TN: Mixed Bag of TNs

Harry C.

TN: Mixed Bag of TNs

Post by Harry C. »

• 1996 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon - France, Champagne (3/13/2013)
    Pale Gold. Fine bubbles. Nose of yeast and citrus fruits. Taste was smooth, rich, citrus, bready. Best I've had from this bottling yet. (96 pts.)
  • 2005 Abreu Cabernet Sauvignon Madrona Ranch - USA, California, Napa Valley (3/13/2013)
    Black. Nose all coffee and anise with a little black fruits thrown in. Taste was smooth, similar to the nose. Excellent. (95 pts.)
  • 2009 Morlet Family Vineyards Chardonnay Coup de Coeur - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/13/2013)
    Pale yellow. Nose was citric, vanilla, shy. Taste was lemony, vanilla, bright. I liked but kinda less than I was expecting. (93 pts.)
  • 1995 Araujo Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Eisele Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (3/13/2013)
    Perhaps heat damaged in the nose (got at auction) but the taste was wonderful. NR (flawed)
  • 1996 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (2/24/2013)
    Deep garnet. None of the funk of the last bottle. Cork was fairly dry but able to be removed (I have a humidity and Temp controlled cellar so I believe it is the cork used-may explain the wide range of opinions of this) This nose had the sweetness smelled in the HSS and anise and tobacco. Wonderful. Taste was all licorice with some hint of dried herbs. Beautiful (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
dstgolf

Re: TN: Mixed Bag of TNs

Post by dstgolf »

Harry,

Nice notes.

I don't think I've had an Abreu before and from your notes I question whether it's in the super charged Cali Cab group.

The 95 Eisle I had last month and it was fantastic as always. No issues with the nose previously. Fourth time I've had this and a beautiful wine.

Never seen or heard of Morlet before??
Danny
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Abreu is usually a smoother version of a Cult. This just was bigger than usual. Morlet Family is the winery of Luc Morlet, one of the past winemakers of Peter Micheal. His brother Nick is the present winemaker at PM wih Luc occasionally stopping by. He is talented, but PM has the vineyards and This shows that land (terrior?) trumps talent-at least this time IMO. I liked the wne at PM with Luc at the helm better (so far) than Luc with his own vineyards.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nice lineup, you are drinking well Harry! Have you seen a lot of variation in the '96 Dom?
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Dave, No, I have not. But I feel it is getting to its sweet spot for my tastes. Aging does work sometimes!