An open letter to Robert Parker: Bob, please retire.

JimHow

An open letter to Robert Parker: Bob, please retire.

Post by JimHow »

Dear Mr. Parker:

I am a longtime subscriber to the Wine Advocate. I admire your writing style, your integrity, your obvious passion for the wines of Bordeaux. Your career has obviously been distinguished and has been an obvious unmitigated personal success.

Unfortunately, your personal success has, ironically, had a devastatingly negative impact upon wine markets and the wines being produced in Bordeaux. While there have unquestionably been many reasons why prices have risen (Asia, stock market growth, etc.), it is pretty hard to dispute that your 100 point scoring system and the related score inflation has had a significant impact upon the astronomical increases in prices. Wines that were accessible price-wise as recently as four or five years ago are no longer available. Your 100 point scoring system has created an obsessive world wide competition for the finest Bordeauxs that has turned the world's greatest wine region into a luxury item for the rich and famous. Bordeaux has gone Rolex on us.

Also, I think many of us feel that your American scoring system has created a homogenization, an internationalization, a "Parkerization" -- a sameness -- in the wines that are being produced in Bordeaux. Many wine lovers in the world are not offended by this "sameness" in the wines of the Gironde. Many of us, however, are saddened by the trend. I am from New England. I am a lifelong fan of the Boston Red Sox. I would any day of the week prefer to watch a game at ancient Fenway Park, with all its flaws and imperfections, than sit in at some modern cookie-cutter ballpark that may have all the comforts that the fanciest architects of the day can produce. So it is with Bordeaux. Give me the wines of the past -- wines of character, wines of uniqueness -- over these boring, alcoholic, cookie cutter efforts being produced today with the sole intention of garnering the highest Parker points possible.

There are many out there today who will say that your influence has had a positive impact on the wine making of Bordeaux; that there is stricter selection, more investment in equipment and cellars, etc. That may be true to a certain extent. I am one person, however, who believes that, as the baby boomer generation has grown up and more wealth has been distributed throughout the world, Bordeaux would have improved its winemaking techniques regardless of your existence. Some of the greatest wines ever produced in Bordeaux were from the 1980s -- at a time when your influence was certainly not what it has become in the past decade or two. I am guessing that Corinne Mentzelopoulos -- who arrived on the scene in 1978 -- would have gone on to produce greatness at Margaux whether Bob Parker existed or not. Having met Alfred Tesseron, I'm willing to venture that the wines of Pontet Canet would have achieved their current levels of perfection regardless of the writings and influence of Bob Parker.

I was looking forward to buying some 2010 Cantemerle. Since your 94 point rating last month, it has risen in price and disappeared from the shelves of many retailers. It is my fault, of course, not yours, that I waited too long to pull the trigger on some Cantemerle. However, some of us are concerned that Cantemerle will be the next "victim" of the Robert Parker 100 point scoring system, following in the footsteps of such other previously accessible wines like Duhart Milon, Pontet Canet, Pape Clement, Leoville Poyferre, La Lagune, Smith Haut Lafitte, Leoville Barton, etc., etc., etc.

None of this is your "fault." This letter is in no way intended as an "attack" upon you. You of course have every right to write what you want, rate your wines however you want, express your preferences for one style over the other, etc. So, in that sense, I am not "blaming" you. In the end, however, your success has had a dramatically negative impact. The wines are more expensive, and the wines have changed to a more bland and boring, interationalized, style. Therefore, with all due respect, I request that you consider retiring from the 100 point system of rating wines, in an effort to preserve the integrity of the wine markets of Bordeaux. I ask that you do it in the best interests of we the world wine consumers on whose behalf you have worked so hard to advocate over the past three decades or so of your distinguished career.

Thank you for your consideration of this request.

Sincerely,

Jim Howaniec
Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts
Lewiston, Maine
AlexR

Re: An open letter to Robert Parker: Bob, please retire.

Post by AlexR »

Jim,

I think that he sold his publication precisely because he wants to wind down and retire...

Parker's point of view is that:
- His notes are just that and anyone can take them or leave them.
- He is not responsible for pricing based on his scores.
- He is certainly not responsible for wines made according to "a recipe" just to please his palate
- He likes different kinds of wine, not just overextracted bruisers with lots of oak
- He is viewed as a pillar of the establishment when, in fact, he was, and continues to be, an iconoclast

Of course, not everyone is required to accept this point of view...

All the best,
Alex
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

The trick is to buy the sub 90 point score wines !!! Jk
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Wow, that was fast. Jim printed his letter and Bob retired.

A couple of things:

First, an exercise. Please fill in the blank:

If Lisa Perotti-Brown MW appeared any more relaxed, she'd be _____________.

