2010 Tour Saint Bonnet, Medoc ?????

OrlandoRobert

2010 Tour Saint Bonnet, Medoc ?????

Post by OrlandoRobert »

A beautiful sleeper of the vintage, this is possibly the best wine I-ve ever tasted from this over-achieving estate near St.-Christoly-de-Medoc. A blend of 45% Merlot, 45% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest Petit Verdot, this wine normally sells for about $15 a bottle, making it an absolutely staggering value in the worldwide marketplace. The 2010 exhibits classic cedar wood, tobacco leaf, creme de cassis, licorice and some balsam wood notes in a strong, medium to full-bodied, layered style with good opulence, purity and overall harmony. A real beauty, it should be drunk over the next 4-5 years.

90 points, Robert Parker's Wine Advocate (Issue # 205 - Feb 2013)
$15 at my local retailer.

Anyone try this "sleeper" yet?

I recall the 2005 also being a 90-point "sleeper" and not being that impressed. But hey, you never know.

Unfortunately I'm starting to think my TWA rating formula is TWA - 5 for wines 92 and below and "avoid" if it is TWA 95+.
JimHow

Re: 2010 Tour Saint Bonnet, Medoc ?????

Post by JimHow »

How great can it be if it is only $15?
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote:How great can it be if it is only $15?
Sarcastic biyatch! You need to come to Orlando so BobbyG and I can punish you!

I'm drinking a $15.99 Bourgueil right now that is damn good. Great is a tough measure at any price-point.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Tour St Bonnet has produced decent wines for quite a long time, not that I ever drank one that I would rate 90.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Just giving you the business.
Like mr. Vino, I drank a HWSRN94 Spanish Breca recently, paid $14
It was swill.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

JimHow wrote:Just giving you the business.
Like mr. Vino, I drank a HWSRN94 Spanish Breca recently, paid $14
It was swill.

Like I said, the 2005 was bleh. Just checking tho. Still dreaming of a wonderful $15 Bdx. :o
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Macard...nuff said ;)
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

A classic Médoc, has been great value for money for decades.
Relatively early-drinking wine.
The British import it massively.

Alex R.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

A classic Médoc, has been great value for money for decades.
Relatively early-drinking wine.
The British import it massively.

Alex R.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I thought I had tried the 2010, but could not find any tasting notes on it. Listed below are Uncle Bob's tasting notes on the 2010, 2009, and 2005, as well as my notes on the 2009 and 2005. As indicated, HWSRN only scored the 2010 a 90, the 2005 and 2009 were scored at 88.

My experience has been that this is a very consistent and very good Cru Bourgeois for daily or weekday drinking.

-Ken

HWSRN notes on 2010
A beautiful sleeper of the vintage, this is possibly the best wine I-ve ever tasted from this over-achieving estate near St.-Christoly-de-Medoc. A blend of 45% Merlot, 45% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest Petit Verdot, this wine normally sells for about $15 a bottle, making it an absolutely staggering value in the worldwide marketplace. The 2010 exhibits classic cedar wood, tobacco leaf, creme de cassis, licorice and some balsam wood notes in a strong, medium to full-bodied, layered style with good opulence, purity and overall harmony. A real beauty, it should be drunk over the next 4-5 years.

A member of the Alliance des Cru Bourgeois du Medoc.

HWSRN's First notes on 2010
(87-88) Drink: 2013 - 2017

$10-$24
A well-known, perennial sleeper of the vintage, Tour St.-Bonnet’s wines are always well-made, under-valued and taste like a mini-version of the well-known Pauillac, Grand-Puy-Lacoste. The dark purple-colored 2010 offers copious amounts of blueberry and black currant fruit, a richly fruity mouthfeel, admirable texture and sweet tannin. Enjoy it over the next 5-6 years.

2009 88
A sleeper of the vintage, this consistently over-achieving Medoc has a character unlike a low-level Pauillac. Black currants galore intermixed with some crushed rock, licorice, tobacco leaf and spice box are all present in this deep ruby/purple-colored, medium to full-bodied wine. The tannins are sweet and extra fleshy, and the wine ideal for drinking over the next decade.

This has been one of the most reliable wines in Bordeaux over the last 30+ years, and I have enjoyed many vintages of it. It sells for a song, and the 2009 may turn out to be the best they have ever made. This inky purple-colored wine offers up notes of creme de cassis, spring flowers, and forest floor that seem to have more in common with a classified growth than a petite chateau. Medium-bodied, luscious, and rich, this is a beauty to drink over the next 10 years. (Tasted two times.)
(drink 2012-2022)

2005 88
Reminiscent of a mini-Grand Puy Lacoste with its cassis fruit, attractive aromatics, lush, sweet, medium-bodied flavors, and inky/ruby/purple color, the 2005 Tour St.-Bonnet sells for a fraction of the price of the Grand-Puy-Lacoste. But beggars can’t be that choosy, right? Drink it over the next 5-7 years. (drink 2008-2015)

My Tasting Notes
8/22/2012 - 87 Points

Did not decant but opened about an hour before serving. Much better wine than I expected given some of the early notes. Purple, full nose of plums and leather, moderate length, with an initial touch of heat from tanins and alcohol in the finish. Fairly typical, good, petite Bordeaux at a very good price.

8/12/2011 - 89 Points

This wine just keeps getting better. Casis, spice, and almost a floral quality on the nose. Casis and fruit in the mid-range with soft tanins. Good length on the finish. Just a great wine for the price.

6/22/2011 - I wrote: 89 Points

Did not decant, simply opened and served. Still a very nice wine for a generic Bordeaux. Rush of casis, fruit, mid range moderate tanins, and moderate finish. Still a great value.

5/6/2011 - I wrote: 88 Points
Double decanted and served. Dark ruby/mahogany color, rush of black cherries in the nose, soft, round tanins, reasonable lenght and finish. This is quite a good generic bordeaux for the price and should hold for 4-5 years. Strongly recommended.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I liked the 05, and I believe I also had the 00 which I may have liked better. Most recently had it about 16 months ago:

"Earlier in the week we knocked back an 05 Tour St. Bonnet. This wine should be proud to sport the humble "Medoc" appellation. This has some drying tannin but it has nice cut and plenty of fruit. It's open for biz though still having primary sweetness even as it is no longer just a slug of primaryness structure-wise. As I said at the time, I found this to be one of the most "normal" tasting 05s initially with succulent acidity as I slugged my way through some very sweet and "gooey" wines on arrival. As I've noted, to their credit, all these wines have since dried out quite a bit and should pose interesting drinking down the road. At $12 a throw this can handle most situations calling for Bordeaux and do it guilt-free."

I'd recommend it. It may be a little like methadone to a junkie but it will quell the craving.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

thanks guys, very helpful!
Ken

Post by Ken »

I am glad you brought this up. I was able to locate and purhased a case at one of our local wines shops. Decided to go ahead and purchase a case since I have enjoyed the 2005 and 2009. Look forward to trying it this week.

-Ken
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Funny that the TSB should be likened by none other to a "mini-GPL." IIRC I likened the 2000 TSB to 70% of the 1998 Ducru Beaucaillou. Much of the charm/interest/complexity if not quite the same intensity.