Of blizzards and Sociando....

pomilion

Re: Of blizzards and Sociando....

Post by pomilion »

Chateau Vin wrote:
pomilion wrote:Sociando is sometimes a little rustic for my taste, but I liked '05 quite a bit and bought a case.
I haven't touched my 05s yet. Did you try 05 SM yet pomilion? What's the scoop?
Didn't take notes and it was a couple years ago, but yes, I tried it and loved it. 2005 is a very special bordeaux vintage imo -- in many wines the fruit is just so vibrant, fresh and intense (without being over-ripe) and balanced with wonderful acidity and substantial but polished tannins. 2009 and '10 are getting all the attention right now, and many '05s are shut down pretty hard, but when the '05s come around boy they're going to be incredible. Overall the vintage is as good as '09 in my view (probably better than 09 on the right bank). The '05 Sociando I tried, within its own style parameters, shared these characteristics of the '05 vintage. I haven't had a ton of Sociando, but it's my favorite vintage of the wine so far.
Last edited by pomilion on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I second pomilion's notes on the 2005 Sociando. It's a beauty. There are six bottles left in NH for $44, I need to try to get down there this week.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Funny you should say that, Jim. There are only 2 bottles of the 05 SM on this entire island, in a small store in a small town about 25 min. from where I live. That same store as the last 2 bottles of 05 Haut Bailly too! I'm thinking I should get in the car and hope the roads have all been plowed!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think that is a mission that must be accomplished forthwith Agent Bacchus.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

You guys are a very very bad influence. I just bought some more '09 Sociando and have found '10 in 375s. Given the structure of '10, I may go the small bottle route.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done, OrlandoRobert. Very well done indeed.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

OrlandoRobert wrote:You guys are a very very bad influence. I just bought some more '09 Sociando and have found '10 in 375s. Given the structure of '10, I may go the small bottle route.
Yep. Really bad influence indeed. Just the other day, I picked up half a case of 09 SM for 39 each...

BTW, what do the gurus think about 2004 Sociando?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I must have liked it, I bought a case!
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote:I must have liked it, I bought a case!
Interesting. May need to backfill. My local guy, who carried the '09 for $45, carries the '04 for the same price. Are you buying at $45, Jim?
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Great memory AlohaDawg. I'd forgotten all about that.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I can't recall drinking it, OrlandoRobert, although it would have been unusual for me to buy a case if I hadn't.
I'm going to try to buy those six 2005s for $44 per bottle this week, and buy the remaining four bottles of the 2009s for $42 each.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

To me, Sociando-Mallet is representing the red Bordeaux really well, and is probably one of the truest Bordeaux!

Just for fun, the story of my visit to the Chateau last December.

during my visit to Bordeaux, i went to the Medoc for 3 visits, on the Friday Nov 30th. The visit at Sociando-Mallet was very nice. Good reception and information by Sybil Marquet. I was amazed to learne that Sociando has high production by hectare, when compared to other Crus form Medoc, being between 50 and 80 hl per hectare since 1980. Seems like the terroir can hold to produce that way, and from the quality of the wine there, why would I have doubts about it? Also, I learned that since 1995, Mr. Gautreau is isolating the 15 best barrels to bottled separately, calling that cuvee Jean Gautreau, and sell it for 2 more euros per bottle, that is very reasonnable. They are fair enough at the Chateau to give you some critics evaluating the Jean Gautreau vs the regular Sociando and basically, the critics prefer half of the time the ''special cuvee'' and half of the time the regular cuvee... makes you wonder why some are producing a super cuvee, and sell it for the double.... Bravo to Sociando-Mallet to be true.

I tasted the 2009 Demoiselle and Sociando-Mallet, and both wines were really good. Cold at first, I waited a long time to get them warmed up and they were genuine to Sociando style, with cassis, light red peppers, dark red berries, light oak, licorice, and kind of herbal like cedar. Very good concentration, tasty, long, structured but ripe, I think these 2009, especially the Sociando, will hold for long. Great wines.
Nic