Your take on decanting these wines...

Chateau Vin

Your take on decanting these wines...

Post by Chateau Vin »

Did anyone have these wines recently, and if so what's your take on decanting time for these? All are regular bottles... :?:

86 Gruaud Larose
95 Stag's Leap Fay Cabernet S..
96 Sociando
stefan

Re: Your take on decanting these wines...

Post by stefan »

I would open the Gruaud and Sociando four hours before serving but not decant. The '86 is one of the best ever Gruaud. '96 S-M is of course a long time BWE favorite. Both wines are very good now but have long lives ahead.
jmccready

Post by jmccready »

Delete
Last edited by jmccready on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I learned from François the advantage of slow oxidation over decanting. The benefit for older wines is large. These are fairly young wines, so decanting should be OK, but slow oxidation is more sure.
Claret

Post by Claret »

stefan wrote:I learned from François the advantage of slow oxidation over decanting. The benefit for older wines is large. These are fairly young wines, so decanting should be OK, but slow oxidation is more sure.
I concur on the slow ox method. Take a small pour out the the bottle and create a quarter size opening in the shoulder of the bottle to increase oxygen penetration and you will have a small sample to sniff and finally taste for educational purposes.
Glenn
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

+2

Francois' routine has me convinced. Pour out about an ounce 4-6 hours ahead. if the sample smells good, put the cork back in and let sit. if it smells poorly, leave the cork out. I'm not sure I can explain it, but it seems to work.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

What is the "quarter size opening in the shoulder", Glenn?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

You pour out enough wine so that the exposed surface area in the upright bottle is about the size of a quarter.
johnz

Post by johnz »

Personally, I am not convinced that simply opening and slow-oxing for 4-8 hrs does much of anything for wines less than 30-40 years. I've done it plenty, but without good success with such young wines. I think Francois would agree as I've seen him write that his method is only for "older" wines, and I'm sure he wasn't referring to wines from the '86 or '96 vintage'. I do slow-ox older wines, but I've tried with '86s, 89s and 90s and it just doesn't wake them up the way a real decant does. Heck, even a real decant won't wake up many 96 bordeaux right now, at least not awake enough for me . . .

--Gary Rust
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I tend to agree Gary, but I'd put the '86s in the group that does well with slow-O. A lot of those wines have finally started to show well, with nice complexity and a rapprochement between the tannins and fruit.
jmccready

Post by jmccready »

Is there enough air to wine contact with the quarter size method to really make a difference? Apparently so for older
wines but a 4 to 6 hour wait instead of basic decanting? I have had great results with basic decanting at the moment
of consumption with fellow knowledgeable wine friends, but for those who find the quarter method better-go ahead.
Just open it at 4 before pouring at 7 or 8. Maybe it is worth it.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I've had more success with the slow-ox method than with simple decanting with older wines. I'm not sure if the physics and chemistry of a small surface exposure (I would guess more like a half-dollar than a quarter when I do it) can explain it, but empirically it seems to help the wine show better longer than a decant. As Gary suggests, decanting with its more vigorous and rapid air exposure seems to work better with younger wines.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I often decant younger wines, but that is a matter of convenience. When I plan ahead I open them earlier. The mature but not old '96 S-M and '86 G-L that CV asked about are, for me, wines to be opened around four hours before drinking. The taste check pour seems to increase the exposed surface enough for slow oxidation to work well.
Claret

Post by Claret »

The slow method seems to add a perceptable extra level of definition to the wine. Initial funkiness and bottle stink will begin to dissipate. Way better than pop and pour.

My usual routine is to pull the cork at 9AM, pour a small taste in a small water glass and sniff for TCA. If the wine is sound I will swirl the taste vigourusly and sniff over the next 15 minutes and finally take a sip for a baseline. I usually put the cork back in around noon and then remove it a couple of hours before serving. If the wine is very young or tight I may leave the cork out until serving.

I implore all convention attendee's to open their bottles in advance of the dinners if possible.
Glenn