TN: Wide mix of notes with a narrow point range.

Harry C.

TN: Wide mix of notes with a narrow point range.

Post by Harry C. »

• 1989 Bodegas Muga Rioja Gran Reserva - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (6/29/2013)
    Garnet. Nose was brilliant, rich, tobacco, anise, cedar. Taste was medium weight, rich, lovely and one of the best at a tasting of non-Cabs. Served from Magnum. (95 pts.)
  • 1993 Château Pajzos Tokaji Esszencia - Hungary, Hegyalja, Tokaji (6/29/2013)
    Dark brown. Nose of molasses, honey, lemon rind. Taste mouth coating-literally!-richest of the rich, very sweet, very long lasting. Whaps you upside the head with a 2x4, subtlety be damned. (95 pts.)
  • 1995 Etude Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (6/29/2013)
    red garnet. Nose was bothered by bottle stink initially but clearly opened to a Cab mellow with age-some tobacco, tarragon, plums, blackberries. Mouth was great, rich, long lasting. Wonderful. Decant. (94 pts.)
  • 2004 Marcassin Chardonnay Three Sisters Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (6/29/2013)
    Gold. Mellow vanilla, lemon cream, buttery nose. taste was mouthfilling, rich strong,vanilla cream, citrus, kiwi. Good. (94 pts.)
  • 2008 Peter Michael Chardonnay Ma Belle-Fille - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley (6/29/2013)
    Pale gold. Nose more on the butterscotch, lemon cream, vanilla. Taste was the same, smooth, rich, no alcohol heat. Nice (93 pts.)
  • 1990 Smith & Hook Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Central Coast (6/29/2013)
    Garnet. Nose was like a mix of Cab Sauvignon and Cab Franc. (label says 100% CS) Blackberries and green herbs-usually a negative but this was somehow a nice part of the whole. Taste was similar, blackberries, tobacco. Quite a surprise. (92 pts.)
  • 2005 Peter Michael Pinot Noir Le Moulin Rouge - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (6/29/2013)
    Garnet. Nose floral but more structured than the others at a recent tasting-perhaps still young? Taste was rich, floral, berries and hint of cherries. Nice. (92 pts.)
  • 2008 Aubert Pinot Noir UV Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (6/29/2013)
    Garnet. A Cali Pinot that recognizes that it is to be a Pinot. Not a Cab wannabe. Floral nose with rich berries and black cherries. Mouth similar. A different animal than Burgundy, but still nice. (92 pts.)
  • 2007 Morlet Family Vineyards Pinot Noir En Famille - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (6/29/2013)
    Garnet. Berries and anise in the nose. Taste was similar to some others at the tasting, perhaps a little young yet. (91 pts.)
DavidG

Re: TN: Wide mix of notes with a narrow point range.

Post by DavidG »

Quite a collection, Harry, sounds like a nice party! I have a few of those Pajzos Esszencias and am waiting for a larger gathering to open one. A little goes a long way. Had an '07 Belle Fille a few days ago that was outstanding, maybe in part because it was paired with grilled rockfish we'd caught just hours earlier.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Nic,

I see you've been a buy boy lately :-).

Aren't those old Riojas just so good?

And Tokaj clarely doesn't have quite the reputation it deserves...

We had a "foie gras party" because I had a kilo and a half of the stuff to serve (it was "mi-cuit" and doesn't keep).

So, there were about 17 of us at the house.
Sauternes: 06 Piada, 03 Laville, 01 Filhot
Pessac Léognan: 07 Brown blanc
Côtes de Bourg: 09 Haut-Macô
Lalande de Pomerol: 09 Bel Air Chevrol
Port: 05 LBV Passadouro

AlexR.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Um, make that "busy boy"....
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Alex, which did you think went the bet with the foie gras?
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Harry,

Probably the Filhot.

By the way, how hard is it to buy foie gras in the US?
Can you find the "mi-cuit" kind that's kept refrigerated?

Alex
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Alex-I had to look up "mi-cuit" and the best English version is partially cooked. Yes, you can buy fresh foie gras in certain farms that do this-Dartagnon is in upstate New York, IIRC and I likely the best known. They make their own.. Certain states, namely California, have outlawed the sale of Foie gras due to the perception of animal cruelty.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

i have the '02 etude, i was thinking about popping it, but maybe i need to hang on this for a bit