Sheez . . . Jimbo Brought me so down, I popped a Ridge Bdx!

OrlandoRobert

Sheez . . . Jimbo Brought me so down, I popped a Ridge Bdx!

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Had a Bordeaux on deck!

Pulled out the Ridge Estate Cab 2009 instead. Needed comfort food. By gosh this is wonderful, unspoofilated shizzle.

Blend of 77% Cab, 23% merlot, sub-14% ABV.
Santa Cruz Mountains
Monte Bello Vineyard

Showing the distinctive Draper perfume of American Oak and spicey dark berries. Menthol and graphite. Firm acidity, crunch red fruit and sweet dark fruits. Cool climate fruit. Some California dark chocolate with a touch of sea salt. Fine, grainy, chewy tannins. Just what the doctor ordered on this very nippy cool night in Orlando. Not Maine cold, but cold nonetheless.

This is a wine that still needs a few more years, but I needed something chewy.

Damn fine stuff.

(91-92+ pts.) The range will depend on how much of the American oak, a singular hallmark of Ridge, blows off.
JimHow

Re: Sheez . . . Jimbo Brought me so down, I popped a Ridge Bdx!

Post by JimHow »

Lol you are a true BWEer, Robert, you are feeling the pain. Bordeaux is an emotional experience. We want your soul, and clearly we have it. Sipping here on a 2009 d' Escurac (sp) or some such thing. Eh. Not bad, I guess.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Okay, Jim, you've pissed me off enough to send you some relief. No more moping!

What's ur address?

;)
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

For me, well it just had to be the 06 d'Armailhac (was almost an 02 Brown!). I haven't drunk through all mine yet! Austere damn thing. Cruchy fruits, black and red, but not an overwhelming amount of fruit. All the stuff you expect out of Pauillac: pencil, cedar, liquorice, something a little dirty, something a little savory. Medium bodied, not viscous. Well measured oak; like the fruit, there but not overwhelming. Perhaps not the longest finish. A Jim How kind of wine!
stefan

Post by stefan »

All this talk turned us to white Burgundy tonight. '04 Girardin Chassagne La Romanee is a winner. The nose has higher pedigree that the appellation, and the wine is no slouch in the mouth. There is no substitute for white Burgundy. Unfortunately.

As good as the NV Eric Rodez is, it was no match for the Romanee.

The connection to the thread is that Girardin has often been accused of making New World styled Chardonnay. When Girardin's wines are young they do not show much terroir, but with some age they are absolutely true. My expectation is that some of the Bdx discussed here are the same (OK, not Pavie).
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I too hit the white burg tonigtht

2007 maison champy bourgogne signature...very nice white, light clear yellow, great nose that you would find in a higher classificaiton...lightly toasted, hint of butter, minerals....the palate offers lots of tart lemon, a beam of minerality, crisp acidity, a very snappy and refreshing wine.(please do not ban me from typing that) :) NO SIGNS OF OX.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

robert goulet wrote:I too hit the white burg tonigtht

2007 maison champy bourgogne signature...very nice white, light clear yellow, great nose that you would find in a higher classificaiton...lightly toasted, hint of butter, minerals....the palate offers lots of tart lemon, a beam of minerality, crisp acidity, a very snappy and refreshing wine.(please do not ban me from typing that) :) NO SIGNS OF OX.
Burg again?

I don't know who you are anymore. . . .

8-)
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Talk to the devil son!
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

robert goulet wrote:Talk to the devil son!
Heathen!

I have a new Pope now. Let's compromise on a Malbec!

Let's go raid Roy's stash of 1977 Weinert Estrella!