TN: 2005 Chasse-Spleen

Chasse-Spleen

TN: 2005 Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

2005 Chasse-Spleen or is that Chasse-Spleen 2005? An important question, because I liked this my namesake wine in the 2005 vintage, but it is hard to say whether it is more Chasse-Spleen or more a 2005.

Double decanted. Opaque, dark purple. My personal chef said it was very extracted but I didn't really see it that way or I am just used to it. Mild or at least hardly over-bearing oak on the nose with rich currant aromas. Full bodied but not syrupy or over the top. Lush, velvety texture. Long, expansive finish. Balanced, dry, primary and young. A hypothetical cross, I imagine, between the modern and the classic style in that it obviously needs time but is still enjoyable. Quite tannic, I forgot to mention. The tannins come out after more air time, starting out at the sides and moving towards the middle in the second and third hour. Lacks complexity at this juncture. I imagine it will develop a lot more of that with time. I think this wine will age well for a very long time, unless something is seriously weird/strange about it, it should make it to age twenty no problem. A rich, enjoyable and good QPR wine, but the Chasse-Spleen character is not in evidence yet, unless we go by the simple definition offered by the first third of this sentence. So completely different from the 2006! But that is the essence of Chasse-Spleen, a true Bordeaux wine, terroir-driven and different in each vintage.

-Chasse
Bacchus

Re: TN: 2005 Chasse-Spleen

Post by Bacchus »

Chasse, would you happen to know were the 2000 Chasse-Spleen is in its evolution? I have no 05s, but I know I have some 00s somewhere in the cellar.
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Had the 00 about 2 years ago and it was drinking nicely already.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Yes, I agree with Hound. I had one about two years ago. It was great. Break one out!
:twisted: