1999 Vieux Chateaux Certan Disappointment?

Jhcolman

1999 Vieux Chateaux Certan Disappointment?

Post by Jhcolman »

Hi All

I shared a bottle of Vieux Chateau Certan with family over Easter dinner. It was a confusing disappointment. Based on Cellartracker notes and various reviews, I had expected more from this bottle. I have a second bottle. Is this worth holding? Will it improve? Hold till when?

Here is a brief tasting note: Bitter (not sweet) unintegrated tannin. Some greenness. Limited improvement over two hour decant. Distinctive Pomerol fruit, but not enough to balance the tannin. Lighter bodied. I knew this was a tannic vintage, but thought that 14 years in bottle plus 2 hours decant would be enough. Should I have decanted longer? Would it have come around? I'm not sure the fruit will outlive the tannin, as it ages. The fruit is already a tad on the thin side. Might be all tannin and no fruit by my 2025 drink latest date. I have a 2nd bottle, which I will open in 5 years, to hopefully better results. Disappointing! This was my 1st Vieux Chateau Certan.

Has anyone had this 1999? Your thoughts?

Julian
AlexR

Re: 1999 Vieux Chateaux Certan Disappointment?

Post by AlexR »

Julian,

I had this wine two months ago and my experience was very different.
The 99 VCC was served just prior to a 98 La Conseillante... and most of us at table preferred the former.

That having been said, the La Conseillante was still too young, whereas the VCC was a treat to drink now.
It showed all the Pomerol characteristics, especially a unique smoothness and almond/vanilla nuances.

The VCC style is more towards elegance and poise than power.
I do not "contradict" your experience so much as fall back on the adage: there are no great wines, only great bottles.
It is entirely possible that if I had shared that particular bottle with you at your place, I'd have had a similar impression -
or that you'd agree with me it you had shared my bottle at my place!

Best regards,
Alex R.