00s Pontet Canet vertical

Bacchus

00s Pontet Canet vertical

Post by Bacchus »

Knowing that PC holds a special place in the hearts of BWEers, I thought this might be of interest:
http://www.wineanorak.com/bordeaux/Pontet%20Canet.htm
robertgoulet

Re: 00s Pontet Canet vertical

Post by robertgoulet »

Tasted the '03 in '07....dumb as a box of rocks
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Not sure who is posting that but I think it's notable that he/she finds only three points separating the worst and the best PCs of the decade, at least at this time. Probably while I could taste some difference in these wines (I have the 03 and 04 and a lone mag of the 01) I am not confident in my ability to taste the difference three points makes qualitatively. I will say one thing for that other guy, even amid criticism of his dishing out 100 pt scores like Dominos delivers pizzas, he has probably liked one of these better than another to the tune of 9 points anyway.

Of course this narrow grouping can also speak to the consistency of this estate across some very disparate vintage conditions. If it weren't as expensive now, it would seem to be one of those safe bet in bad vintage kind of wines.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Art, the Wine Anorak is Jamie Goode; a fairly well-known wine taster/critic/journalist from the UK.
http://www.wineanorak.com/index.htm
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Never heard of him.

He should start varying his scores more, mark a few in the 60s and a few 100s, make a name for himself.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:Not sure who is posting that but I think it's notable that he/she finds only three points separating the worst and the best PCs of the decade, at least at this time. Probably while I could taste some difference in these wines (I have the 03 and 04 and a lone mag of the 01) I am not confident in my ability to taste the difference three points makes qualitatively. I will say one thing for that other guy, even amid criticism of his dishing out 100 pt scores like Dominos delivers pizzas, he has probably liked one of these better than another to the tune of 9 points anyway.

Of course this narrow grouping can also speak to the consistency of this estate across some very disparate vintage conditions. If it weren't as expensive now, it would seem to be one of those safe bet in bad vintage kind of wines.
Fair point, and I was thinking the same thing on my first read. I have not had this form of vertical with PC, so cannot comment on accuracy, but it was surprising to see such a tight net of scores.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

I agree that the range is a little tight but it's not completely crazy. I went to a Pontet Canet dinner in Los Angeles with Alfred Tesseron in attendance a couple years ago. '94, '96 and '00 through '08 were poured. All of the wines were at least good to very good, some with the potential to be great, but the more promising wines were pretty shut down/tight. (The '96 was drinking beautifully.) I'm cellaring '04, '05, '08, '09 and '10 and probably won't touch them until at least 12-15 years after the vintage.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

I don't think it's crazy at all, just notable, given that a couple of the wines are pegged as rock stars in other quarters. It does speak to the consistency of the growth. Pretty much bullet proof in the 00s.

The 03 is also tied for the least of the best. Just sayin.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I tried the 2007 at the château last December, and liked it very much!

The 2003 was very excellent the only Time I had it.

I have some 2006 and 2009 in the cellar but did not open à bottle yet, and don't plan to before 5 more years.

Nic
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

The '07 is a very nice wine, wish it were $50-60 instead of $75-80 though it's still tempting. I've had it three times and was impressed each time.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We did a vertical of 1994 to 2004 in NYC with Alfred Tesseron a few years ago. The wines were okay, the 1996 was the star of the night. Of course, we identified it as a wine of "first growth quality" before He and most others did. In fact, Jackdaw started a thread on Pontet Canet on the first day of BWE's existence 13 years ago. I have a 6L of the 1994 Pontet Canet, a 3L of the 2003, a case of the 2003, a case of 2004, and a case of 2006. These are the only Pontet Canets I'll own from here on out, as the wine has become too expensive. I'll probably start drinking them 15-20 years from now.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

I think the '03 needs a lot of time
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Funny how we all have some PC, yet our holding vary. I'm cellaring 00, 03, 04 and 06. Never did get the 05s. There's quite a bit of 08 available here, so I may get some at some point, but I won't get anything more recent than that. From 09 the price is too steep.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I own half a dozen 1994s from a case I took out of storage a year ago. It over achieved in the context of what has turned out to be an average vintage but I don't think it will improve, and it does not quite live up to its earlier promise. I have cases of the 1996, 2003 and 2009, and am really looking forward to trying the 1996 but am in no hurry. Am open minded about the 2003, I sense a binary outcome here. I had the 2004 the other day and it was really, really good, and surprisingly accessible. The 2009 I will try and hang on to and not broach for another 20 years. The one I regret missing EP was the 2005. Although the quality is arguably extraordinary now, for some reason I can't really put my finger on, Pontet Canet does not excite me as much as some other estates, like for example GPL, which is almost as good at a fraction of the price. For Pontet Canet prices are arguably keeping pace with the quality like that other esteemed fifth growth a few km further down the road.
chris kissack

Post by chris kissack »

I still have quiet a few bottles of the 1994, which was when quality first moved upwards IMO. In more recent vintages, I picked up just a few odd bottles here and there, including '04, '05 and '09 I think.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Interesting, Comte, to hear that the 04 is accessible. I was under the impression that most 04s were still a little sleepy. I might have to try one myself and see how mine are coming along. I wonder how the rest of the 04s are doing. Isn't RobertGoulet our man in 04? Maybe we should put him on a mission to explore the vintage and report back on their development.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Bacchus wrote:Isn't RobertGoulet our man in 04? Maybe we should put him on a mission to explore the vintage and report back on their development.
Yes, Bobby the "panty-dropper" is the '04 man, but bear in mind, he's a like a college frat boy at a high school party - likes 'em young!