2000 Ch. de Viaud, Lalande-de-Pomerol

AlexR

2000 Ch. de Viaud, Lalande-de-Pomerol

Post by AlexR »

In honor of a significant birthday, I was kidnapped by the family and taken to the l’Auberge de la Truffe in the Périgord for a gastronomic weekend that included an afternoon lesson in how to prepare and cook duck (magret, aiguillettes, rillettes, foie gras mi-cuit, confit). In the evening, back in Bx., we had the magret with a 2000 Ch. Viaud, Lalande de Pomerol. This had a lovely plummy bouquet overlaying truffle aromas. An empyreumatic quality on the palate, which showed a smooth texture, medium weight and a fairly long aftertaste. Nice to drink now. Truly, the best Lalandes are right up there with second tier Pomerols… I doubt I’ll have this wine again since the estate has been sold to the Chinese.

Seeing as we came back with 1.5 kilos of foie gras that needs to be eaten within the next two weeks, I have no other option than to host a foie gras party at the house next weekend with plenty of Sauternes!

Best regards,
Alex R.
DavidG

Re: 2000 Ch. de Viaud, Lalande-de-Pomerol

Post by DavidG »

Happy Birthday Alex! Sounds like a fun adventure in cooking.

Tell me why the sale of an estate to Chinese owners makes it unlikely that you will have the wine again. Do you anticipate higher prices or less local availability?
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

David,

More a question of availability.
But maybe I'm being defeatest here.

The Chinese have bought in excess of 35 châteaux in just the past several years.

I say "more power to them".

It would be pretty hypocritical to begrudge Asian foreigners from buying what other Europeans and Americans have bought...

So far, the Asians have not been big on the négociant front. Perhaps it is just a question of time.

Alex R.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Alex -

Can foie gras be frozen, or even if, is the shelf life short? I have about 1/2 pound left over from a Thursday night party and was told to freeze it. Was planning on using it next week. Think it will be ok?

Thanks.

Robert
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I've frozen foie prior to cooking. Never had any left over after cooking - just can't imagine that ever happening if I'm around.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

David -

You need some context: BobbyGoulet brought over an engorged liver (not his, the goose's), that was as big as a lung. Huge. We already had 6 racks of lamb for 6 guys (1.25-1.5 lbs each), in addition to an array of sausages, cheeses, risotto, salad, etc. BobbyG would slice a piece off the liver, sizzle it on a hot pan, then pass it to us "hot off the grill". We hung around him like ravenous wolves. Rumor has it he met his wife this way.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Robert,

I would tend not to freeze foie gras, but did some Web searching.
It would seem that it is not such a good idea for uncooked foie, but the other kinds should be OK.

Alex R.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I did bring over my engorged liver....we just didn't fry it up
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

robert goulet wrote:I did bring over my engorged liver....we just didn't fry it up

I would have cracked open a Chianti!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I've got to spend some time with the Orlando crew!

I froze half a liver, uncooked, on the recommendation of the folks who sold it to me. It was still delicious a month later.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I agree David. We have frequently purchased a whole foie from our local duck/goose foie gras farmer nearby. They sell it fresh and frozen. Whether left overs or just not ready to consume after visiting the farm we often have some in the freezer. Because of the high fat content(aka butter) it freezes very well and can sit longer in the freezer than most meet as long as it is vaccum packed or suck the air out of a freezer bag. Weve never had an issue with off taste. Next to France the French Canadians have a love affair still with foie gras and thats not such a bad thing having the pleasure of living with one for decades!
Danny
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

OrlandoRobert wrote:
robert goulet wrote:I did bring over my engorged liver....we just didn't fry it up

I would have cracked open a Chianti!
And some fava beans.