Wall Street Journal on Steven Tanzer, IWC

JonB

Wall Street Journal on Steven Tanzer, IWC

Post by JonB »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: Wall Street Journal on Steven Tanzer, IWC

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

His are the only professional notes I can recall reading that mention saline or brine, which is a sensation or evocation (if that's a word) that often comes to me with a wine (usually red and of course usually Bordeaux) that appeals to me. To that extent I guess I should follow his notes when I see them. Then of course there's the whole "inner-mouth" thing.

I do agree with one of the comments though, that I will probably never perceive or perhaps discern is the better word as many individual thingies in a wine as the pros do, but this does not prvent me from enjoying them all the same.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Good article, thanks for posting Jon.

Can this be accurate though (?):

"Mr. Tanzer's palate and his long-standing preferences seem very much aligned with current less-is-more trends in the wine world."
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:His are the only professional notes I can recall reading that mention saline or brine, which is a sensation or evocation (if that's a word) that often comes to me with a wine (usually red and of course usually Bordeaux) that appeals to me.
I love brine, saline, oyster shell and savoury things in my wine. Tend to find it in old world Rhones and some Languedocs.
JonB

Post by JonB »

What a tough job he has....sitting in that apartment tasting wine all day except Sundays.

I'm not so sure Tanzer is an anti-flavor elite; or that the modern trend (for vignerons is towards moderation).

What I do notice in his reviews is that he loves Burgundy, he loves many white wines, and there is definitely a point gap between his and RP's upper ratings, but I wouldn't say it is extremely large for (what some might call) over-the-top wines. He's not nearly as polarizing as say John Gilman.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I used to subscribe to him and I liked him but at some point I had to cut someone out, I mean, I subscribe to Wall Street Journal, New York Times, The Wine Advocate, Astronomy, Paris Review, The Economist, The New Yorker, Foreign Affairs, Lewiston Sun Journal, Rolling Stone.... Been meaning to sign back up with Wine Spectator. Not to mention everything I read on line. Would like to sign up for Burghound too but, I mean, geez!
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

I don't think polarity is an appropriate analogy. I think the solar system is more apt. At the center, large, round, warm, begnign, and with an irresistable and compelling gravity is Parker. Without him nothing is possible. Around him orbit all other critics. Some are planet-sized, some, like the myriad bloggers, are like asteroids; they may orbit him nearly or farther away; their orbits may be regular or elliptical. Gilman is like Pluto: small, eccentric and only coming into view rarely.

Of course, in this system I've described, standing in and also outside the cosmos is the Benevolent Dictator.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The other day I was at a red light and I checked BWE on my iPhone and I read a Houndsound note that literally had me laughing out loud in the middle of the street. As Steve Martin once said about himself (paraphrasing): "Hound, how can you be so fucking funny?"
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

JonB wrote:I'm not so sure Tanzer is an anti-flavor elite; or that the modern trend (for vignerons is towards moderation)...and there is definitely a point gap between his and RP's upper ratings, but I wouldn't say it is extremely large for (what some might call) over-the-top wines. He's not nearly as polarizing as say John Gilman.
Totally agree. I let my IWC subscription lapse but I read Tanzer for years and like him. He is most definitely not an anti-flavor elite. He appreciates balance a little more than Parker and he scores a few points lower (which I applaud), but he's far closer to Parker in his taste than he is to Gilman
JonB

Post by JonB »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:I don't think polarity is an appropriate analogy. I think the solar system is more apt. At the center, large, round, warm, begnign, and with an irresistable and compelling gravity is Parker. Without him nothing is possible. Around him orbit all other critics. Some are planet-sized, some, like the myriad bloggers, are like asteroids; they may orbit him nearly or farther away; their orbits may be regular or elliptical. Gilman is like Pluto: small, eccentric and only coming into view rarely.

Of course, in this system I've described, standing in and also outside the cosmos is the Benevolent Dictator.
That IS funny. I remember Arv saying years ago "Hound, you should write a book."

So is Gall(i)oni the asteriod that nearly entered the atmosphere?
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Thank you, Jim and Jon. But you have a most highly-developed sense of humor, I'm not just saying that.

Actually I was thinking of compiling a "Best of Houndsong/AlohaArt" thread. I am rather fond of the "Father Frank Phelan" dialogue.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

LOL!

Yes we need to accumulate a Best of Hound thread.

I think we need to do a BWE Hawaii at some point!
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

That's an interesting list of magazines and papers that you subscribe to, Jim. Coincidentally, I was on Sarah Palins' web page the other day, and she list the exact same publications as her favourite reads!
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

^ Now that's funny; better even if true. Jim can see Greenland from his house, you know.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

Last edited by pomilion on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Yes, Hound, your posts are among the most engaging on this forum :-).

Alex R.
best1watcha

Post by best1watcha »

His are the only professional notes I can recall reading that mention saline or brine, which is a sensation or evocation (if that's a word) that often comes to me with a wine (usually red and of course usually Bordeaux) that appeals to me.