BWE Dallas '13

jmccready

Re: BWE Dallas '13

Post by jmccready »

I'm not missing the next one. Period. JM
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yes, a great time reconnecting with many good friends and meeting a few new ones. Howard, you did a fantastic job arranging multiple outstanding venues. Everyone's generosity was prominently on display and camaraderie was running high. Thanks to all for making it such a great event.
RDD

Post by RDD »

I'll add to this as the day goes by and I become more functional.
1. Howard and Lisa did a fantastic job with the event. Everything went smooth as butter and there was never a dull moment. In fact I heard a lot of people wishing for a dull moment so they could catch a nap. But we hit the ground running and never stopped till we got on the plane for home.
2.Jim, I've never seen you in such a relaxed and content mood in all my life. Here's hoping for a long run of happiness. Even when you caught some difficult cases and ran out of whoopie pies you were all smiles.
3.It was a lone gunman. And Chris was as cool as a cucumber when he was hoodwinked out of ten dollars on the grassy knoll. The perp (or author) assured us that he knew what had happened. In fact it was so simple to explain, the guy only had to write fourteen books to explain it.
4.Chris and I didn't get any sleep as we were like cabin mates at camp talking all night long. And he saved my VaTech underoos from being left behind.
5.My cheeks still hurt from all the laughter and smiles from the weekend. Danny was one of the ring leaders. And I never knew Tom was on one little game show.
6.Texas BBQ is good. But we would be glad to give some lessons from up here in NC.
7.Glen is a champ for smiling thru all the teasing about his hotel location. Also he'd make a great driver's ed instructor, while Howard might be best as a wheel-man after a bank heist.
8.All the ladies are beautiful, patient, and gracious. We are really lucky to have them in our lives.
9.MichealP should get the Icarus award for the amount of flying he did. Thank God the event wasn't in the hot Texas sun when his wings may have melted.
9.Thanks for treating my co-worker and her husband so well. They not only loved the wines but the explanations and crash courses they received. Joyce has natural talent as she picked out the Merlot in Terte Roteboeuf in an instant. BTW, nice try Jim!
10. Perhaps Bill can explain the physics, but there is definitely a Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts' effect on time. When there is a concentration of lifetime friends, great wines and wonderful dinners, time speeds up and it's over. We need the inverse to happen because I always seems to wipe a tear from my eye and regret getting on the flight home.
More on the wines later but the people are the most important aspect.
Last edited by RDD on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Great post, Rob, it really is bizarre how time just seems to disappear over these weekends.
And it is likewise very poignant to me as well to say goodbye at the end, knowing I'll see some in a year and others who knows when.
I'll post more after I get through this small moutain of mail on my desk.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Very sorry to miss this. We drank a 1990 La Lagune and 375 of 2001 Roûmieu-Lacoste Saturday night with Prime ribeyes. Both receive mr vino's rare Outstanding score. However, they would have been even better at the convention!
SCWine

Post by SCWine »

What a great weekend -- many thanks to you all for including us (Lee and Lori from SC) with the group. Special thanks to Howard and Lisa for an amazing weekend. If you all are ever near Greenville, please stop by for some Bordeaux (and Carolina BBQ)!
RDD

Post by RDD »

The wines from my perspective.There was so much fine wine but you couldn't taste it all. I think Abe Lincoln or maybe Mark Twain said "All the people can't taste all the wines." So if a wine isn't mentioned it may have never made it my way or was forgotten with all the activity.

The Champagnes.Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. There is no better way to start anything than a wonderful bottle of Champagne. And I've never known people to get in too heated a debate drinking Champagne. There's just too much too enjoy and nothing to get hung up about.
The Dom Perignon (2002?) Jim poured as a reception in his room was great. A wonder combination of structure and fruit with refreshing acidity.
I can't remember what was poured for the Thursday event but was busy pointing out to my guests the very nice apple peal. Can someone refresh my memory?
Krug? Pol Roger Blanc De Blanc ? Sir Winston? I don't remember ever seeing the bottle but seemed very high pedigree.
Friday at the "swillfest" the Pol Roger had a creamy texture and riper apple. Just the slightest hint of baked apple.
Saturday I think we had a small grower's club special that had a wonder streak of minerals. I saved some to match with the cauliflower truffled soup.

I have more to say but running my Dad around to some MD appointments.

The events in Boston put a damper on my mood.................................
Last edited by RDD on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claret

Post by Claret »

A great time indeed. Seeing old friends again and making new friendships and getting to eat great food and drink top wines made for a most enjoyable time.

