Champagne Boosts Brainpower

JonB

Champagne Boosts Brainpower

Post by JonB »

Health Watch: Champagne Boosts Brainpower

Researchers serve bubbly to lab rats and see improved memory; two studies look for links between alcohol and cancer

Jacob Gaffney

Champagne may bubble with more than deliciousness. According to research from a team at the Chemistry, Food and Pharmacy department of the University of Reading in the United Kingdom, organic acids in the French sparkling wine actually increase brainpower.

In their report, published in the journal Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, the authors explain that research showing certain chemicals in foods can improve memory is extensive, but there is a lack of data on phenolic acids. The team served Champagne (equivalent to a glass per day for people) to lab rats for six weeks and found the rodents showed an improvement in spatial working memory, thanks to improved cell-cycle regulation in the cortex and hippocampus, the part of the brain that controls learning and memory.

Lead researcher Dr. Giulia Corona said the tests show promise for humans as well. "Daily supplementation with a low-to-moderate doses of Champagne for six weeks led to an improvement in memory," Corona told Wine Spectator, "indicating phenolic compounds in Champagne may interact directly with nerve cells, improve the communication between cells and encourage nerves that carry electrical signals in the brain to regenerate."
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: Champagne Boosts Brainpower

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

"Sometimes I drinks to remember, sometimes I drinks to forget."
stefan

Post by stefan »

Uh-oh. I hope Lucie doesn't read this. We drink enough fizzy plonk as it is.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

But Lucie's not a rat. Me, OTOH... I should be an Einstein by now!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

This study made mrs vino's day, week, year and century.
JamesSmith

Post by JamesSmith »

This campaign is really flabbergast..I am just truly admired the post it is quite amazing..
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wow, a spammer who took the time to post in an appropriately-themed thread. Well done!