BWE Dallas Survey

hm$

BWE Dallas Survey

Post by hm$ »

So, in looking at venues, I have come across 3 good dining options. Each would involve a private room. The question is mainly one of budget.

Option 1: The Mansion on Turtle Creek (http://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/mansio ... estaurant/) is truly excellent. I've been to tastings there and the foods suffers not at all, no matter whether they are cooking for 4 or 50. Cost will probably be in the $150-200/person range.

Option 2 (http://www.themercurydallas.com) and 3(http://www.bijouxrestaurant.com) are basically very similar. Fine food (every bit as good as any place we have been in the past) for $100-120/person. But it ain't the Mansion.

Please give me some non-binding feedback.

hm$
JCNorthway

Re: BWE Dallas Survey

Post by JCNorthway »

Howard,

Regrettably, we will not be there. But if we were coming, I think the "Mansion" would be a grand setting for a BWE event.

Jon
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I would focus the most on which will pair the best with the way BWE main events work - all the focus on people and wines. I am happy to pay more money for better food, but the food still needs to play second fiddle to the wine. I would focus most on the experience, and then let the food support the experience.

You are the person with first hand experience - I trust your judgment.

Any thoughts around themes? Especially Friday night?

SF Ed
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Is this is an "all in" cost including corkage? Will both places be able to provide enough stemware and let us be our usual noisy selves? A private room is always a good option for this group, IMO. I agree with Ed re food bowing to the wine: i.e passed hors d'oeuvres and then seated for 3 courses so not to interfere with our rituals.
stefan

Post by stefan »

A private room is essential, IMO. The Mansion is a beautiful venue, but that is not the most important concern. The private room at the Bijoux seats a max of 28 according to the Bijoux web site. That looks OK with the present sign up but could be a problem if more sign up.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I haven't had a chance to check out the venues but I'm good with whatever you guys decide.
Private room is essential.
Also, my biggest concern is that the venue understands exactly what we are doing, i.e., unlimited amount of wines brought by attendees, etc. I have occasional nightmares that people fly in from around the country and world and that we can't do what we planned and have to order off the wine list (as almost happened at NYC '03).
hm$

Post by hm$ »

I guess I was not clear. Both have private rooms, enough stems, etc. The question is ceteris paribus, except for (i) cost, (ii) food quality (a little) and (iii) atmosphere.

Prices are all in.

hm$
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Howard,

My 2 cents. I think any of the three would be fine. If cost were no object then the Mansion would be spectacular but at $200/person without wine may not be the value that I'm looking for especially with a larger group dinner. Wines need to shine and at this price point we're paying a premium for service and surroundings along with food quality to match. It may be a memorable location, but for 1/3-1/2 the cost I think we'll still get a memorable night at the Mercury but maybe the wines and company will be the stars rather than the venue.

For me this is more about seeing old friends and sharing some great wine with food and service to support the stars of the weekend.....the wine!

I defer to your judgement seeing this is your home town and we're your guests for the weekend. I'm sure any of the three will be fantastic.

Danny
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Howard, I've been to the Mansion but not the others. Mansion is fabulous and I'd love to go back. I'm certain any of the 3 venues would be great for the event and allow for both the personal interactions we cherish and the enjoyment of the wines that we want.

I have no problem with the cost but am sensitive to the possibility that that may be an issue for some. The DC events came in at ~$200/person (all in, tax, tip, corkage, stems) if I recall, and that didn't seem to inhibit attendance or enjoyment. Then again, we didn't really have less expensive viable options with a private room.

So though I'm leaning towards Mansion, I will be happy with whatever choice you make.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Mansion looks good to me. thanks Howard.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

I am happy to go wherever MHS would choose, and happy to pay for a nice place, although I know there are always some people that would rather spend more on their wine, or those that have a budget generally. Because of that, and since I am a "more the merrier" type, I would try to balance cost with quality.

Michael-P