Of blizzards and Sociando....

JimHow

Of blizzards and Sociando....

Post by JimHow »

Revisiting the 2009 Sociando Mallet tonight.
Waiting for the worst of the storm to arrive, we're supposed to get about two feet, I guess.
We've only had a few inches throughout the day but it has been cold as a bastard.
JimHow

Re: Of blizzards and Sociando....

Post by JimHow »

Now this Sociando is a real man's Bordeaux.
Is the terroir here such that it is less likely exposed to manipulation and homogeny?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Hope it helps keep you warm and dry, Jim. Well, warm anyway!
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Maybe I should get myself a bottle of that juice. I could use a real man's wine since that storm of yours is supposed to hit us tomorrow evening. We've been told to expect 25 cm of snow. That's no where near 2', but it's bad enough. I don't look forward to the shoveling.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The storm has arrived, it is pretty nasty out there!
Attachments
snow1.JPG
snow1.JPG (159.5 KiB) Viewed 8314 times
snow2.JPG
snow2.JPG (127.53 KiB) Viewed 8315 times
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Jim -

Don't hate me: My wife and I just had dinner and a nice bottle on the lake. High 70s, cool and breezy. Was down in Miami for two days, breezy and '80s . . .

Oh, I actually had something to say on point: How is the '09 Sociando? Worth the $45 fare? I'm typically a fan, but have not pulled the trigger yet.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote:The storm has arrived, it is pretty nasty out there!

I love, love abstract expressionism. Was just in a gallery for a great showing of Cuban abstracts.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

JimHow wrote:Now this Sociando is a real man's Bordeaux.
Is the terroir here such that it is less likely exposed to manipulation and homogeny?
To each his own. Sociando Mallet is one of my least favorite wines. But others like its rustic charms. Part of the reason is their incredibly high yields, which are probably the highest in the Medoc. They do no crop thinning, green harvesting or de leafing. You can read more here if you like: http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/bor ... do-mallet/
Last edited by Jeff Leve on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I get down to Fort Lauderdale on occasion, Orlando, we'll have to uncork some fine northern Medocs sometime.
For my taste, I absolutely love this 2009 Sociando.
To me, it has all the things I look for in Sociando Mallet, plus the greatness of the 2009 vintage.
This is the third tme I've drunk this wine, I wanted to decide whether to buy a case at $45 each.
Yes. the sirloin is on the grill and the whoopue pie has to be unwrapped, but yes.
I do expect to buy a case of this to add to my case collections of Sociando from the 2000, 2002, and 2003 vintages.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hmm interesting Jeff that you don't like Sociando.
To me this is great stoic Bordeaux.
I love this stuff.
I rate the 2009 Sociando higher than Parker's 90.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote:Hmm interesting Jeff that you don't like Sociando.
I love this stuff.
To me, that comment speaks volumes. Sociando, La Lagune, Talbot, Gruard Larose, Lanessan, are wines of place, representing to me what is Bordeaux. I will concede to loving Bordeaux across the spectrum, including some modern wines like Pavie (major yum), but me luv me sum old school stuff.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote:I get down to Fort Lauderdale on occasion, Orlando, we'll have to uncork some fine northern Medocs sometime.
For my taste, I absolutely love this 2009 Sociando.
To me, it has all the things I look for in Sociando Mallet, plus the greatness of the 2009 vintage.
This is the third tme I've drunk this wine, I wanted to decide whether to buy a case at $45 each.
Yes. the sirloin is on the grill and the whoopue pie has to be unwrapped, but yes.
I do expect to buy a case of this to add to my case collections of Sociando from the 2000, 2002, and 2003 vintages.
Please give me a head's up when you come to Florida so BobbyGoulet and I can plan an appropriate welcome!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sounds like a plan, we'll uncork some fine northern Medocs!
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

