Bacchus

Bdx is the new Bdx

Post by Bacchus »

According to Asimov, it's working its way back:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/06/dinin ... ted=1&_r=0
DavidG

Re: Bdx is the new Bdx

Post by DavidG »

I find this particularly useless journalism. A cliquey report worthy of a high school newspaper. Who gives a rat's ass what the NYC sommelier corps and the "Brooklyn winoscenti" think is "cool" or popular on NYC restaurant wine lists? The article offers no advice to consumers who might actually frequent one of the NY restaurants that caters to the "winoscenti," and mention of Burdigala comes after the event so it's of no help to those who weren't "scenti" enough to know about it beforehand. I guess I learned that the whims of the "in" crowd can shift pretty rapidly with respect to whether Bdx is part of the clique or not. Just like high school. What would Baron Philippe say? "Premier je suis, Second je fus, Bordeaux ne change."
RDD

Post by RDD »

I found this assuming:

If consumers are ever going to flock again to Bordeaux, it will be to the less-exalted appellations. The quality of these wines has risen greatly, but importers and sommeliers must still dig deep to find worthy wines.

"less-exalted appellations" ???????????????????

Is that Bordeaux? Not in my cellar.
Just another Vin De Table that happens to be geographically close. You can get the same in Spain,Italy,USA,Aus.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Interesting reactions to this article.

What goes around comes around (swings and roundabouts).

The article itself is superficiel and I really loved your comments David!
Hit the nail on the head!

Let us not overlook one important aspect of this all: the "fox and the grapes syndrome".
Clearly, great growth Bordeaux grew to be very expensive very quickly therefore some people on some markets suddently decided it was "boring" and not worth the bother any more...
If they could have bought their Ducru Beaucaillou or Haut Brion at prices that merely kept step with inflation, they never would have said such a thing.

RDD,
I politely beg to differ with you about the 95% of Bordeaux that is not classified. There are some absolute gems out there.
I'm sorry there don't seem to be any in your part of the country.
Furthermore, Cabernet (OK, let's say Cabernet/Merlot blends) is one of the world's great grape varieties. Can you find anything in the US, Australia, or Spain that can touch affordable Bordeaux here? I think not.

All the best,
Alex R.
RDD

Post by RDD »

Alex:

My point was a good wine from a lesser appellation is not Leoville Las Cases.

They are good.They are affordable.I've drunk my share.

What will the new consumers reference point be?
When they think Bordeaux will Larose Trintaudon pop into their mind?

Have classified growths just become so expensive that a Sommelier doesn't even suggest them anymore.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

"Have classified growths just become so expensive that a Sommelier doesn't even suggest them anymore"

It does not help when it's priced at 3x retail.

Be it Califronia cab or Bordeaux I can generally find options at retail despite a generally rising market. What I cannot tolerate any longer is impact on the restauant pricing model. If a wine increases $10 at retail it translates to a $25 to $30 increase on the wine list.
A bottle of Ducru might be $60 at retail and would be $120-$150 on a list. Now that the retail is $125-$150 it translates to $250-$300+. I've have a new found appreciation for craft beers and scotch when I dine out.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Won't argue with a fine scotch, Gerry. Yum yum.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Bacchus,
You have chosen your moniker wisely. Strong spirits make a man's heart glad.
-Dionysus

PS. Just for the record, I'm writing my masters thesis on Dionysian symbolism in the music and life of Jimi Hendrix.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

You're writing a thesis on Dionysian symbolism and Jimi Hendrix?! So, are you a lot younger than I thought you were, or have you decided to return to university to do something you've always wanted to? And for what program/dept would you write a thesis such as that: Religious Studies, Anthropology, Music History?

And what's better, the 95 or 96 Chasse-Spleen?
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I have returned to school after 25 years or so. It's in musicology, which is a fancy term for music history, although it embraces/overlaps with many different things including cultural studies and music theory. I'm going to The City College at CUNY. Unfortunately, I haven't tried either the '95 or '96 Chasse-Spleen. I'm sure they are both good but have little to go on. I liked very much the '99, '00, '01, '02, and '06. I'm planning to try the '05 soon and wouldn't mind trying the '09, of course ;0)
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

That sounds like a cool program, C-S. Hope it works out.

As far as the comparison between the 95 and 96 vintages of Chasse-Spleen go, well maybe the BD can enlighten us. I understand he's an expert on those two vintages. :-)