TN: 2009 Clos Marsalette

Nicklasss

TN: 2009 Clos Marsalette

Post by Nicklasss »

Tonight, as Marie-Claude feels better, I thought I should open an interesting Bordeaux. Locally, I had some problem to get some, but with the help of my brother in Montréal, I finaly been able to get three bottles of the 2009 Clos Marsalette. We did not got many bottles in Québec...

So the 2009 Clos Marsalette is crimson red. Aromas were à bit dump at first, but developed nicely on some strong tobacco, medium strong burned oak, chocolate, dark berries and light cinnamon. Also some minerals and merlot berries. In mouth, the wine has à nice density, with a syrupy mid-palate, including flavors of oak, very ripe dark red berries, Wood from the vine, ripe plums, and a medium bitter Wood finish. good ripe tannic structure. Very good, definetely modern, nô austerity there, a very good wine, slaloming on the "just a little bit over" border. Hope that a few years will get back some more fruit on the front. TN : 89-90.

Nic
JimHow

Re: TN: 2009 Clos Marsalette

Post by JimHow »

Sounds modern and boring, Parkerized... Soulless.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

I hope it improves for you, Nic. Speaking of putting one's brother to use (nice segue, hey?) The local authorities ran out of the 09 GPL and DomChev before it even hit the shelves. I thought I'd have to do without. Then I recalled, I have a brother in another region of the country -- and voila, 3 bottles of each on the way. :-)
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I had a glass of the leftover last night, and it was the same, but we even more oak-wood burned bitterness on the final... Was a 86-87 points wine last night...

If that wine is "the future of Bordeaux", I'll quit buying Bordeaux wines than.

I prefer think that this was an "imperfect" bottle, with a default. But I'm in no rush to open a second bottle soon.

Nic
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Sinking fast, is it? If you don't mind me asking, what do they charge for it in PQ?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

It was 36$ a bottle a few weeks ago.

Not cheap.

As you know Bacchus, wine is expensive in Canada.

Nic
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Ya, we pay for that social safety net one way or another. Not complaining, just saying. In that price range I wonder have you tried Lanessan, Haut Columbier, Gironville, or Cantenac. I liked the 05 Gironville; it was very good QPR. Haven't tried the 09.