I boarded the plane in a warm Dallas this morning before the tragedy in Boston and arrived without incident in chilly Reno with a smattering of light snowfall coming down in the foothills.

AfterI get caught up on things I will post on some of my wines of the convention and top experiences.
Glenn
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Who can tell us more? Geez you're exciting my nerves!

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Working on it Nic...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Very saddened by events in Boston today, one of the great days in New England.
Very sad day.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It was a lot of fun hanging out at Dealey Plaza with Rob, Glenn, and Chris, debating the single bullet theory. (We ran into Danny and Danielle in the museum.)
I thought I had Glenn and Danny convinced that Oswald was the lone gunman but that damn kooky guy selling his magazines on the Grassy Knoll kept harping on exit wounds and the backward snap of Kennedy's head on the final shot.
I walked the guys down Houston Street onto Elm, showed them where Mary Moorman stood and where the traffic sign was located that blocked the first shot from Zapruder's view.
We stood where Zapruder stood, just a few feet away from the final explosive head shot.
"It was a turkey shoot," as Jim Garrison (and Oliver Stone) would say.
The Sixth Floor Museum is a must-see, a very well done museum at the scene of the crime of the last century.
Attachments
Oswald's lair
Oswald's lair
Dallas2.JPG (149.53 KiB) Viewed 10734 times
View of assassination site on Elm Street
View of assassination site on Elm Street
Dallas1.JPG (226.93 KiB) Viewed 10712 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Winona Chief Chris Bublitz and Mister Rob Dayton....

A couple of very solid men.
Attachments
Chris Bublitz, aka Winona Chief
Chris Bublitz, aka Winona Chief
Dallas 4.JPG (167.91 KiB) Viewed 10717 times
Rob Dayton
Rob Dayton
Dallas3.JPG (153.83 KiB) Viewed 10895 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Bill (aka Stefan) holding a 1970 Gruaud Larose at Howard and Lisa's house, as Glenn (aka Claret) looks on.

The GL was delicious. Popped and poured, it was holding up very well. Our first "real Bordeaux" of the weekend!
Attachments
Stefan, Claret, and 1970 Gruaud Larose
Stefan, Claret, and 1970 Gruaud Larose
Dallas5.JPG (160.5 KiB) Viewed 10706 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

JM, I order you to attend BWE '14, most likely in easily-accessible Washington, DC.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The Saturday night wines were orgiastic? (Is that a word?)

Okay I'll start the list, help me out here guys.

Some of my highlights (very partial list):

1982 Pichon Lalande
1983 Lynch Bages
2002 Haut Brion
1990 Haut Brion
1971 Haut Brion
1981 Haut Brion
1998 Haut Brion
1982 Haut Brion (corked)
1986 Gruaud Larose
1983 Ducru Beaucaillou
1981 Pichon Lalande
2003 Cos d'Estournel
1989 Meyney
1990 Pape Clement
1996 Smith Haut Lafitte

was the '86 Haut Brion there?

What else was there, drawing a blank.

1982 Canon

1990 Pichon Lalande was there, we were drumming up a little controvery at my end of the table.
I thought it was one of the "bad" 1990 Pichon Lalandes, one of the Dallas guys thought it was a good one.
(Those two guys from Dallas were good shits, Howard, they pretty quickly got what BWE is about.)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'll post more notes and pictures in a little bit.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

you know what I thought was very nice? 2003 Lafon Rochet. I think St. Estephe is great in 2003.
Loved the Cos.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Someone said 1989 Pichon Baron was there, I don't recall seeing the beloved Purple Baron.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Friday night Burgundy dinner was a real highlight.
Several of us were discussing how consistently the wines performed.
Someone help me out with thoughts of your favorites, I loved them all!
2002 Pol Roger... Mmmmmmmm1
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

i think I was the only one who thought the 1991 and 1992 Dalla Valles were tops at the California Thursday night dinner.
Another dinner where the themed wines really represented their region superbly.
RDD

Post by RDD »

I think that all the dinners had some great pairing as well as those that made individual impressions.

