Need Restaurant Recommendations for Williamsburg, VA

RDD

Need Restaurant Recommendations for Williamsburg, VA

Post by RDD »

We are traveling to Williamsburg, VA in mid-July and if any of you have any restaurant recommendations it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Susan
Harry C.

Re: Need Restaurant Recommendations for Williamsburg, VA

Post by Harry C. »

The best restaurant/wine list is in the hotel IIRC. But the restaurants on the grounds are fun and decent.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

We've eaten at Cafe Provencial and fat Canary and weren't disappointed. Can't remember the name of this place that had vey good food attatched to a wine store with same owners. $10 markup on any bottle you bought in stare and they'd serve it for dinner. Thought it was a great concept. Sorry can't remember the name but maybe you could ask the locals in a wine store where it was because that's how we found it.

Have fun and should be steamy at that time but I guest you're used to that weather.
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Was it Iron Bridge Wine Co. Danny? The have (had) 2 locations, one in VA and one in my neighborhood. Food is excellent, occasionally outstanding. They have a wine store integrated into the restaurant with a $10 markup. But the owner just bailed out of the VA site - not sure what is happening to it.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Honestly can't remember David but the name and your description are bang on for the place that we were at.

A funny story from this place. We were on a golf trip to Williamsburg with the guys and we stopped into this place and bought a case of wine for the week. Second night I opened a bottle,sniffed and tasted....wine badly corked! My buddy goes it's just fine so I said you drink it. I opened another bottle for myself and it was great. He said he really was enjoying his so I never offered to let him try the one I was drinking. When his was more than half gone he grabbed my bottle and tried it. He was shocked at how much better mine was so he quickly finished mine off and we got into this discussion about corked wines and how foolish he had behaved.

With less than half a bottle of the corked wine left I saved filled it part way up with some dregs from the night before and topped it off with water. In the afternoon next day we returned to the store and I said the wine was corked. At home they just take it back sight unseen. Here the guy went next door to get a glass
poured,sniffed and tasted. He said yes mildly corked,somewhat pale colour for the wine and definitely dilute muted fruit for this wine. I couldn't hold back my smile and congratulated him on how astute he was in his description but didn't fess up to adding another wine and water. He didn't hesitate to replace the bottle at the dismay of my buddy and we still razz one another about that story.
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I got a good laugh out of that one! Thank goodness you didn't fill it with the contents of a dump bucket.