Should you buy a wine rated 89 by RMP?

Nicklasss

Should you buy a wine rated 89 by RMP?

Post by Nicklasss »

Of course, if you're like me, and don't care too much about critics score, the answer is yes. But nothing is perfect, and many people have the dilemma: should I trust my own abilities to taste and appreciate a wine, or read has many critics scores to convince myself to buy a few bottles and having an obligation to like it when I open it, as all the critics liked the wine?

Unfortunately, I think most of the wine buyers follow the "critics rules". It is a false security as even if the çritics liked the wine, you might not agree when you open the same wine (example, the 2003 Péby Faugère for me). But the opposite is also true and a example for me is the 2003 Lynch Bages, that I liked from start, even If the wine was not heavy or overconcentrated or super ripe for this vintage. I bought a few bottles, even If Mr. P gave a good 88-89 to the wine. But, to show how wine évaluation/appreciation is tough, last TN of Mr. P is

Robert Parker 31 août 2011 95/100
Robert Parker 30 avr. 2006 89/100
Robert Parker 30 avr. 2005 88-89/100

So what to think? The wine improved seriously? The two first bottles tasted by Mr. P were off? In 2005 and 2006 Mr. P was not in a good mood? Mr. P in 2011 could not beleive that Lynch Bages has produced "only a 89 points" wine so rate it higher?

Conclusion: try différent wines, be confident in yourself, trust your own nose and palate, and enjoy wine your own way.

Nic
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: Should you buy a wine rated 89 by RMP?

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I've been lucky enough to take in a few 89 point rated Ducrus and Leoville Bs. I think the lesson is those well-reputed brand names (like LB) will deliver value in all but the worst and (paradoxically now that pricing can get so high in the vintage-of-the-century vintages) the best vintages.