Cali Dinner
The 1991/1992 Dalla Valle were great.
The 1984 and 2001(?) were a great example of what aging does.
The 1991 Mondavi Reserve made an impression on me. As well as the Dunn and Coach Insignia. The Pride was intensely concentrated. I don't remember the vintages on those three. The 1991 Laurel Glen was totally corked. The 1992 Viader never seemd to give it up and stayed closed and elusive.
I missed the Dominus.
Burgundy
The 1996/1997 Clos St Jacques where wonderful next to each other. I thought 1997 more forward and the 1996 more powerful.
For a 25.00 wine ( when purchased) the 1990 Clos Des Ursules was showing strong. The Chamberton was excellent.
Saturday Night
The 1982 Canon was fantastic. The forth time I've had this and hopefully not the last.
1982/1981 pairing of the Pichon Lalande was great.
1996 Smith Haut Lafitte Rouge AND the 1996 Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc together was a treasure.
At one point I was thrilled to have 1985/1986 Haut Brion and 1986 Gruaud-Larose in front of me for my entre.The 1982 never made it where I was sitting. I did send the 86 Haut Brion down the line with 1990 Pape Clement which I thought was just singing. I don't see how it could get much better.

There was the 1990/1986 Rausan Segla to compare with each other.

The 1967 La Mission was the silkiest wine I think I've tasted.

There where times I was having to do triage on great wines and select what should be tried next.

I'm not worthy.... I'm not worthy.
I'm sure there are others I'm leaving out.
Claret

Post by Claret »

I took a side trip to Ft. Worth on Thursday and visited the Kimbell and Amon Carter art museums. I was rewarded at the Carter with a good size collection of Frederic Remington bronzes and paintings. Both museums are highly recommended but my favorite activity was yet to come.

Jim, Chris and Rob hopped in my rental car and we went to Dealey Plaza and the 6th floor museum to relive history. When you see the actual scene of the shooting and the proximity of the crowd to the motorcade the reality sinks in to a new level. One shooter or two gee I don’t know but the exit type wound logically seems to come from a frontal shot. Maybe the 15th version of the book will finally make it obvious to us all. Chris got a free autograph from the author after he paid $10 for the booklet which he “lifted” from the sales table. In retrospect maybe I should have grabbed a few blades of grass from the knoll. The BD somehow obtained photographic evidence from the 6th floor in defiance of the no photograph rule. Perhaps he had a smartphone malfunction.

I enjoyed Jim’s 2003 DP kickoff in the luxury of the Hilton. My favorite Champer of the week. Howard’s 2009 St. Emilion was a great QPR before we headed out to the Cali Cab dinner.

The peppardelle pasta with meat ragu matched well with the wines. My favorite wines were 92 Montelena, 91? Dunn Howell Mt, 91? Forman, 91 Mondavi Reserve, 94 and 01 Dominus.

The Burgundy’s were across the board a fine bunch. My standouts were 2000 Ponsot Chambertin VV and 2002 Mongeard Mugneret Grands Echezeaux. The mushroom appy and veal medallions with more mushrooms were very good.

Now for the main event. Thanks go out to Howard and Lisa for their hospitality and planning. At Howard’s house the 70 Gruaud Larose kicked the wines into high gear. We had the main dinner in a private room with very good food including a rabbit terrine and an utterly amazing olive oil poached salmon dish. I need to research this technique for home use.

My favorite wines on Saturday were in no particular order 86 Rausan Segla, 90 Haut Brion, 81 and 82 Pichon Lalande, 67 Cos in magnum, 86 Gruaud Larose and 89 Pichon Baron.

On the white side I was wowed by the 90 Loosen Auslese and 1954 Madeira.

I even met somebody whose name escapes me who briefly lived in the town I grew up in.
A hearty thanks goes out to everybody for their companionship and generosity.
Glenn
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

The surgeons and pathologist who took care of JFK that fateful day published a series of articles in JAMA definitively confirming it was one shooter from behind. If you limit yourself to the facts, there isn't a shadow of a doubt.
jmccready

Post by jmccready »

I will obey our BD's order to attend 2014 DC. Only financial ruin or health issues could keep me away, and maybe
those two babies won't even hold me back. Actually will be in DC Oct. 2013 for a Chaine de Rotisseurs weekend
so twice in a year to a great city. Haven't been there in quite a while. Can't remember the best wine shops. Is
Skinflints still there Tom? JM
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Still not back to normal after a marathon cross continent trip home. Left early enough from hotel Sunday at 10:30 to get rental car back for noon and have a relaxing lunch at airport. After lunch checked some emails then looked at departures board to find our flight delayed to Chicago thereby making it impossible to meet our connection to Ottawa. We were rebooked through Newark with a 5+hr layover in Newark getting us in to Ottawa after midnight and home around 1AM. So wound up couldn't sleep and off to the office for 8am. Dead tired and group meeting tonight will not give any time to gather thoughts about weekend events and wines. Simple to say however it was a great success with meeting many old and new friends with wonderful food and wine. Howard and Lisa were gracious and efficient hosts who made the weekend come off without a hitch.

