TN 1982 Ch. Citran, Haut Medoc

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TN 1982 Ch. Citran, Haut Medoc

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I must be the luckiest guy in the wine world when it comes to these inexpensive (then and even now) older cru bourgeois-types that who knows how many people have been cellaring since release. Bought this about a year ago and it's been idling not in the vinotemp but in the ambient 80-62 degree temps for the last four months. This had a great fill well into the neck. The cork was recessed but it came out in super-solid shape with staining only about midway. The wine is well beyond interesting. It's still vital and nicely sweet. A lot of band aid, celery leaf, some orange zest and a sort of well soaked cedar swamp in the bouquet. Color is light and translucent but has a nice hue like dried blood. And it has good sweetness and depth, in a light body, with nice balance, and a nice finish with spicy tannin. Not sure how ling it will hold, certainly long enough for dinner. To me this is like the mircale in the bottle that so many people refuse to believe.

Firing up the grill now. A filet and some lamb chops.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: TN 1982 Ch. Citran, Haut Medoc

This exceed expectations to the extent of two arched eyebrows. Details on the morrow.

http://gifsoup.com/view/2071746/spock-e ... raise.html
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

The band aid could be Brett, which tends to blossom at higher temps. If you are among those who find it appealing, letting your bottles rest for a few months at Hawaiian room temperature will give it a kick-start if it's already there. But you may also encounter some of Brett's other manifestations: barnyard, sweaty saddle leather, etc. which can also add complexity if present in appropriate quantities.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

That band aid and a certain medicinal quality the wine showed on opening just sort of subsided and the wine became an undifferentiated melange of nice spicy-sweet flavors. This wine was just about perfect in the sense there were no obvious detracting elements and it was rounded, balanced and complete with structure appropriate to the flavors. I can imagine some wanting more density to the texture (a little motor oil, anyone?) but this was quite flavorful for the mouthfeel. After 30 years I don't think one could ask for more from a cb. I enjoyed this a lot more than a pop and pour 09 Moulin Riche the previous evening, which seemed hard and hot. So I'll save my other 3 and see what they're like in 15 years or so.

I wish I had a few more of these Citran but it was the only one, or maybe the only one of three that I was prepared to risk the $20-25 on, at Winebid.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Sounds delicious, Art. I like Brett in several of its various incarnations if it is a minor supporting character adding complexity. It does tend to blow off in my experience.
Winesense

Post by Winesense »

Ever tried the 1990 Citran? Could go for Mouton, that one. Old vintages of Citran could be quite great. Unfortunately Claire Villars-Lurton is no langer in charge. 2000 is the last of the great Citran's to my knowledge. It is still to young but has great potential.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Only had this one Citran, though I've been aware of the name since first having read Hugh Johnson's Encyclopedia of Wine. It was worth the wait.

Having had a few 82 cbs on release, it is regrettable that I lacked the interest, mainly, and of course the foresight to just pick up a few cases of these and and even the odd classed growth and of doing the same along the way through the 90s. But circumstances were different then. No place to put them for one. For another, they probably would have been drunk up now anyway.
RDD

Post by RDD »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:...... No place to put them for one. .....
A lot of people don't realize the need to have the space and proper storage.You did!
Better to hold off than ruin the wine in the long run.

I still to this day love drinking almost any 1982.