Palmer, Vielle Cure

spikegrhm

Palmer, Vielle Cure

Post by spikegrhm »

Had a coule of very different 4's on Saturday. The first was a 1994 CHATEAU PALMER. I last had a couple bottles of this in 1994 ( purchased from auction) to much satisfaction. This bottle was since cellared to see how it would evolve. It had a strong case of the see thrus, a muted nose and a fairly thin palate. Some slight red fruit with a touch of brine. Would have been a nice enough Monbrisson, but, I would have thought a wine of this pedigree would have offered more even if a 1994. Simply no complexity. Not DOA, just not a beauty queen. In the shoulda coulda department, shoulda consumed this in 2006. The next bottle was a 2004 LA VIELLE CURE. I only know this wine as a Bob touted Fronsac having never tasted this bottle.I am a fan of 2004 LB's while having had only a few 2004 RB's. Quite dark still, almost black. Nice nose of dark fruit, although, not huge. Was quite surprised at how much pleasure this wine offered. Nice dark fruit, solid mineral and a touch of dirt - good dirt. Certainly no fruit bomb here !Don't know if I was more impressed with the producer, the year or Fronsac. Maybe all three. I have a few more bottles which I think are riding in prime time about now. Spike