TN: A 2003 Bordeaux tasting

Harry C.

TN: A 2003 Bordeaux tasting

Post by Harry C. »

There seems to me to be a lot of negative comments about this vintage but I see only an occasional tasting note from the vintage to back up the negativity. Also, Neal Martin attended a 2003 tasting and was "disappointed with how they are aging." But it's their 10 year anniversary, so I decided to host a tasting. The order were the 2 Germans, then Right Bank, then Left Bank. Ending with a Sauternes. (How they got in this order in the note is beyond me.)
  • 2003 Château Branaire-Ducru - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (6/2/2013)
    Nose filled the glass. Rich, spices, cloves very balanced. Just wanted to smell this for hours. Taste was rich yet medium weight, great finish. Wonderful. One of the tasters had never heard of this 4th growth, but she will seek it out again. (95 pts.)
  • 2003 Château Monbousquet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (6/2/2013)
    Deep garnet (all of the 2003s had similar color) Modern nose but still all Bordeaux, rich mouthfeel, youngish side, no tertiary notes yet. When given a Cali summer, I guess you make a Cali wine. This did and did well. (93 pts.)
  • 2003 Château Rieussec - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (6/2/2013)
    Gold. Nose with a hint of Elmer's glue, Vanilla cream. Taste rich, reminds me of the 1989 in that the sweetness overwhelms to a degree the balancing acidity. But still a lovely finish. (93 pts.)
  • 2003 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (6/2/2013)
    Pale yellow. No sulfer nose here. Floral, perfume nose. Taste is medium rich and medium sweet, smooth, floral, hint of acid on the end. Delish (93 pts.)
  • 2003 Château Calon-Ségur - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (6/2/2013)
    Caramel nose and taste, medium weight. Kinda odd but I kinda liked. My sweet tooth and all. Short finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2003 Château Pontet-Canet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (6/2/2013)
    Shy nose that opened somewhat with airing. Touch of Elmer's glue, spices. Taste rich, mouthfilling, asian spices. Young. With a plus. (91 pts.)
  • 2003 St. Urbans-Hof Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (6/2/2013)
    Pale yellow. More minerally-some say more sulfery than the JJ Prum tasted at the same time. Some citrus in the nose also. Medium weight mouth, lighter than the Prum, nice finish (91 pts.)
  • 2003 Château Troplong Mondot - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (6/2/2013)
    Shy nose and mouth. Clearly still in a shell. Tightest of the night. Nothing off just diminutive. Give it time. Add a plus to the score. (90 pts.)
  • 2003 Château Pavie Macquin - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (6/2/2013)
    Overripe nose, never fully blew off. Taste was also hints of plums, overripe fruit. I'm not sure if this was an off bottle or representative, but if the latter, a miss in this vintage. Note-others at the tasting liked better than I and I usually like P-M under Derenoncourt, but not this time (88 pts.)
Nicklasss

Re: TN: A 2003 Bordeaux tasting

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks for the report Harry.

Even If I don't own any of these, always fun to read. The Branaire-Ducru seems very nice.

In that "weird warm" vintage, I have Duhart-Milon, Sociando Mallet, Cantemerle, Lynch Bages and Pichon Baron.

The 2003 Château Haut-Bailly I opened lately was very nice.

Nic
jal

Post by jal »

I agree with the score for the 2003 Branaire Ducru, probably the best wine I have had from that 2003 vintage.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

You tempt me to crack open more cases of 2003 Bordeaux.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Stefan, generally I would wait a bit longer, unless the Branaire is in your possession. And for New World-ish, the Monbousquet. Luckly, I trusted my own tastes early on and was able to snag a 3 L bottle of the Branaire-to be opened at such time I deem appropriate.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Unfortunately, Harry, I neglected to buy '03 Branaire.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Depending on your desire I would bet auctions would be a reasonable place to get a few-doubt if they are heavily faked!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nice review Harry. I've been quite positive on the 2003s from the outset and have not had a disappointing bottle. Looking forward to trying the Branaire especially after your notes. Monbousquet always gets ragged but I like this feminine modern style.

Du Tertre is drinking beautifully now and will continue to get better.
Danny
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I've yet to have a Branaire I didn't like but regretably I don't have that one.

Generally I've been pleased with 03. I find it an interesting vintage.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Harry,

"Touch of Elmer's glue." On the surface, I am not excited by that phrase. I was hoping that Pontet Canet had avoided the most of the challenges of this vintabe. But that phrase causes me to pause. What is your take on both the basic profile (in context of typical Bordeaux wines) and your specific assessment of characteristics and aging profile of this wine. I'm personally curious because, upon recommendations of BWE members, I purchased a case (followed by another case) of this wine.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

JC-I usually get Elmer's glue in Sauternes. At a tasting I attended a while ago the Sauternes wreaked of Elmer's. A discussion followed and the majority felt it was how Volatile Acidity usually presented in sweet wines. In the P-C, I got a whiff and so I reported it. But it was not a major player in the whole of the wine. In red wine, I have rarely encountered this smell, so I would place it in the flaw column. With regard to aging it needs some time-3-5 years at least.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Harry C. wrote:JC-I usually get Elmer's glue in Sauternes.
Is that why they call them "stickies?" :mrgreen:
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Dave, maybe so. But I usually drink Sauternes on Arts and Crafts day so that may have something to do with it!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

As long as you don't drink them in a Root Day, Harry!
AKR

Post by AKR »

Harry C. wrote:There seems to me to be a lot of negative comments about this vintage but I see only an occasional tasting note from the vintage to back up the negativity. Also, Neal Martin attended a 2003 tasting and was "disappointed with how they are aging." But it's their 10 year anniversary, so I decided to host a tasting. The order were the 2 Germans, then Right Bank, then Left Bank. Ending with a Sauternes. (How they got in this order in the note is beyond me.)
  • 2003 Château Branaire-Ducru - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (6/2/2013)
    Nose filled the glass. Rich, spices, cloves very balanced. Just wanted to smell this for hours. Taste was rich yet medium weight, great finish. Wonderful. One of the tasters had never heard of this 4th growth, but she will seek it out again. (95 pts.)
We had a nice bottle of the 03 Branaire Ducru last night, just popped and poured, at a local BYO friendly place. It was great. More full bodied than the estate usually is. I don't think there was anything particularly 'hot vintage' about the wine, outside of the body. For my tastes, the problems with the heat were more on the right bank.

Last few nights, we've been lucky with wines showing very well - Friday was a 94 Tudal that was a solid A, and then this St Julien, also a solid A.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I had the 2003 Branaire Ducru twice in 2015 with very different results, though noth were bottles I'd cellared since release.

July 24, 2015 - Pop and pour and drunk over 3 hours. Dark red to rim, nice nose of cassis, dark berries/cherries, hints of iodine give way to mint, chocolate and fresh earth over time. Medium body, ripe fruit, low acid but not flabby, flavors follow the nose, medium-long finish, tannins come forward at the back palate after a few hours. Should drink well for years. Excellent.

December 25, 2015 - Double decanted. Too young and tannic, not ready, seems like the fruit is there, will try tomorrow but will leave remaining bottles for another 3-5 years.

Sounds like it's time to try another one.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Sniffing glue??? I gotta party with u Harry!!! Lol

Thanx for the notes...I am waiting at least 5 more years to pop the Pontet....would have loved to have seen the Sociando and some Margaux's in the line up.