1953 Ch. Canon

AlexR

1953 Ch. Canon

Post by AlexR »

My friend and I share a Significant Birthday this year.
So he invited me over to dinner with friends visiting from the US and sprang this on us with the cheese.
One of the other people at table was also born in 1953!

The wine looked younger than its age and the bouquet was very subtle and interesting. Ruminative ;-).
There was definitely a mushroomy component, but not a strong, musty one, and the fruit was extremely soft and ethereal.
There were also some plum and leather nuances.
Quite a change from the 2012s I've been tasting the past 2 weeks!

The wine was a distinguished old gentleman on the palate, with that purity that comes only with age.
It reminded me of nothing so much as really old Cognac where you cannot perceive the alcohol, and it almost tastes like exquisitely-flavored spring water.
In the same way, this 60 year-old Canon had rounded out all its sharp angles decades ago, and is slowly coasting into decline. A wine to savor slowly in order to noticee the characteristics of Saint-Emilion's limestone plateau hidden behind what at first seems at first like an indeterminate old Bordeaux. Scoring such wines is absurd. It was an experience to be enjoyed while reflecting on the passage of time and one's mortality.

One of the guests was Larry Burdick who has several stores in New England selling his gourmet chocolates and was telling us about setting up a factory to process the raw material in Grenada. Fascinating!

Best regards,
Alex R.
RDD

Re: 1953 Ch. Canon

Post by RDD »

Happy Birthday!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Happy birthday Alex and wine from our birthyear is always special.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Happy Birthday Alex! Hope you remain as youthful and bubbly as a just-bottled Krug. And that your cork remains intact!
JonB

Post by JonB »

Happy Birthday Alex.

I've ordered Burdick chocolates a couple of times....I believe the "mouse". It was memorable, more for the name than the chocolate, but no complaints about the chocolate either.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I wasn't sure if you were describing the wine or your life Alex! "...rounded out its sharp edges and is slowly coasting into decline"!!

Happy Birthday Alex!

PS Trying to get Jim excited about BWE 2015 in Bordeaux. A little encouragement on your side of the pond would help. 15 year anniversary sounds good.
Danny
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Happy Birthday, Alex!