Thanks to everyone and hopefully I'll have some time to gather thoughts about some hilights.
Danny
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Any weekend that starts with a massive traffic jam caused by a horrific bus fire and ends with folks who've been drinking for hours pointing a gun at your head sounds challenging, eh?

But everything in between was fantastic. As others have already mentioned, our Big D hosts Howard and Lisa put together a fun-filled weekend with friends. The venues were terrific, including the lunch-time Bar-B-Que crawl, and what RDD said about our chauffeurs bears re-reading -- if you need to, say, get to the hospital, hm$ is your man! My spring allergies had me at a disadvantage tasting wines, but there were generous offerings a-plenty. A few that cut through the haze included the 2003 Cos d'E and Lafon-Rochet and the '98 Haut Brion (babies all) and the '82 Pichon-L and '89 Pichon-B. Perhaps my favorite of the night was the '83 Lynch-Bages which was a lovely surprise. And the late night '70 VCC wasn't too bad, either.

Thanks again to everyone for their generosity - it was a great long weekend and we can't wait for "next time"!

Ciao,
Tom and Gail
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I still have lots of pictures to post.
I'm with you on the wines, Tom, it had been a long time since I had the 1983 Lynch, it was an absolute beauty.
And the 2003 Cos and Lafon Rochet are going to be stunning.
jmccready

Post by jmccready »

Or maybe it was Pearsons, not Skinflints, in DC that is. JM
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

jmccready - Pearson's is still there. Don't know Skinflints.

Tom -"folks who've been drinking for hours pointing a gun at your head"
WTF?!? What was that all about?
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Jim, I've never heard of Skinflint's either. Pearson's has made a bit of a revival recently, but they have a ways to go to match their David Schildknecht and Josh Raynolds era.

David, midnight or so after the main event. I hear: "Huh, when you pull the trigger, it doesn't go all the way back!" When I look up, I'm staring down the barrel. More quotes: "I have a concealed carry permit" and "Don't worry, the clip is out, see?" from the grinning proud papa. So hopefully the safety was on and there wasn't one in the chamber, right? Eff-ing retard.

I pretty much flipped out, but was informed that I didn't understand "'cuz t'weren't nuthin' but a Texas thang." I won't be needing any more Texas, thank you very much.
Claret

Post by Claret »

My Smith holds one in the pipe and will not fire without the clip. Not something to joke about.
Glenn
hm$

Post by hm$ »

where did this happen?

hm$
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

After the main event, back at the hotel.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Wow Tom. You didn't call the police??
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Jay, I usually try not to get into conflict with a drunk guy with a gun.

"We have met the enemy...and he is us!"
Lucie

Post by Lucie »

Tom, I'm sorry you feel that way about Texas. Admittedly, it was not using good judgement to pick that time to show me he "was packing" but when the owner put the gun down on the bed I was sitting on, he knew I was scared of guns and assured me he had twice checked the chamber and had taken the clip out. From then on my memory of this was that the owner was trying to get the gun back and put away and was in no way playing out the "good old Texas redneck" routine. I'm sure he never meant for anyone to handle it in a careless way. The Texas I know is just as in favor of stricter gun control laws as our neighbors in the northeast.

On a lighter note, our Dallas hosts were wonderful. Thanks Howard and Lisa for a wonderful BWE13! I'm already looking forward to next year's BWE14 and seeing all the people I've grown to consider my family of wine lovers.

Lucie
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

"Not using good judgement" is truly an understatement, Lucie - the gun was being passed around a room full of people who had been drinking for hours! And my recollection of the owner's effort to retrieve the piece are substantially different - he was sitting in the chair, showing me the clip while the gun was across the room. Good to know that the clip out is an interlock on firing some guns. Anyone know how many folks have been killed when gun safety features have failed?

It was surely the weirdest moment in my BWE history, but it didn't dampen my enthusiasm for getting together with BWE'ers again next year and hopefully a few times in between.

Thanks again to Howard and Lisa for a great weekend. They've raised the bar hosting-wise -- if it's back in DC next year we'll surely have to plan some official field trips. The BBQ crawl was a blast.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

BWE has gone gangsta! Wow Tom that's messed up...next year...Kevlar wine totes
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Holy crap. Guns aren't toys. What happened to the good old days when the most dangerous thing in the room at the after-party was this?
Whoopie Pie and Nic Napa 2002 BWE Convention.jpg
Whoopie Pie and Nic Napa 2002 BWE Convention.jpg (36.8 KiB) Viewed 10096 times