but not exciting.

Leg of lamb:

2005 Mondeuse "Tradition", Vin de Savoie, from Prieuré Saint Christophe, Roselyne & Michel Grisard: It's a very wicked thing to serve a wine like this blind... It is fruity and up front with a lively peppery flavor. Great introduction to more serious wines. Ready to drink.

1999 Vieux Château Certan: This was most people's favorite wine. Very smooth and classy. Medium-bodied and fluid, but by no means thin or inconsequential. Empyreumatic on the nose, with some prune. Delightful almond nuances. The aftertaste is assertive but without any rough edges. A vibrant example of the virtues of elegance over power.

Cheeses:

1998 La Conseillante: I figured this wine of pretty much equal rank to the VCC, but from a reputedly better year, will be a nice follow-up. While no one could possibly complain about it, it did not have the definition and poise of the VCC. It was darker in color with a brambly, brooding nose and a deep, dark, and mysterious kind of taste. However, the wine is also too young. I'm sure it will come together better in the coming years, but I don't think this particular vintage - if the bottle I had was representative - will every equal the poise of the finest Pomerol can produce.

Tarte tatin:

OK. I've cheated. The Chouchen du Guérand from Jean Baron in Plouégat-Guérand isn't a wine at all. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chouchen
It's a hydromel and cider drink from Brittany.
This had a most intriguing aroma and an enveloping sweetness. A little bit goes a long way. Heaven with the tart.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Nicklasss

Re: 1 meal, 7 wines, 5 regions

Post by Nicklasss »

Hello Alex. Nice dinner. I can almost feel the ''ambiance'' if it was at your house.

For Alsace, I guess they are to near of Bourgogne, as it is the same system that guaratee quality : the producer name over the AOC or Grand Cru mention.

I drank few Mondeuse when I was in Savoie last December and found them nice, especially that I'm interested in lighter wine lately.

Good to read the 1999 VCC vs 1998 Conseillante. I could have bought some 98 Conseillante in 2000, but alreaydy, the price was high.

Just to let you know, I finally have success to get my local SAQ to get some bottle of the 2009 Chateau Roland la Garde Tradition. For 16 $, can't complaint, nice genuine Bordeaux Merlot, from sandy, gravel, clay terroir. I have the plan to take a picture of me with a bottle, to send to Mr. Martin.

Regards,

Nic
AlexR

Re: 1 meal, 7 wines, 5 regions

Post by AlexR »

Hi Nic,

Yes, the meal was at my house, which explains the somewhat sketchy notes.

That price from the SAQ is fantastic! Go for it!

All the best (and hope you're not too cold...).

Alex