Boxler, Weinbach, Conn Right Bank etc.

spikegrhm

Boxler, Weinbach, Conn Right Bank etc.

Post by spikegrhm »

Had a group of fellow wino's over last week and pulled a few corks. Did not keep formal notes so I offer limited comments on a few of my favorites.
_2003 Albert Boxler Riesling, Sommerburg, Grand Cru. Pale gold, whiff of petrol with a touch of honey and pineapple. Nice mouth of pineapple. The old girl is showing age as a 2003, but, she is still beautiful. Best white of the night of over a dozen French whites. _2005 Weinbach Riesling, Sommerburg, Grand Cru. Lighter nose and mouth than the Boxler. Would likely have guessed Pinot Gris blind. Still, very nice. _2002, 2003, 2004 Anderson Conn Valley Right Bank. These guys claim to try and emulate Bordeaux as do mot Napa winemakers. I think they do a better job than most.They try to emulate Cheval Blanc with this bottle-60 % C Franc and 40% Merlot. Kinda new world and kinda old world. The 2002 was mostly acidity with little sizzle. The 2004 was a touch over concentrated for the taste of my chums,yet, was lovey in its own style. The 2003 was stunning with everything good from Napa (prodigous fruit) with a great deal of old world charm (leather and tobacco). Quite a fun trio. _2009 Costco Bordeaux trio. I generally stay clear of sub $20 Bordeaux as I generally feel that they do it poorly.However, I think that most of us are finding that 2009 is a bit different. Purchsed these three (Arnauton, Liversan and Camarsac) at Costco for mid teens each from memory. Had these at the end of the night after two dozen other bottles so my taste buds were certainly DOA by this point. Still my generally impression was that these three were worth the cost of admission.Not overly fruity, yet, having simple dark fruit. Nice spine,yet, no tannic beast.These will not make you swoon, but they might make you smile! Cheers Spike