JimHow wrote:Hmm interesting Jeff that you don't like Sociando.
I love this stuff.
Jim... Lots of people like it. I find it hard, rustic, green and charmless. I would never buy a bottle. Your descriptor of stoic is fair. That is not what I want in a wine.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Do you like Calon Segur Jeff?
Attachments
aaab.JPG
aaab.JPG (167.99 KiB) Viewed 8261 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I love my wines "hard, rustic, green and charmless."
To me that is what attracts me to the northern Medoc.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Am in Chicago, and no blizzard here. But in solidarity with you, I am opening 96 Sociando... Stay Warm... :P
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Very nicely done, CV. You are an outstanding BWEer.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

JimHow wrote:Do you like Calon Segur Jeff?
There is a sense of qualilty in the wine, but it's never a wine that excites me enough to buy it. You can read more on Calon Segur if you like: http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/?page_id=264
Last edited by Jeff Leve on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I have had some truly wonderful bottles of 1982 Calon Segur. Taste in wine is very personal - there are plenty of wines that some people really love that do nothing for me.

Chris Bublitz
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've really loved the 1982 and 1996 Calon Segur.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I know Jim you love Margaux. I love all of Bordeaux, but I am an estephe and pauillac person. I love Calon. Have been hoarding CS for a while. Have 96, 00, 03, 05, 06, 08, 09 in the cellar...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I love the whole left bank, CV, or the west side of the estuary/river. My favorite appellations are Pauillac and St. Julien. If I had to pick one or the world would end, I'd pick Pauillac. But man I've really had some great Margaux in recent years.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have 3 bottles of 2009 Calon Segur that I'm waiting to be delivered. I'm guessing Calon Segur + 2009 = a very good combination.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

JimHow wrote:I love my wines "hard, rustic, green and charmless." To me that is what attracts me to the northern Medoc.
I love wines from the Left Bank, but at least for me, they are all charming, elegant, refined, ripe and powerful. The tannins are ripe and that gives the wine a sense of refined, elegance, purity and sensuality. None of the wines I like are hard, rustic, green and charmless. For me, those are flaws.

As you like St. Estephe, IMO, 2009 is the best vintage of all time for St. Estephe, followed by 2003.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:I love the whole left bank, CV, or the west side of the estuary/river. My favorite appellations are Pauillac and St. Julien. If I had to pick one or the world would end, I'd pick Pauillac. But man I've really had some great Margaux in recent years.
I know you would pick 89 LB...Ha Ha...

Last summer, I was with Jean-Michel Cazes, and asked the question. "Which one would you prefer 89 or 90 LB?". He unequivocally said he prefers 89...He also mentioned that while some work was being done in the cellar, they were moving around bottles to reorganize. Somehow someone stole whole crate of 89 LB! Around 2000 bottles!!! That was pathetic and obnoxious of someone to do it.. :evil:
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

Sociando is sometimes a little rustic for my taste, but I liked '05 quite a bit and bought a case.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Good grief, that is like not even funny. That's a disaster.
One of my goals for 2013 is to meet Jean Michel Cazes, I've exchanged emails with him but have never met him.
And to see "old friend" Alfred Tesseron again.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:Good grief, that is like not even funny. That's a disaster.
One of my goals for 2013 is to meet Jean Michel Cazes, I've exchanged emails with him but have never met him.
And to see "old friend" Alfred Tesseron again.
I met him only once, but a great personality. Good sense of humor, and a down to earth man. But he knows you! Like I mentioned to you before, he said "tell Jim when he comes to Bordeaux, let me know beforehand..."
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You're breaking my heart, CV. Timmy McCracken tells me he was asking for me when he hosted BWE back in 2005 and I couldn't make the trip due to family circumstances.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:You're breaking my heart, CV. Timmy McCracken tells me he was asking for me when he hosted BWE back in 2005 and I couldn't make the trip due to family circumstances.
You should visit Bordeaux this summer then and have a blast! :lol: And I am expecting that from you :mrgreen:

To that, and in the name of Bordeaux, CHEERS!!! :lol:
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, that is the plan!
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

pomilion wrote:Sociando is sometimes a little rustic for my taste, but I liked '05 quite a bit and bought a case.
I haven't touched my 05s yet. Did you try 05 SM yet pomilion? What's the scoop?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Jeff Leve wrote:To each his own. Sociando Mallet is one of my least favorite wines. But others like its rustic charms. Part of the reason is their incredibly high yields, which are probably the highest in the Medoc. They do no crop thinning, green harvesting or de leafing. You can read more here if you like: http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/bor ... do-mallet/
If Sociando is the product of high yields, I say bring on the bunker crops!