Second, how could Parker continue to view himself as an iconoclast? Maybe back in the day, but for the past decade anyway he has been the biggest wheel (wittingly or unwittingly) in the "Pump 'em Like Parker" machine of international, modern winemaking and marketing. He's the sine qua non of the entire wine trade, from the producers down to the retailers and consumers. He'd have to be seriously deluded or totally conceited to think he is still marching one way to his own drummer against the ramparts of the established, greedy and cowardly order.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote: First, an exercise. Please fill in the blank:

If Lisa Perotti-Brown MW appeared any more relaxed, she'd be _____________.
LOL. I was going to post, "damn that lady is HOT!" I may become a new subscriber . . . .
Robert M. Parker

Post by Robert M. Parker »

Dear Jim... I've been lurking on your site for a while and your letter finally got me to register...as you know I am winding down my participation at WA...editorial and ownership passed to Asia...to allow me to pursue my passion less encumbered by the day to day duties of putting the magazine together...even though I am "taking back" California. With Antonio's departure we are looking for some new blood on the staff...and they are not that easy to come by despite what Lisa thinks. I've been enjoying your posts here and elsewhere (especially that Suckling "vicious" comment)...and would like to invite you to apply for one of the staff writer postions at WA...maybe you can take over Bordeaux as the overseas travel is playing heck with my gout and my knee...send me a PM and I'll ;put yuo in touch with Lisa...

All the best in wine and life
RMP Jr
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

That's the best post in a long time Jim. RMP jr pulling your pisser. Had a good laugh. Just want to know who's the impostor! :lol:
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha ha, I don't know, Danny, I'm just a country lawyer from Maine.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Please Jim, rate all those Crus classés under 85, to try to get the prices down. Don't forget to insure your nose for one million dollar.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Great letter Jim. There is a lot of truth in it (in complete contrast to the post by "RMP Jr").
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Better than the "Onion"...brought a tear to my eye...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha ha he had me until the Suckling reference, that suggests a familiarity with our site a little too great for an international wine expert.

Actually, as old time BWEers know, there was a time when Robert Parker really did know who we were. He actually recognized Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts in one of his previous consumer guide books (I want to say 5th edition?) as one of the best wine web sites on the Internet. I was actually exchanging emails with him back around the time of NYC '03, he was going to attend one if our events but it never materialized.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You know, David, I really did not mean it to be mean spirited in any way. Hey, who can blame Robert Parker for writing what he believes? He has every right to!
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Lots of truth in that Open Letter, Jim.

We all grew up and no longer need him. I cancelled my WA about 10 years ago. Impossible not to pay attention to what he does - he's like the pink elephant in the room - but by and large his contribution to the wine community has been net negative recently (overall, not net negative).
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

If Lisa Perotti-Brown MW appeared any more relaxed, she'd be _____________;

a '93 Batailley!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You know what would be interesting, Robert, is if he printed an edition with just notes and no scores. Just try it once, see if it results in Armageddon. I'm predicting the sun would still rise.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jim it didn't come across as mean spirited at all. I meant it when I said there was a lot of truth in it, and it was expressed sincerely and respectfully, with no rancor.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Jim, your WS rant was floating around a few weeks ago over there.

I have very little need for overly modern wines. Fortunatley the planet has many other great regions and standout varietals to explore and comprehend.
Glenn
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What? I didn't even know WS still had a message board. This site, of course, had its primordial origins on the original WS website circa 1999-early 2000. My 2005 "vicious" attack on James Suckling occurred shortly after my mother died earlier that year. I was indeed in an extremely angry mindset at the time. Wow, where is Jim Suckling based out of nowadays, anyway? Is he still in Italy?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Where is James Suckling?

He's here...
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

DavidG wrote:Where is James Suckling?

He's here...
What a buffoon.

Gotta envy his access tho!!! What a way to earn a living, eh Jimbo?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

He is a damned good looking man.
Actually, Jim Suckling is out of my doghouse, I'm thinking (hoping) that he's laughing at least a little at the craziness of it all.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote:I'm thinking (hoping) that he's laughing at least a little at the craziness of it all.
From his Villa in Tuscany . . . .

:lol: :lol:
RDD

Post by RDD »

DavidG wrote:Where is James Suckling?

He's here...
I have to give him high marks on his site design and use of video.
Of all the online critics' sites this is on another level.

Adding the face behind the wine with all the video interviews makes it stand out.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

One of the beauties of being BD on this site is that you get to check out the IP addresses of posters.
We now know who "Robert M. Parker" is.
Very interesting indeed. Never would have guessed it in a million years.
stefan

Post by stefan »

The Sucker?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Galloni!
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote:One of the beauties of being BD on this site is that you get to check out the IP addresses of posters.
We now know who "Robert M. Parker" is.
Very interesting indeed. Never would have guessed it in a million years.

Smells like teen spirit. I'm guessing BobbyG on the mike. Or Dr Dre.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nope, all I have to say is you all would be surprised at who it is.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Oh, it is Whuzzup.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha ha you are getting a little warmer but no, it is not Whuzzup.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Then it must be Scott or Rick.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hmm, all I have to say is you would be surprised. Perhaps even shocked.
I am a kind and benevolent dictator but as you know sometimes I have to be ruthless.
It is part of the job of being a dictator.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

I think it's the new WA hottie owner
She found out I'm here and is now stalking me
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Stuart has a hidden sense of humour and won't be attending this year.

