Poll: What is your favorite appellation?

What is your favorite appellation?

Haut Medoc
3%
St. Estephe
No votes
Pauillac
31%
St. Julien
21%
Margaux
7%
Graves/Pessac
10%
Sauternes/Barsac
No votes
St. Emilion
7%
Pomerol
21%

Total votes: 29
JimHow

Poll: What is your favorite appellation?

Post by JimHow »

If a meteor were going to destroy the Earth tomorrow and you could drink from only one appellation for your last meal tonight, which would it be? (I have even included St. Emelion and Pomerol from the considered-by-some-to-be-"Bordeaux" appellations of the right bank.)
stefan

Re: Poll: What is your favorite appellation?

Post by stefan »

The question reminds me of "which of your children do you like best?"
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

I have to say that my go to is usually Pauillac. I like the minty-structured nature of the wines. The quality levels are high across the board as well.

How many Croizet-Bages types appear in other appelations? Far more than in Pauillac, but then other areas can show their magic as well.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

I am a left bank guy, but if I'm going out, I'm going out in style: Pomerol. Petrus.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Jim,

May be you should also poll: "Name the top three/five appellations in the order that you like". Then we can tally the points at the end to see which appellations rank the best among the BWErs...

CV
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

It was a difficult choice, but I went with Margaux because of the nose, the berries, the feminine mystique, the je ne sais quoi. Sure there's more variability here than in Pauillac, but I don't have to drink the poor ones do I? If in the end you guys want to cuddle up with Rambo, be my guest. If I've got to go, I'm going out with something a little softer. :-)
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I'll have to think about this.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Even though Pauillac has the most first growths it is impossible to choose...the only ones not in contention are the first two.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

I voted Pomerol based on Jim's text (one last bottle at the restaurant at the end of the world, just trying to enjoy it rather than thinking about it too much.) I'd have voted Pauillac or St. Julien based only on the thread subject.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I answer about my favorite AOC, that is St-Julien. One last bottle, harder choice... but probably a Chateau Léoville Las Cases from a great vintage.

To me, St-Julien offer the best of Bordeaux, being Left Bank, with good proportion of Cabernet, and a kind of mixture between Pauillac and Margaux.

To help understand my vote : is there any underachiever in St-Julien? Did you ever had a bottle of St-Julien (a bottle with no default like corked) that was really gross?

Nic
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Actually I think the question stated, "you could drink from only one appellation for your last meal tonight ... " (emphasis added). There appears to be no limitation on the number of chateau or bottles. I'm surprised no one, but especially Stefan, picked up on this. Who drinks just one bottle of wine with a meteor coming?

So now I've narrowed it down to the two communes with the most, most expensive wines (I think), points chaser that I am. But it just so happens that these are the two communes where I've drunk almost none of the top wines. Pomerol and Pauillac. So, I've got that far.

Would I prefer Petrus, Lafleur, Trotanoy, La Conseillante, Clinet, and L'Eglise Clinet (I'm sure I'm omitting some notable - Le Pin?) or Lafite, Latour, Mouton, Lynch Bages, PC, Pichon Lalande, and Pichon Baron?

I'll have to think about this. I'd say a meteor impact would be a rather emotional experience and so I'm leaning toward the more sensual as opposed to the intellectual.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

I voted for Graves because Haut Brion and La Misssion Haut Brion are my favorite wines. But I tend to agree with stefan's take on the question. I am also a big fan of Margaux, Pomerol, St. Julian and Pauillac.

Chris Bublitz
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

While I checked Pomerol for the emotional, sensual experience, I guess a more cerebral choice would be a Mouton from a meteor/celestial year:

or

or

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Based on actual experience St. Julien is probably my favorite, with St. Estephe 2nd or tied, then Pomerol, then Margaux, then Graves.

Unfortunately I voted for Pomerol based on aspirational stuff because I haven't tried as many of those wines. Now I can't take it back.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Can't pick just one. I'm with Art.

Though an Yquem from "the meteor year" (1811) sounds like a good choice.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Margaux margaux margaux margaux, the exotic fem sex appeal gets me every time....yes I'm metro!!
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

I voted for St. Emilion partly because someone had to... If I were voting based on my current overall preference it would probably be Pauillac, but many of the wines I liked early in my bordeaux courtship were St. Emilions, and I'd be quite happy to sip on a great vintage of Angelus or Tertre Roteboeuf waiting for the meteor to hit.
RDD

Post by RDD »

I'm OK with a meteor.
Now a meteorite worries me a bit more.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

With or without the meteorite... living without precocious vintages of Mouton & Lafite would be a disaster in our household, so my answer is the same for both!
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

robertgoulet wrote:Margaux margaux margaux margaux, the exotic fem sex appeal gets me every time....yes I'm metro!!
Metro?!?!

Dude, puleaze, have you seen your hair eye-brows lately? You're in Vegas right now - get them plucked.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Hahaha, only u would notice that detail!!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

I've heard loaded questions before. This is like if you could have sex with one female(male...whatever rocks your boat!) and the world was going to end who would you choose. First off would my wife read this..... then of course she'd be the one and only! ;) ....

I choose Pomerol because I've had so many but limited beautiful bottles that have rocked me. 82 Certain de May Xs 12 has been fabulous, 90 & 2000 Lafleur along with Lafleur Petrus stellar and 89,90 Petrus stopped me in my tracks. 98 Hosanna was a special amazing wine in a New world but beautiful kind of way.

If the world was going to end and I could magically decide I'd gather a group of appreciating wine buddies(Ya we can import you for the tasting Jim along with others so you don't feel left out!) and set up the dream Petrus Vertical including all 100 pointers....1921,1947,1961,1989,1990 & 2000. I'd probably throw in the 19945 & 1982 98+ pointers just to see how accurate these ratings really hold up!

Hard to stop there. I'd probably then pull out the 1961,1990,2000 and 1900 Margaux with the 1982 thrown in for good measure just to satisfy my dilema in voting for only one. :D

It's nice to dream isn't it!
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

If I have any say about it, Danny, my last bottle of wine before I depart for the Great Tasting Room in the Sky is going to be from Pauillac: 1989 Lynch-Bages....
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

This one is even better.
Ognik

Post by Ognik »

Haut Medoc.
Live was easy when it was boring.
Those days are defenitly gone.