Visiting the Médoc

of7271

Visiting the Médoc

Post by of7271 »

Hello all,

I'm disappointed that I didn't have the chance to join for this year's BWE festivities because I was still abroad (I had such a fantastic time last year) but I will most certainly be joining you in 2014 given that it will be conveniently held in the city that I'll be living in once again-- Washington D.C.!

Anyway, I've just come back from the UK and as I shared with the forum a few weeks back, I was on the winning team for the annual Pol Roger sponsored blind tasting match between the University of Edinburgh and University of St Andrews, which you can read more about here: http://www.polroger.co.uk/news/2013/129/. As a result of our winning result, we have been invited by Hubert de Billy to visit Pol Roger in Épernay in early June for a tour of the cellars and a gala dinner. Since we'll have the chance to be in France during the summer, a few team members have expressed interest in also visiting the Médoc. I'm wondering if anyone on the forum can give some guidance as to arranging such a visit and the logistics of traveling around the Left Bank. It would also help if anyone has contacts with various Châteaux in Margaux, St-Julien, Pauillac, Saint-Estèphe, Sauternes, or Barsac. It's likely we'll spend 3-4 days in Bordeaux and we would like to do as much tasting as possible during that time. Any help would be much appreciated!
stefan

Re: Visiting the Médoc

Post by stefan »

Pol Roger is a great place to visit. Lucie and I were house guests of Christian & Danielle one weekend back in the 1990s. They are of the BWE ilk--very warm and welcoming and great fun lovers. On Sunday morning while Danielle went to a memorial service, Christian walked us over to visit P-R. Having a guided tour of the closed facilities by the owner was a wonderful treat.
AlexR

Re: Visiting the Médoc

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

People leave in the summer in Bordeaux, so it can be a challenge setting up a program.

I suggest you start by:
- asking for help from Hubert de Billy (letter of introduction and/or a good word to estates with links to Champagne like Phélan Ségur, Thiénot, Gonet-Médeville, etc.)
- composing a well-written letter or e-mail (preferably in French, but not an obligation) sto send to châteaux stating who you are and asking to vist
- mapping out your itinerary allowing for travel time between estates and about 1 hour to 1 hour and a half per visit

If you wish any more specific advice, please feel free to send me a private e-mail.

Best regards
Alex R.