Wouldn't be far fetched though Jim to replace one country lawyer with another. Might actually be a good thing for the wine ADVOCATE. Who are they actually advocating for the consumer or the wine industry anyhow? I think the owners have benefited the most from RMP in the last 15-20 years.
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, catfishing again?

All kidding and hoaxing aside, I think Jim would make a great professional wine critic. He's got a consistent palate, he knows what he likes and he doesn't pull any punches.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I think it's the new WA hottie owner
She found out I'm here and is now stalking me.
Prevalence

Research suggests that the severity of the delusions of grandeur is directly related to a higher self-esteem in individuals and inversely related to any individual’s severity of depression and negative self-evaluations.[3] Lucas et al. found that there is no significant gender difference in the establishment of grandiose delusion. However, there is a claim that ‘the particular component of Grandiose delusion’ may be variable across both genders.[2] Also, it had been noted that the presence of GDs in people with at least grammar or high school education was greater than lesser educated persons. Similarly, the presence of grandiose delusions in individuals who are the eldest is greater than in individuals who are the youngest of their siblings.[4]

I hope that clears some things up!!
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

JimHow wrote:
it is pretty hard to dispute that your 100 point scoring system and the related score inflation has had a significant impact upon the astronomical increases in prices. Wines that were accessible price-wise as recently as four or five years ago are no longer available.
Jim, Was it a slow news day recently? :mrgreen:

I was looking forward to buying some 2010 Cantemerle. Since your 94 point rating last month, it has risen in price and disappeared from the shelves of many retailers. It is my fault, of course, not yours, that I waited too long to pull the trigger on some Cantemerle. However, some of us are concerned that Cantemerle will be the next "victim" of the Robert Parker 100 point scoring system, following in the footsteps of such other previously accessible wines like Duhart Milon, Pontet Canet, Pape Clement, Leoville Poyferre, La Lagune, Smith Haut Lafitte, Leoville Barton, etc., etc., etc.

Jim, are you serious? Cantemerle has moved from $35 to $40. It might be more expensive at your local store, but that is not the case all over the world, But more important, if Bob had rated the wine 87 pts, and it remained the same price, would you be buying it? I doubt it. You are only interested in the wine because Parker gave it 94 Pts and it sells for nothing. Isn't that a bit of a double standard?

Your 100 point scoring system has created an obsessive world wide competition for the finest Bordeauxs that has turned the world's greatest wine region into a luxury item for the rich and famous. Bordeaux has gone Rolex on us.

Do you or others have to buy the top rated wines? There are so great Bordeaux wines made today that sell for a pittance, when compared to wines from other in-demand regions.

Also, I think many of us feel that your American scoring system has created a homogenization, an internationalization, a "Parkerization" -- a sameness -- in the wines that are being produced in Bordeaux.

Who is the many of us? Some people agree with you, but I do not see it that way.

Give me the wines of the past -- wines of character, wines of uniqueness -- over these boring, alcoholic, cookie cutter efforts being produced today with the sole intention of garnering the highest Parker points possible.

There are numerous producers that still make wines in a traditional style. And fortunately for fans of those wines, they have not shot up much in price.

There are many out there today who will say that your influence has had a positive impact on the wine making of Bordeaux; that there is stricter selection, more investment in equipment and cellars, etc. That may be true to a certain extent.

What do you mean by may be true to some extent?

I request that you consider retiring from the 100 point system of rating wines, in an effort to preserve the integrity of the wine markets of Bordeaux. I ask that you do it in the best interests of we the world wine consumers on whose behalf you have worked so hard to advocate over the past three decades or so of your distinguished career.

If you were really serious about this, with at least the hope of him reading it, you should post it on his website.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Some fair questions Jeff. I'm tired this afternoon but I'll try to answer your points individually in the next day or so.

Jim, are you serious? Cantemerle has moved from $35 to $40. It might be more expensive at your local store, but that is not the case all over the world, But more important, if Bob had rated the wine 87 pts, and it remained the same price, would you be buying it? I doubt it. You are only interested in the wine because Parker gave it 94 Pts and it sells for nothing. Isn't that a bit of a double standard?
A $35 to $40 increase basically overnight. Gee, Jeff, that's a 15% increase in price, and that's one of the more modest examples of the impact of Robert Parker. But I don't agree that I want 2010 Cantemerle because it gathered a RMP94. I wanted to buy Cantemerle because it's a wine I've been enjoying in recent years, but now because of the worldwide fascination with Parker points, I see it going the way of Duhart Milon, Pontet Canet, etc., etc. Bob Parker has every right to score his wines, and score them whatever he wants. But in doing so he is hurting us consumers, not helping us, because the prices are rising dramatically based on what he says.