HWSRN on Bdx

Bacchus

HWSRN on Bdx

Post by Bacchus »

JimHow

Re: HWSRN on Bdx

Post by JimHow »

Haven't read it yet.
Did they ask him about how much he loved Hardy Rodenstock's wines?
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

No, more like ego rubbing but to be fair, all the comments seem pretty genuine if you understand HWSRN's palate.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
Outlier

Post by Outlier »

My understanding is that HWSRN will be publishing an updated scoring for '10 Bordeaux this month. I actually subscribed to eRobertParker for three months just to get the scoop on the updated reviews, but the site is such a mess to navigate. Does anyone know when this report is expected to get published? My taste actually aligns more with Suckling, but still, am curious to see what uncle Bob has to say..
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Parker's 2010 Bordeaux report will be out at the end of February. His recent comments from yesterday:

The end of February report will have an extremely comprehensive report on them from my visit to Bordeaux and tastings from bottle 1/6-1/17...Issue 194,April,2011 barrel tasting report is probably 85% or so very accurate about the vintage characteristics and best wines....the marketplace is dull,anxious, and apphrehensive...2010 prices came out extremely high for the famous names, and have not sold....while there is very little inventory of 2009 anywhere,plenty of 2010 is in stock at chateaux, negociants, brokers,importers and retailers...with two vintages of "lesser" quality in the pipeline,will that be enough to serve as a catalyst for sales... ?????

And in response to a post on '09/'10 vs. '89/'90:

Matt......both vintages are vastly superior to 89 and 90...both seem to me the two finest years I have tasted(discount the cynics-including me-"that the greatest one ever made is the one we have for sale"....2009 and 2010 represent the pinnacle of so many dramatic improvements that have occurred in the vineyards and wine-cellars in Bordeaux over the last three decades:
1. severe selection process in both vineyard and cellar
2. draconian crop thinning and yield management
3. radical viticulture-shoot positioning, leaf pulling, satellite imagery,etc
4. significant investments in cellar fermenters,gravity flow systems, smaller vats, smaller picking bins
5. less racking,less SO2,less traumatic movement of wine for fear of bruising and damaging aromatics as well as texture
6. less fining and filtration
7. total temperature control from harvest to bottling, and to storage

and much more...all of it designed to make a wine more intense...aromatically and in flavor...more natural...more interesting...and of course more representative of its.....1.vineyard terroir,2. its blend,3. its vintage.... Amen
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

I'm interested in his claim that the 09 supply is very low. Can that be verified? Do we have to buy big now, or forget it?

Has anybody seen the recent issue of the World of Fine Wine? Apparently it has a reassessment of 08! They're a pretty thorough bunch usually.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I think that was a price prediction, not an availability prediction. The '09s will not disappear from the market, but if most have sold through at the various levels in the supply chain prices will remain high or go even higher. And as time passes there is the added risk of provenance, as many sales will be on the secondary market.

What did WoFW say about '08?