A 2000 and a 2001

Nicklasss

A 2000 and a 2001

Post by Nicklasss »

Sorry for Jim, i did not stopped my choice on the 2003 Chateau Lynch Bages, but on the 2000 Château Canon La Gaffelière and the 2001 Château Branaire Ducru.

They went well with the meal, but everyones favorite was the St-Émilion.

The 2000 CLG is just at a nice spot right now, with a medium bloody red color, a gracious powerfull nose of cherries, dark berries, minerals, light spices (cinnamon and light cloves) and something like creamy rasberries. In mouth, very St-Émilion, with dense fruity attack on rasberries and red currants, strong minerals, light earthy notes, more berries and a long dense final with ripe tanins. Light touch of residual oak. An awesome wine. Kind of rating like 92-93.

The 2001 BD took way more time to open in the decanter. It was a bit darker than the St-Émilion, an when it was open, a complex nose of blackcurrants, tea leaves, tobacco, dark berries, green peppercorns and something like graphite. A nice nose. The mouth was a bit more less defined, tougher tanins than the first wine, but with good flavors of blackcurrants, very light blueberries, tobacco, earth and a medium oaky dark berries finish. Dryer tannins made it shorter, but a nice St-Julien anyway. kinda rating of 90. A first bottle of that wine opened a few years ago was more seductive and full.

Both wines were satisfying so Bordeaux is very good, when hé wines are good.

I have another dinner tonight with friends and my brother, and tomorrow with my parents and my brother, so more to come.

nic
dstgolf

Re: A 2000 and a 2001

Post by dstgolf »

Nice notes Nic. CLG has my soft spot especially since visiting with the count in the 2005 BWE venture. I think they are making pretty solid under rated wines across the board but CLG is always reasonably priced and consistently good. Enjoy your family weekend while I suffer through being ON CALL!!

Danny
Danny
dstgolf

Re: A 2000 and a 2001

Post by dstgolf »

PS Happy Canada Day!!! :D
Danny