New Dallas Info

Claret

Re: New Dallas Info

Post by Claret »

I can bring a Burgundy or top quality Oregon PN on Friday.
Glenn
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm going to bring a 2002 Jadot Clos Vougeot for Friday night, a 2002 Haut Brion for Saturday night, and, well, I guess we'll just have to wait for Jimmy L. B. How's press conference for the other Saturday night wine....
stefan

Post by stefan »

I guess we should start separate Burgundy and Rhone threads. I would hate for the Burgs to get polluted by Syrah and Grenache.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I have 1978, 1979, and 1983 Beaucastel I could bring on Friday. Let me know what might be appropriate

-Ken
hm$

Post by hm$ »

Ken:

Any of those are wonderful. I am considering a '95 Pegau and/or a La Nerthe CdP Cuvée des Cadettes, among others.

hm$
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Jim - I was going to bring a 2002 HB! I guess maybe I should bring a different vintage, then. I can put my hands on a 1998.

SF Ed
RDD

Post by RDD »

I'm planning to bring some 1996/97 Clos St Jacques from Jadot and Laurent.

Not sure what HB i have stashed.
Maybe a 1985/1986.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Too bad we can't get a couple bottles each of some of these Haut Brions, we could do a blind tasting, maybe get a couple other Pessacs in the mix like Pape Clement or SHL, see how the HBs match up.

I would of course fully expect the HWSRN89 Haut Brion from 2002 to prevail in a blind tasting.

I get nervous when we do these themes on Saturday night, with only one bottle of each vintage for 26 people it means some people get left out. We did a similar Latour thing at Chicago '04 and everyone went for the 1990.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I agree, Jim. Two bottles of each and a blind tasting would be fun, but tough to pull off with a first growth. That's the nature of the beast. I've missed out on some sweet bottles and I know I've had some great tastes that others have missed over the years. But the spirit of sharing is always strong. Other than one event long ago where we had like 100 people, many of whom had never even posted on BWE before, I've never seen a hint of anyone being denied a taste because they weren't with the right group. If there was something left in the bottle it was shared. If not, well there's always next year. Something a Red Sox fan can surely understand.

So I'm wondering what to bring. I've got a few Haut Brion to choose from. Thinking about a dessert wine: would it be sacrilege to bring an older Madeira?
Claret

Post by Claret »

David,

I love old Madeira and would be greatful if you brought a bottle. Based upon past experiences Madeira loves air and will greatly benefit from being opened once you have a chance to uncork the genie in your Dallas hotel room.

I enjoy Haut Brion but do not have any. I went to my locker yesterday and pulled a 1986 Rausan Segla for Saturday night.
Glenn
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Glenn, I like old Madeira as well. A bottle goes a long way so I figured this might be a good venue for it. It's a 1954 Barbeito Reserva Velha Malvasia.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

i'm getting a '71.
Damn u...that's my birth yr.! My fault for not attending