New interview with Derenoncourt

Bacchus

New interview with Derenoncourt

Post by Bacchus »

A new interview that touches on a number of issues that we've been discussing lately:
http://www.decanter.com/people-and-plac ... renoncourt
Nicklasss

Re: New interview with Derenoncourt

Post by Nicklasss »

Seem to me that the answer to the question "what is your favorite ever wine", most of the time, the answer is a Bourgogne... Even for a guy that loves limestone from Saint-Émilion... Makes you wonder...

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I've still never had a true epiphany red burgundy. White burgundy, yes, red burgundy, no.

There's a wine guy in Colorado who's main passion is red burg. He's opened many high end red burgs for us that just haven't done much for me. The only red burg that I've really been impressed by was a 2005 that Jim opened once.

I do like Oregon Pinot, and I'm happy to pay $25-$30 for the good ones, but probably not much more. :)
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I have to credit Francois Audouze with making my Burgundy epiphany possible: a 1929 Bouchard Pommard Rugiens straight from the Bouchard cellars served with dinner at the Maison. It changed my concept of Burgundy and is one of my top 5 wines ever, but it didn't change my buying or drinking habits.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Where is Francois these days, is he still posting on the other site?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I've occasionally seen him post on Wine Berserkers.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Funny you should bring up Francois and burg epiphany. He did spring for some mighty (nice) burgs when we met him for lunch in Paris. Of course one was a Coche-Dury Meursault which at any level needs nothing further be said and the other a wicked nice red Corton (I think it is all Grand Cru?) from a producer (which to my surprise was more famous for its Corton-Charlie) whose name escapes me at the moment. Basically I noted that with a wine like the C-D one would not need red wine at all. So my burg epiph happened pretty much on the first at bat. Funny though too that I was not "spoiled" for others by the experience.

Not well acquainted with burgs at all but they seem to me more heterogenous as a group than Bordeaux is. To me most Bords, big or small, taste a lot more alike that most Burgs (and whether we're talking reds or whites) do. I guess it's part "quality" and part "terroir".

Since this is about the interview, I thought it was weak. Not that there's much profound to say about wine.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Never had a Pinot that's much better than Two Buck Chuck!

Michael-P