2002 Qupe Central Coast Syrah

Nicklasss

2002 Qupe Central Coast Syrah

Post by Nicklasss »

My last bottle, and tonight with grounded wapiti steak on the bbq, I thought it would be a nice match. Color is still intense, very blood red. Nose is very nice, with some red berries, fennel, fat, smoke and light cranberries. Nose nice even is that 25$ wine has 11 years old... Mouth is different, with some spicy, red berries, cinnamon, red currants and sweet artificiel rasberries flavors. Very spicy on the end, with resolved tannins, and decent long cinnamon and piquante finish. Very nice and no regrets to have keep that bottle for a bit longuer than the others. Thank you, Mr. Bob Lindquist.

Nic
Chasse-Spleen

Re: 2002 Qupe Central Coast Syrah

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I had always wanted to try this wine, but never did until last night, when I tried the 2010. It was a little tight at first, and I worried that it was way too you young. But it softened and filled out very nicely in short order. Great kirsch and cherry flavors. Good med-full body, not over the top at all, balanced. Very northern Rhone in style, in terms of the good CdRs like Mon Couer and Clape. Not quite as good as those, but complete and satisfying. I'm not sure if I would peg this wine to age ten years, but it's possible.

Chasse
jmccready

Post by jmccready »

Great producer and bottle(s) year after year. Can be compared to Rhones but Cal all the way to me. Haven't had one in a while but
all vintages in the past were excellent . Again, Bob L. or one of his delegates have continued to be great. JM
Mike Christensen

Post by Mike Christensen »

I just had a bottle of the 1996 Qupe Bien Nacido Reserve Syrah, and it was very, very good... Still holding up quite well.