Is Troplong the new Pavie on 'Roids?

OrlandoRobert

Is Troplong the new Pavie on 'Roids?

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Opinion piece by Chris Kissack on the 2010 Troplong:

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/blog/2013/ ... -linchpin/

I must say, I agree generally. I used to adore this estate. My last purchase was '08, which I think is spared the excesses apparently of the '09 and '10. I passed on these vintages. I debated it, but was underwhelmed by a 2000 I popped during this timeframe. Reading the tasting notes of the critics, and the scale of these wines, I did not think it would suit me. Chris says the '10 has 16% alcohol. I'm not sure I have ever heard of that in a Bdx.

I will admit to liking some modern Bdx, in particular, Pavie. The 2000, 01, 04 and 05 are all excellent.

Has anyone here tried the '09 or '10 Pavie?
DavidG

Re: Is Troplong the new Pavie on 'Roids?

Post by DavidG »

Nice report, I'm going to miss Chris' postings when they go behind a pay wall.

The last Troplong I bought was the '05, and I am letting them sleep. Haven't tasted the '09 or '10 Pavie or Troplong.

I do disagree with Chris' positive characterization of the '94 Troplong. This was a harsh thin weedy wine from the outset, and it failed to develop any redeeming qualities up to 15 years of age. I doubt I would like it now at age 19, if I still had any. I can see where someone who enjoys that style would not like the newer riper version. I admit to liking wines on the riper side, though I do appreciate wines that are more elegant as well. The '94 TM was not elegant.
JonoB

Post by JonoB »

94s from Pomerol are excellent and underrated.
Saint-Emilion, I am less convinced by.

I tried the 2010 twice, and whilst the second showing was infinitely more enjoyable as they hasn't overdone the oak, the rate of development in two years in barrel hints at Barosan Shiraz and not of the highest order.

I liked the 2006, but I think Pavie on Roids would be a good analogy:

FWIW, the 2010 Pavie has IMHO been heavily rained back in.
Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jono, I like '94 L'Evangile and Angelus. I haven't tasted widely enough to comment generally on '94 Pomerol vs St Emilion.
chris kissack

Post by chris kissack »

Wow, time flies. I spotted this post the other day and felt grateful for the think and thought to myself "must post something there" but before I know it a week has flown by and the post has disappeared from the home page (well, it had before I added this post anyway).

Just a note really to say thanks for the link, I do find it fascinating that the new Troplong-Mondot style hasn't been the cause of more controversy. Maybe a turbo-charged St Emilion just isn't as newsworthy as it was 10-ish years ago.

David, your comments on the 1994 Troplong-Mondot have some resonance with me, and I think it was perhaps a bad comparison to make, it's just that it's one of the older vintages I'm more familiar with. I admit it is a wine I have to look hard at to see the good points sometimes. It seems to keep coming back though; every time I have a bottle and think "wow, this is more weedy than I remember it" the next one somehow seems more textured and impressive. Certainly it's a wine on the edge of what I enjoy.

Anyway, thanks again for the link.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Good stuff Chris.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

Here are my notes on 2010 Troplong Mondot from last month's UGC tasting:

"Troplong Mondot -- the most controversial wine of the tasting by a mile. I don't mind modern-styled bordeaux, as you can probably tell, but this is just too much. It's delicious in a CA-styled, almost syrah or zinfandel-like, way (though slightly plasticy) -- but it just doesn't taste like bordeaux. Makes Pavie taste like Figeac... I've liked some modern vintages of Troplong Mondot (bought a case of the 05 which was mind-blowing at the UGC 5 years ago) but it seems like they swing for the fences (at the edge of over-ripeness) far too often -- maybe once in a while you'll inspire comparisons to 1947 Cheval Blanc, but more often than not you end up with a hot, CA-like monster."

Like Orlando Robert (but probably even more so), I like many modern-styled bordeaux. I have quite a bit of Pavie and Pavie Decesse in my cellar, as well as a case of '05 Troplong Mondot which was exceptional (in a large-scale, modern, somewhat exotic way) at the UGC 2005 tasting. So you might say I'm not far from T-M's target audience for their 2010. It's a total fail -- way way over-the-top, tasted like a high-alcohol CA Central Coast Rhone blend or CA zin. If it cost $30/bottle I'd be tempted to buy a case, remove the labels and pretend I was drinking zin or a GSM blend... There were a few folks at the UGC tasting going nuts over it, but a greater number (including myself) who were left scratching their heads. Tasted nothing like bordeaux to me. I've slipped Pavie into tastings of high-end CA cab blends and it's instantly recognizable as bordeaux -- if you threw 2010 T-M into the same tasting it would definitely stand out -- but more people would be guessing CA zin or gsm than bordeaux.
Last edited by pomilion on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Sounds like the '10 Troplong is this vintage's '09 Cos.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Blanquito wrote:Sounds like the '10 Troplong is this vintage's '09 Cos.
I was thinking the same thing, and then got a chuckle that Gilman actually liked the 2010 Cos.

:shock:
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

Having tasted it twice in barrel, I loved 2010 Troplong Mondot. I wanted to taste it with the UGC, but they were out of the wine by the time I hit the table. For tasting notes on Troplong Mondot http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/bor ... ng-mondot/

As for the 1994 Troplong Mondot, at least to me, it's not a wine i'm fond of.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Jeff -

Neither the 09 nor the 10 read like anything I want to buy or drink. How is the '08 faring right now? Your notes read nicely on that wine. Drinking window thoughts? I own this vintage.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

OrlandoRobert wrote:
Blanquito wrote:Sounds like the '10 Troplong is this vintage's '09 Cos.
I was thinking the same thing, and then got a chuckle that Gilman actually liked the 2010 Cos.

:shock:
Wait... What?! Gilman liked 2010 TM?
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

OrlandoRobert wrote:Jeff -

Neither the 09 nor the 10 read like anything I want to buy or drink. How is the '08 faring right now? Your notes read nicely on that wine. Drinking window thoughts? I own this vintage.
I'd wait a while before popping a cork. But that's just me.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I didn't try the 2010 Troplong, but had the 1990 twice last year and on both occasions the wine was cracking up and coming to an ugly demise. I wonder if there are any parallels between these two wines? I also had a bad experience with the 1994 a few years ago, as suggested I think they went too far in the other direction.

One man's meat is another man's poison but judging by the description of the 2010 I often wonder how people enjoy these extremely extracted high alcohol styles. I usually can't get past the first glass.

Apart from Figeac which are the traditionally styled old-fashioned Saint-Emilions now left? Now that Belair and apparently Magdelaine have moved across to the dark side?

On a slight note of thread drift I was very pleased to taste Pape Clement 2010, a wine I had previous criticised for going to a more extracted style. The 2010 is a beautifully balanced and elegant wine, combining the best of old and new. I intend to buy some.