Lemming I Remain: 2010 GPL for $80

Bacchus

Re: Lemming I Remain: 2010 GPL for $80

Post by Bacchus »

No sign of the 2010s here yet. Cracky, the 09s haven't been on the shelves but for a few months! So slow.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Gerry M. wrote:Is there any opinion on the 2010 Gruaud Larose? How's $60 for in-stock?
That's my second favorite St Julien wine behind Barton in the recent UGC tasting...IMO, $60 is a good buy...A while back it was on sale at PC for $45...
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

JimHow wrote:Hey I looked at the MacArthur's site for the first time in a long time and I noticed to my pleasant surprise that they now again ship to Maine after a period of years of not doing so. I'm trying to figure out whether their 2009 Lanessan is in stock or is still prearrival.

I think we need to mug Gerry and have him tell us where the 2010 Gruaud Larose is in stock for $60, I don't see anything listed on the NH site.
LOL, I bought one bottle off of a wine commune auction for $60 and the seller says that he has more if I want it for the same price.

I'm considering the first bottle a test. If it shows up in good shape I'll find out how many he has to sell and pass along the contact info.

Here's the link to the lot:

http://www.winecommune.com/lot.cfm/wine ... 29512.html
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

This is a good thread, a BWE thread.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Chateau Vin wrote:
Gerry M. wrote:Is there any opinion on the 2010 Gruaud Larose? How's $60 for in-stock?
That's my second favorite St Julien wine behind Barton in the recent UGC tasting...IMO, $60 is a good buy...A while back it was on sale at PC for $45...
It was in my top 5 wines that I tried and was extraordinary (not just magnificent). At $60 it is a no-brainer because this is the best Gruaud ever.
chris kissack

Post by chris kissack »

This is a funny thread. I've never seen a wine described as a "panty dropper" before, and I love the confidence of "I'm not afraid of this thread".

Thanks to those that asked my opinion. For what its worth....

Léoville-Poyferré is a very good wine, but to my palate I found the tannic structure OTT. It's a wine to buy for your children perhaps; lay it down, come back to it in 20 years, and those tannins will still be dominating I think. If you're OK with that, then shoot.

Pape-Clément also a good wine, and the oak didn't seem to dominate the palate as much as it does in most vintages, so perhaps the fruit of 2010 has stood up to it better than usual. Or they've reined in their use of new oak, which I doubt. For me though, I wasn't that keen on the slightly sweet, confit, black jam character to the fruit, so it is not a wine I would shoot for. But these are stylistic issues. It's a good wine, just not my style.

I preferred (in St Julien) St-Pierre and the previously mentioned Gloria, although Léoville-Barton was head-and-shoulders above all IMO. In Pessac, I preferred Haut-Bailly, Smith-Haut-Lafitte and Chevalier.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Chris would you say that Leoville Barton is a contender for wine of the vintage outside the FGs? I thought it was extraordinary plus. Though I didn't try Ducru and LLC, it was better than the two Pichons. However Pichon Lalande is a very sexy and silky wine in 2010.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Well if it's panty droppers you want: 05 Beausejour Becot. I never knew they made wine like that in France!
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

chris kissack wrote:This is a funny thread. I've never seen a wine described as a "panty dropper" before, and I love the confidence of "I'm not afraid of this thread".
You clearly need to come to Florida, Chris, to tip some bottles with me and Bobby! You'll learn a few more descriptors and maybe, just maybe, survive the encounter . . . . With Bobby around, keep your wife away. He's a dangerous man.

8-)
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

lollololol....me? u don't want me to start in on u!!! good stuff...yes chris keep her away!!!
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Wow, so interesting to see the different perspectives on the vintage

I thought Barton was tight, tough to see it's potential....I did not see the big tannins in poyferre instead it was one of the most open and seductive wines of the tasting along with pape, baron and the l'oratoire. I thought poyferre had great balance also, though like pape and l'oratoire it displayed a new world/old world feel.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

robertgoulet wrote:Wow, so interesting to see the different perspectives on the vintage

I thought Barton was tight, tough to see it's potential....I did not see the big tannins in poyferre instead it was one of the most open and seductive wines of the tasting along with pape, baron and the l'oratoire. I thought poyferre had great balance also, though like pape and l'oratoire it displayed a new world/old world feel.
I personally liked Barton of all the St Juliens, followed by Gruaud. I also liked ST Pierre, but for that price, I would rather go for Gruaud (esp. for $60). For me Barton is a notch above other St Juliens (admittedly, did not try LLC and Ducru). I would consider that Barton would be a contender for Wine of vintage...

Among Pauillacs, I liked the Baron the best followed closely by GPL. But for the price, GPL for me was a clear winner...

I liked SHL the best from Pessac. Though I am not a smoker, boy the notes of tobacco were seductive... :P Among the blancs, DdC followed by SHL were stellar. Pape Blanc was also too good, but for the price, I would rather buy DdC...
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

SHL...one of my all time favorite bordeauxs I felt did not show well, not a bad wine by any means, just didn't stand out with those pessac characteristics I love so much.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

robertgoulet wrote:
. robertgoulet wrote:
in fact the entire canon la gaff. stable was fantastic and by far the sexiest 2010 exotic spice delight of the night

'10 CLG was fantastic at last month's UGC, one of the top wines of the night - as you say, very spicy, sexy and exotic.
Actually this was not the wine I was referring to, it's the clos l'oratoire...this was the panty dropper

The CLG was much tighter
BobbyG is ordering me 3 of the panty dropper. He likes dropped panties more than he likes it tight. As a friend, I must back his choices . . . .

Order away, BobbyGoulet [I'm a poet, and I know it]
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Even If BobbyG likes pants drop, I don't want to see "THAT" picture of me here. I do not allow it.

Nic
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

That's the picture that has me frightened to attend any future BWE events!! My eyes are still pissed at me ;)
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Nicklasss wrote:Even If BobbyG likes pants drop, I don't want to see "THAT" picture of me here. I do not allow it.

Nic
+1!!!
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Nor can I eat a whoppie pie
RDD

Post by RDD »

robert goulet wrote:Nor can I eat a whoppie pie
No port for you!