Thanks to all the BWEers that attend the 09 convention

Nicklasss

Thanks to all the BWEers that attend the 09 convention

Post by Nicklasss »

What a great weekend! It is always fun to taste the greatest wines on Earth, with such a group. Even if we don<t see each other often, it is like the last time was the previous weekend. I especially liked the food at Dino<s. Charlie Palmer was great too. The service was really nice.

Many highlights in that weekend. First, to meet the new BWEers like Blanquito and Tessa was fun. It was too short Patrick, hope we<ll see you back at another convention or offline. Second, to hang out with the regular conventioner was great. I like this size of group better, because I had much more time to spend precious time with some BWers.

For what is about the wines, it is hard to keep taking notes in these events. You<re always talking about everything and nothing, turn your head one side, a BWEers offer you some 1983 Palmer, turn your head the other side, another BWEer is offering you the 1970 Conseillante... For Friday night, at Dino<s, my favorites were the 1996 Cote-Rotie La Landonne from Guigal (what a wine, not so big, complex and defined nose, superb monthfeel, herbaceous, olives, darkberries, bacon fat, and so more), the 1988 and 1998 Chateau de Beaucastel (really my type of Chateauneuf, mourvedre is well defined, superb complex nose, dungy barnyard with black fruit in mouth, superb balance with 13.5 % alcohol), the 1990 Domaine du Pegau Reserve and the (which vintage Rick) Numanthia (yes a beast to start, but after 3 hours in the decanter, it was a seductive concentrated wine, all in jammy blackberries, nobles spices and noble oak).

For Saturday, hard to keep track of everything. My short listing, including the wines from the blind tasting :1982 Certan de May, 1982 Pichon Lalande, 1985 Margaux, 1985 Leoville Las Cases, 1989 Lynch Bages, 1989 La Fleur de Gay, 1970 and 1982 La Conseillante,1982-1988-1989 La Lagune, 1988 Haut-Brion, 1985 Mouton Rothschild, 1982 Leoville Poyferre, 1982 Sociando-Mallet, 1982 Leoville Barton, 1983 Palmer, 2005 Silex from Didier Dagueneau, 1959 Suiduiraut (I did not taste), 1969 Lafaurie-Peyraguey, 1990 Filhot Creme de Tete (I did not taste), 1995 Yquem (wow again). I forget all the Champagnes.

And add to that the 15-16 bottles of Pinot 2005 in Jim<s room.

Hard to say what was the best wine. I had a soft spot for the 1982 La Conseillante, the 1982 La Lagune (what a nose), the 1985 Margaux (my favorite in the blind tasting), the 1985 Mouton Rothschild (so good) and... the 1989 Lynch Bages (yes, I put it second in the blind).

A lot of fun, great generosity from everyone. So much talks. When is the next time... Thank you and don<t forget that part of my emotionnal after dinner speach :

1. I like the people of BWE.
2. I like wines.
3. These convention make my life better and I<m a happier man.

Nic

P.S. many thanks to the better halves too. You<re important to BWE as well. Without you, this whole stuff about the BWE convention would really not be the same.
Nicklasss

Re: Thanks to all the BWEers that attend the 09 convention

Post by Nicklasss »

And, special thanks again to all the people who received me at home, for dinner, overnight, host me in their area, in the last 9 years. I<ll for the ones that were not there, a special gift will be ship in the mail to your attention in the coming weeks. I<m talking about Whuzzup_, AlexR, SteveH, Jscott and Jal.

Nic
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

And lesson learned from that convention : I will do everything I can to always bring 2 bottles of each important wine. I felt so bad when DavidG asked me some 1988 Haut-Brion and it was all gone! Also, I brought a 1989 Troplong-Mondot, that I think was not perfect. Sorry for those who I poured some because I taste it after you, but you probably dump it.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I agree, Nick, it is good to see a lot of girls at these events.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Hey, was it that insane that you guys aren't going to post some kind of attempt at more conventional notes? I understand the situation but those notes from thursday night were incredible. I want to see something from Friday and Saturday nights, too, plus the Burgs.
-Chasse