OK, Sociando isn't great in every vintage (because as stated, they don't modify their yields to circumvent mother nature), but it really shines in good to great vintages, and despite those high yields, it never seems dilute/overcropped/light/thin to me. The tannins can get burly in some years and so I do like Sociando in bigger, more concentrated vintages ('82, '90, '96, '03, etc.), but this extra oomph never comes at the expense of balance or personality.

And lest we forget, Sociando has remained one of the world's great wine bargains as most of the rest of Bordeaux's pricing has gone through the roof and I give them serious props for that.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It's no Blizzard of '78 but it's a nasty little storm. Windy as a bastard.
Attachments
blizzard1.JPG
blizzard1.JPG (171.18 KiB) Viewed 8099 times
blizzard2.JPG
blizzard2.JPG (209.85 KiB) Viewed 8097 times
blizzard3.JPG
blizzard3.JPG (190.82 KiB) Viewed 8095 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Just took a spin into town, bad scene out there!

Lots of white out conditions. We seem to be spared the major power outages so far, knock on wood, but the storm seems far from over. We had virtually no snow on the ground day before yesterday, now this....
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Based on the amount of snow on the railings, doesn't look too bad. Snow just starting to fall here now. We've been told it will change to freezing rain and then liquid rain over night. It will be one hell of a mess.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It doesn't look bad Bacchus but we got almost three feet. The wind has blown everything. I'm looking at the railing right now, the snow has blown off. This deck had no snow on it yesterday. But we still have power, that's the big thing. My neighbor has already plowed my drivewway four times. Sounds like a mess coming up your way!
Attachments
blizzard4.JPG
blizzard4.JPG (156.46 KiB) Viewed 8052 times
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

I should have paid more attention to the snow on the table rather than the railings. It clearly has way more snow on it! I agree that maintaining power is key. Hope ours doesn't go out.

I've got a neighbor like yours too; aren't they great?! My neighbor's a retired guy with a love of his snow blower. You know, Tim Taylor sort -- what's more fun than more power tools with more power! Since I am neither retired, nor the owner of a snow blower (weird for a Canadian!), I allow him to pursue his passion on my driveway. It's a win win. :-)

Interesting, Maine in winter looks an awful lot like Newfoundland in winter. Something about that east coast vibe.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I like SM, including the oddball characteristics that always seem present regardless of vintage. I'd say its style has less to do with the terroir than the man who owns it and makes the wine. Plus they have some large plots at the chateau but many others though fragmented about the commune.

I read somewhere that the yields there are also a function (as always/everywhere) of the plantation density (vines per acre) which apparently is quite high. So if you crowd in a lot of plants you'll get higher yields on a per acre basis even if each plant has an average number of bunches. Interestingly I think there is a school of thought that crowding the vines will tend to produce less fruit or affect concentration somehow. In fact there is something of an experiment going on at another property I've liked, Cote de Baleau, where they've recently planted vines at a very high density and feel like they're already getting the quality equivalent of much older vines because of this competition/stress.

Even if it results in what some would consider a wine better suited to their tastes, if SM were to come into new ownership that were to change the philosophy personally I don't think Bordeaux overall would be better for the reduction in styles. I know I would be poorer for it, seeming to like all styles (though this more than others) at one time or another as the mood suits me. Besides that, in no way did I find the 09 SM to be in a proper stage for enjoyment right now. Unlike most or all of the 09s I've tried (which isn't that many but they seemed to jive with the descriptions of most other wines), it was typically stern and rigid from a tactile/mouthfeel standpoint. It did share the characteristics of scale and ripeness of the vintage though.